Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Neighbour selling his house – apparently it's my fault
  • atlaz
    Free Member

About 2 years ago, the very nice elderly lady next door fell down her stairs and died. It took about a year but finally around this time last year the house was sold. The new owners never introduced themselves and even when we put notes through their door about an alarm going off for 2 days, never bothered to come and say hello or sorry. The only time I’ve met the owner (bloke in his 30s), he refused to speak to me and told me his dad would come and find me and neither of them was prepared to give me a contact number (they weren’t always present in the house).

About 4 months back they were given planning permission for fairly huge changes including one which could have caused problems for my house. When the party wall act paperwork dropped through my letter box I went to a local surveyor with the neighbour on the other side to ensure that everything was above board. The surveyor was quite clear that the plans were not sufficient to start work and started to work with the neighbour’s surveyor to get it sorted. I’ve personally never been rude, I’ve said hello to them on a couple of occasions but I wasn’t prepared to have the structural integrity of my house undermined by them without getting everything checked out.

Fast forward to yesterday, there’s a knock on the door and it’s the son of the family. He opens with “Just to let you know, I’m cancelling the proposed building work. You’ve made me feel so unwelcome in this street I’m going to sell. I hope you’re pleased with yourself” before turning around and walking off.

Now, for a bloke that never once spoke to me of his own accord and that never even tried to discuss the plans, I think this is a bit rich but in a Saturday early morning bout of introspection I wonder whether I should have done more to talk to them about their plans? My personal feeling is that it’s their house so they should have come to us but I was interested in the STW massive’s opinion.

Raindog
    Free Member

**** them. End of thread.

Cougar

Sounds like a nobber to me.

althepal

Seems a bit harsh, ESP at this time of the day.. Sounds like a dick, maybe you’re better off with them selling up anyway?

dokta
    Free Member

They sound like drama queens. Spit on them I say.

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 raindog

flip
    Free Member

**** them. End of thread.

+1

yunki
    Free Member

throw a big street party to celebrate him leaving.. make sure he doesn’t get an invite..

mactheknife

Mate some people just have no manners or social awareness.

From your side of the story you did all you could. Just remember there are an extraordinary amount of oddballs out there 😀

And if they want to move, have a party 😀

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

+2 Raindog; first thing we did when we started planning our extension was talk to the neighbours.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Glad you’re not my neighbour!!

only joking. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

yunki’s suggestion the best so far. 😆

Can I add that you should tap into his electricity for the band? And hack his wifi so everyone there can post on Facebook and twitter about what a knob he’s been.

petrieboy

Turn up the death metal whenever they have viewings, when they complain, tell them you were very upset by their comments and you will only desist when the whole family perform a truffle shuffle for the amusement of the rest ofthe street.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Sounds like best outcome for you, and doubt he’ll be happy wherever he goes by the sound of it. Ther are some funny people out there.

project
    Free Member

He may be shy,or youre not his type of person.

grantway
    Free Member

LOL like the above xxxxem
    You seem to be by your wording a fair and descent enough chap
    and considering its been all there none coming forward and not
    introducing themselves.

Think there looking for a reaction and i would not even say anything to them

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As above, sounds like an idiot. On the face of it, sounds like you’ve not been unreasonable at all, but then there’s always two sides to a story.
    Perhaps he got knocked back in planning app or something and he’s looking for someone to blame. Don’t stand down tho, if he starts playing silly buggers, he may be just trying to put you on a guilt trip or something, pending a further application.

atlaz
    Free Member

Sadly too shy to introduce himself but perversely not shy enough to stop him coming around and being an arse. Ah well, who gives a shit, maybe next time they’ll try a bit harder.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is there any particular reason why you weren’t more welcoming towards them ?

atlaz
    Free Member

Not sure I could have been really. I tried to introduce myself a few times and as I said, the first time I managed to speak to the bloke he basically told me his dad would be in touch and closed the door on me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is there any particular reason why you weren’t more welcoming towards them ?

This reminds me of another thread…

flap_jack
    Free Member

Do all you can to expedite the sale and hope for better neighbours next time

khani
    Free Member

**** him, his dad,mum,dog… Smash his back doors in, scorched earth policy, then salt the earth afterwards…. 😈
    God I want a cig…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

They’re just looking for some excuse, you’re it I’m afraid.

They’ll get over it..

Don’t take it personnaly.

warton
    Free Member

he’s a dick, don’t lose a moments sleep over it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not sure I could have been really. I tried to introduce myself a few times and as I said, the first time I managed to speak to the bloke he basically told me his dad would be in touch and closed the door on me.

I was just joking mate ! 😉

Don’t worry about it, which you clearly are, and which suggests that you are not an insensitive neighbour.

chakaping
    Free Member

Easy win, count yourself lucky!

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I wonder what caused the initial rift?
    Did you ever go round the back of his house and try to let yourself in?

MrNutt
    Free Member

write “Haunted” on the front lawn with salt. Then buy the house for a pittance after three months!

TheFlyingOx

Why not go round, state your case and ask exactly what their problem is? Make it clear you’re not wanting to build bridges, mind. You just want to know how you could make the new owners more welcome.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

This is ‘the big society’ that posh nob keeps telling us about 😆

samuri
    Free Member

Sounds like they were nobs, wave ’em bye bye, hope you get someone better next time.

Our very long term (about 5 years) issues with noise from next door seems to have been sorted after our last doorstep argument. She’s kept the music down to a reasonable level, has been affable enough when I’ve seen her in the street and has even been round a couple of times to collect her avon stuff. It’s quite hard seeing the TV past her huge boobs when she stands in our living room but that’s a hit I’m prepared to take.

chakaping
    Free Member

Naughty Steve Austin.

mandog

he sounds like a pen15 but in reality he’s probably just a very bad communicator.

DickBarton

Arrange a leaving party to celebrate them leaving…for the night before they leave, at least then they will see that some good has come of them as everyone celebrates them leaving!

Failing that, chap his door and thank him for improving your day – it can’t be everyday something that you have done has had such an impact on people…so thank them for allowing you to feel that sense of power!

sugdenr
    Free Member

Funny. People who shoot themselves in their own feet and then blame everyone else. Who care what they think.

zokes
    Free Member

Smash his back doors in,

Careful, TJ will be offended…

johnners
    Free Member

the first time I managed to speak to the bloke he basically told me his dad would be in touch

I don’t know why you’re trying to make that out as a bit weird, it’s what I always say when people speak to me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Are you his neighbour johnners ?

What was it about atlaz that bothered you most ?

johnners
    Free Member

Are you his neighbour johnners ?

My dad will be in touch.

What was it about atlaz that bothered you most ?

My dad will be in touch.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour selling his house – apparently it's my fault’ is closed to new replies.