Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Neighbour has put up a no parking disabled access required sign….
  • Speshpaul

Oh get her, double points.

grahamt1980

Simmy. Just call the police next time someone blocks youin. Afak it is illegal to deny someone access to the public highway someone access to the public highway. Which always took blocking your car on the drive to mean

stupegg
    Free Member

In Chisiwck (London) on Bollo lane there are parking spaces half on half off the kerb: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4969263,-0.2712501,3a,75y,239.72h,53.31t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1si6hGgG4x0hkUJfgIsdGBOA!2e0

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stupegg
    Free Member

In the week I live on an entirely terraced road in London and parking is a nightmare. Luckily I cycle to work and leave later than most people, so after a night ride when I’ve had to park on another street, I move it back in the morning when everyones gone to work. 8)

I thought it was bad, however reading this thread I’m considering myself lucky that no one’s resorted to putting up signs, leaving out cones or claiming the public highway as their own!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Simmy. Just call the police next time someone blocks youin. Afak it is illegal to deny someone access to the public highway someone access to the public highway. Which always took blocking your car on the drive to mean”

assuming he has a real drive with a drop kerb…..

IIRc its not illigal to park if theres no drop kerb – car in or not. – and its also not “illigal” to park across a drop kerb drive way with no car in.- but because its inconsiderate behavior – it falls under the obstruction charge yet again.

failing that – trolly jack under the rear axle and push it back.

nickjb
    Free Member

When did they legalise parking on the pavement?

It is illegal. Punishment ranges from dragging shopping along the door panels to knocking off the wing mirror. It is one of those arcane laws where the punishment can legally be metered out by any member of the public.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“It is illegal. Punishment ranges from dragging shopping along the door panels to knocking off the wing mirror. It is one of those arcane laws where the punishment can legally be metered out by any member of the public.”

thats a bit harsh on my neighbour….. shes the only one on the street whos still council so has not had a driveway conversion – but if she parks her (mobility no less) car on the road not on the pavement* (which has no yellows) no one else can get up the road to beyond her car…..

your rule sounds more like it would apply to inconsiderate parking -regardless of where , like those folk that insist on taking up 2 spaces so no one parks near their car…..

*said pavement only connects 8 houses in the middle of no where and leads to no where ….. but its still officially a pavement maintained by the council

Cougar

its also not “illigal” to park across a drop kerb drive way with no car in

I don’t that’s the case, you know.

AKAIK, it’s against the law to block a dropped kerb regardless of whether it’s in use or not. And if there isn’t a dropped kerb then the driveway isn’t legal as you’re effectively driving on the pavement to get to it. I think, anyway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah looks like your right – england and wales have different rulez.

TMA 2004 is your bible for this and it is illigal in its whole with you guys.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s only illegal if there is a car in the drive.

Edit – In Scotland.

trail_rat
    Free Member

your in scotland too nobeer – again like most things we are given rein to use our heads in these matters

ChrisHeath

it’s against the law to block a dropped kerb regardless of whether it’s in use or not

Out of interest, which particular law? A friend has had problems with cars parking across the dropped kerb in front of her house (with or without her car being there), and both the council and the police have said there’s not much she can do.

hora
    Free Member

its also not “illegal” to park across a drop kerb drive way with no car in

No idea but on Manchester match day – Trafford council used to come and tow away any car that did this (car in or not) if you were the householder who called. Surprisingly it was frequent, people would turn up late, dump their car in our area then run down to the stadium some distance away just to save a fiver parking when they could drive down- get in quicker and not inconvenience people.

Now we have permit resident parking- with men on scooters enforcing the rules rigidly 😀

Cougar

Dropped Kerb Parking Laws

Who can issue a penalty charge notice for parking alongside a dropped kerb

Council enforcement
    Under the Traffic Management Act 2004, grant councils that are Special Enforcement Areas (SPA) the power to enforce contravention code 27: Parked adjacent to a dropped footway.

Police
    Although the police generally now have less of a role for dealing with parking issues, Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) are often issued to motorists that leave their vehicle in a hazardous position, or a location that may impede wheelchair users. Alternatively, the police may find the owner of the vehicle and ask them to remove it, or possibly remove the vehicle themselves.

ChrisHeath

Ah right. That ties in with what I found at the time – Councils can only issue a penalty notice if it happens in a Special Enforcement Area, and the police say ‘it’s nowt to do with us. That’s the council’s job’.

Cougar

Well, the Highway Code says DO NOT which would suggest a legal requirement, but fails to provide the usual law reference after the rule.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Going back a few posts, there are few things that happen to me on the road that make me as sad as parallel parking beautifully then coming back an hour or two later to find the enormous car behind me has gone to be replaced by a tiny one that makes it look like I have parked like a twunt.

P-Jay
    Free Member

On of my pet peeves is when people decide they own the bit of highway outside their house.

I got into a blazing row with one of the residents opposite our office last summer – I’d parked, carefully and close to the kerb, making sure not to block anyone’s drive (despite their various modifications to their drives to make the entrances wider without actually widening their drives, only to be confronted by some fat old **** from 3 doors up squaring up to me about this ‘private road’ which is anything but – ‘private’ as in they’d rather no one else use it, public is in when there’s something wrong with it they’d like the local council to fix it.

Now they’ve managed to have their street declared “for access only” which is some vague declaration – it was designed to stop quiet residential roads becoming busy commuter roads, I suppose they’re “special” and the people who live in the parallel road aren’t but that’s an aside no one of authority will go on record to say whether you can park there or not, and anyway this road is a complete dead-end doesn’t lead anywhere – but it seems if you moan enough you can enjoy all the benefits of having your house on a public highway and all the benefits of having a private road. Arsehole, I hope enjoys all the junk mail.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

We had very similar issue here in East Ham, our neighbours had a bay painted on the road outside their house & would hassle anybody that parked in it also leaving the obligatory note on windscreens. I knew they weren’t disabled just ‘carrying a lot of extra timber’. On further examination I found out that unless the bay has an official blue sign on a lamppost indicating times & who can park there then it’s not official and there’s nothing they can do. I then confronted our neighbour with this info at which point they scuttled away in shame and I reported it to the council who then burned the bay from the Tarmac.

doris5000

we had fun with the parking round ours. it’s a narrow road so everyone sticks 2 wheels on the pavement.

then the council made it a residents parking zone (what a crock) and painted bays starting from the kerb. so people are parking fully on the road, according to the bays, and now vans and bin lorries can hardly get down the middle of the road.

on one street, they’ve painted a loading bay so wide that if it was filled, you’d struggle to get a motorbike through the gap 😆

(almost forgot to mention the fat woman who puts cones in front of her house and has a sticker in the back window saying “don’t like my driving? Dial 1-800-F*CKU )

aracer
    Free Member

So you claim.

molgrips
    Free Member

Now they’ve managed to have their street declared “for access only”

Lol.. if it’s a dead end then it’s “for access only” by definition! Classic fobbing off there 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah but suggestions of legality are only as much good as me making suggestions im rich…. When infact i really aint….

richmtb

On of my pet peeves is when people decide they own the bit of highway outside their house.

There several around my office that do the same.

I’ve moved cones once and got into an argument (an easy argument as it happens when challenged these people generally know they are in the wrong). But to be honest I normally just park somewhere else, people sticking cones on the road probably aren’t above a bit of petty vandalism

I might re-purpose some of the cones though

bigyinn
    Free Member

Somebody in my old street tried the old cones trick. I reversed into an adjacent space, opened the boot and took the cones for a drive to the nearest building site.
    Job jobbed.

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour has put up a no parking disabled access required sign….’ is closed to new replies.