Neighbours, dogs, help me out here

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Neighbours, dogs, help me out here
  • Alright, so, our delightful neighbours have a dog. Small yappy type hairy rat type thing that has never been walked or trained I and yaps continually when it is put outside then yaps when it is brought back in again. Bought for the daughters birthday, who carried it around outside for about three days and has never been seen with it since, so that should give an idea of their dog skills.

They also own the fence between us.

Which is rotten.

Their dog has now made a hole and got through to our garden.

They’ve decided to have an argument with my better half, blaming our dogs for damaging their fence (be surprised – our dogs haven’t damaged the fence panel, it’s fallen apart through old age and rot) and are refusing point blank to replace the rotten fence panels.

Our dogs are both a country mile bigger and heavier and will go for it, if it comes through again.

Ye gods.

Right, so, help me out here, if the irritable little thing comes through and gets bit, or worse, where do we stand?

Obviously I’m planning to lean something against the panel.

ads678

TBH honest I couldn’t really be bothered with the hassle and would just replace the fence panel and tell them to shut their **** dog up.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

if the irritable little thing comes through and gets bit, or worse, where do we stand?

In the dock.

hth.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Report to Council and RSPCA

Anonymously, obvz.

Bask in the glow of inaction from both organisations.

You could kick it in the face of it comes into your garden BTW.

Premier Icon db
    Subscriber

Let natural selection take its course and you no longer have a neighbours dog problem…

(I would just block up the fence your side and move on, life to short etc etc)

bertmason

If it comes into your garden report it to the council dog warden as a stray. If it’s taken to the pound and they have to pay to get it back they might think twice about leaving it out.

If you want to stop it coming into your garden just replace the panel.

And report the noise to Environmental Health at council. Obviously speak to neighbour first about how it’s making you feel.

would just replace the fence panel and tell them to shut their **** dog up.

It’s not our fence, i.e. not our property. I’m pretty sure we shouldn’t touch it.

Sadly they’re unable to shut their dog up, owing to aforementioned lack of dog skills.

As mentioned I’m clearly going to block it from our side, I’m just wondering what the legal position is if our dogs bite their dog after it comes through. Or, even, if it bites us after coming through.

And report the noise to Environmental Health at council. Obviously speak to neighbour first about how it’s making you feel.

Think we’re long past speaking about our feelings to them.

At one point, they told the neighbours on t’other side that they only got the dog to cover up the noise of their kids crying.

That was a two year old, going through a phase of waking up at night, by the way.

Interesting point about Environmental Health.

scud

Supersoaker and some gaffa tape?

If it repeatedly noisy though, then report a Noise Complaint? But i would of thought you could not be held accountable of their dog gets attacked on your property, they are in control of both the dog and the fence. Any neighbours that you know that i would also file a few complaints, power in numbers?

If it bites you after coming through the fence you can sue the neighbours and have the dog put down. If it bites your dogs you can sue for vet fees etc, and report the dog to rspca / dog warden etc as a loose dangerous dog.
    May not improve your relationship with the neighbours though…..

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Our dogs are both a country mile bigger and heavier and will go for it, if it comes through again.

There’s your answer

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Well, I’ve searched here and here and nothing says you can be sued if their dog, comes onto your property through their neglected boundary, that you could be prosecuted. I mean the law can be an utter and complete arse, but who would find you at fault if that happened!?
    Put in an official complaint about the dog/dog owners and then at least you have something on record for if/when something more serious occurs.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

That should sort it out then. Why would you have any liability in those circumstances – not your fence, not your dog.

Or you can prop a bit of board against the broken fence.

Just to be perfectly clear, I am going to prop a board over the hole, I have no desire to see their dog eaten!

yetidave

in the GIF thread, there was one where a squirrel came along a fence onto a feeding station, where it was then launched back into the woods. a similar thing could be set up for small dogs i imagine…

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

Just to be perfectly clear, I am going to prop a board over the hole

You need to use the board to BLOCK the hole, not make it perfectly clear.

HTH.

Pit of sudocream of your side of the fence hole?

fasthaggis

Go for the long term solution.
    Roll large stone up against hole.
    Register with Warmshowers.org , eventually TJ will turn up on his touring tandem.
    Then do a Mott The Hoople.
    He will then kick the small dog in the face.
    🙂

globalti

Forget Environmental health, the best you’ll get is a request to keep a diary of the nuisance and then, months later, a noise meter. We know this because all our neighbours are being tormented by their neighbour’s cockerel, which we don’t hear luckily.

How about a catapault?

Premier Icon bodgy
    Subscriber

Personally, i’d be stapling a length of wire mesh fencing/ pig netting from post to post across the broken panels.

Although, that said. the pit of Sudocrem suggestion is brilliant, if a little weird.

Ro5ey

Let the dog come into your garden…… and leave your back gate open.

Bye Bye yippee dog

Good luck

globalti

Let the dog come into your garden…… and leave your back gate open.
    Bye Bye yippee dog

Best suggestion yet!

I feel your pain. We are dog lovers and have 2 ourselves but there is nothing worse than incessant dog barking caused by lazy owners and frustrated dogs.

We had it for an entire year. Neighbour had a little jack Russell which never got out of their back garden despite 4 people who could clearly do with the exercise. It came to a head when I pooped my head over the fence during the summer and shouted “if you don’t shut that effing dog up I am going to come round and shove it up your arse”. It went quiet fairly quickly. Funnily enough it was only seen for a few days more and then disappeared. I think it was a rescue and must have been returned.

I got a few thank you’s from other neighbours after that incident.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Borrow some electric fencing, a single strand set at yappy dog height. The shocker needs to be set at cow or horse output. Dog will stop coming though the fence after the second or third shock max.

Good ideas, keep them coming.

Not sure about viability of leaving the gates open, we don’t want our own hounds getting loose!

Can’t afford a pit full of sudocream. Knowing me as I do, I’d probably fall into it somehow before the small dog did.

i’d be stapling a length of wire mesh fencing/ pig netting from post to post across the broken panels.

Probably doing similar with a couple of bits of ply about 30 or 45 cm high, screwed to adjacent fence posts.

Jakester

We had it for an entire year. Neighbour had a little jack Russell which never got out of their back garden despite 4 people who could clearly do with the exercise.

We have this with some neighbours whose dogs go mental between 10.30pm and 11.30pm every single night, generally just as you’ve turned the lights off and are about to go to sleep.

A few evenings of a partially clad me at the bedroom window waving a torch around seems to have stopped the worst of it, but I’m waiting for the complaint about indecent exposure…

Jakester

Probably doing similar with a couple of bits of ply about 30 or 45 cm high, screwed to adjacent fence posts

Just have a bit of impromptu archery practice in the garden (reasonable excuse, see?) and leave some sharpened sticks pointing towards the hole. Problem solved.

Nico

Forget Environmental health, the best you’ll get is a request to keep a diary of the nuisance and then, months later, a noise meter.

My upstairs neighbour went through all this with a good end result, though we live in a VERY posh area where the locals don’t just turn round and tell you to foxtrot oscar. They probably didn’t realise that they were upsetting anybody.

Anyway to answer the question you’d be open to prosecution if your dogs munched the intruder even though it was on your property.

Hmm, ok. Thought that might be a possibility. Even though it is their fence that has been broken by their dog?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Forget Environmental health, the best you’ll get is a request to keep a diary of the nuisance

My experience of the EH is that they’re toothless but that’s still good advice, collect evidence to quantify the problem rather than just going “it barks a lot.” One man’s “a lot” is another’s “once a month.”

How about a catapault?

That’s no use, you need a dogapult.

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

Small yappy type hairy rat type thing

Ratapult, Shirley?

Let dog enter your garden
    Put dog in a box
    Take dog and box for a nice long drive
    Return sans box and dog
    Enjoy the peace and quiet of your new found bliss

Or do what I did, and offer to put a stick up its arse if it doesnt stop barking. Neighbour now dont let their 3 ultra gay dogs out next to mine

Premier Icon orangespyderman
    Subscriber

their 3 ultra gay dogs

🤔

mattyfez

It’s really sad and annoying that people get dogs and then don’t give them attention, and that leads to an unhappy dog and angry neighbours.

Complete arse holes.

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

When the dog next comes through the fence befriend it.. pop it in the car and take it for a drive to the next town and release it. Hopefully it’s not chipped.

+1 what mattyfez says – it’s not the dogs’ fault, they’re obviously bored and in need of some attention. Target the owners instead… 😉

Onzadog

Get some dog toys and some cheese cut into small pieces.

When the dog comes through, take it for a walk, play some games with it, do some engagement work and training with it. Exhaust it. When finished, pop it back through the hole and wait for it to go to sleep.

When it’s recovered, do the same again.
    No more barking as it will be a much happier dog. Maybe take it out with your two and this will reduce the likelihood of them chomping it if they think they’re all the same pack.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

Both my neighbours have yappy dogs so I feel your pain (although the woman on one side occasionally yelling at her dog to shut up is actually more annoying than the dogs). Not much can be done really, I sometimes passively-aggressively play music/TV really loud but that’s about it, not the dog’s fault either.

In your situation it’s a bit tricky with the fence, if it’s a boundary between your gardens I’d normally offer to pay half the costs of replacing the rotten panels but if they’ve already accused you of damaging them then I wouldn’t. Possibly consider putting up your own fence on your side of the boundary but that’s not cheap.

For clarity, I don’t blame the dog at all. Perhaps the phrase “irritable little thing” belies my feelings toward it. It’s bored. It yaps. The lady of the house then yells at it. Every time. Draw your own conclusions.

Onza, sadly not enough hours in the day to do that effectively with our own hounds let alone charity work for the bored thing next door.

FuzzyWuzzy, exactly all of that. I would have been perfectly happy to install the fence, even help pay for it, etc, right up to the point where they opened their unpleasant mouths and started insulting my wife – a nice bonus on top of accusing us of damaging their fence. The panel (and many others in that boundary) is rotten, the posts are all rotten, it is being held together in part by a large creeper. They can stick all of that where it doesn’t fit, as far as I care at this stage.

johndoh

We used to have this a few years ago – the house opposite had a yappy dog which they would let out every morning at 7am and it would run up to the dividing fence and bark at our house until it was taken back inside (often 30 minutes +). One day they were out walking the dog and another bigger dog ran up, picked it up and shook it to death (it made the local newspapers). They got a new dog which didn’t yap incessantly.

Doesn’t help the OP but it is how our problem was solved.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.