Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Neighbour has put up a no parking disabled access required sign….
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I live on a terrace street, and over the past couple of years parking has become increasingly difficult, what with most houses now having multiple cars, and no off street parking.
    This morning, I have noticed that a neighbour has put up a “no parking, disabled access required 24hrs” sign on the waist height wall outside the front of their property.
    They have also put a note, that I can’t read due to ink running as the paper is wet, on my car, that I presume says something along the lines of, don’t park here…
    Its fairly new but the car hasn’t moved all week, as I cycle to work.

It’s clearly not an official council sanctioned disabled bay, and I have every right to park my car legally on the street.

to make matters worse, they are about the only ones that have a dropped curb and a gate giving off street parking and access to the rear of their property, that is not obstructed, or blocked by parking.

What would STW do?

stevied
    Free Member

Phone the council or highways agency. They should be able to tell you if it’s legit. If not they should contact the sign putter-upper to get it removed. Sounds like they just want to be able to park outside their house..

Houns

Leave it and go make a brew

northernmatt

You don’t mention if they are actually disabled or not. If they are then fair play to them but they can apply to the council to have a bay painted outside their house. If they aren’t then carry on as normal.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Is this your mini?

simon_g

Councils can and do create disabled bays limited to a single numbered permit if needed. That “need” usually means not having anywhere else closer to park a car.

DIY sign and a note? Carry on. I’d probably print off the local council details of how to apply for a disabled bay and stick that through their door.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

this google image shows the situation…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q6JxCE]Untitled[/url] by ericpandrew, on Flickr

in this case, the blue skoda (not mine) is where my car was parked.
    the white KA, is parked on their drive, and the house is the one on the rhs of both those cars

neilwheel
    Free Member

So they have a drive and want to reserve the space on the road too?

IA

It’s clearly not an official council sanctioned disabled bay, and I have every right to park my car legally on the street.

Thing is, depending on the council even if there is a disabled bay you can maybe park in it.

E.g. here in Bristol I have a bay outside my house from the previous occupants, I’ve asked the council to remove it but they haven’t/won’t. But they (and a parking warden) have told me they’re not enforceable and I’ll not get a ticket for parking in it.

The neighbours know this too, and know I’m not disabled, so we all just act like it’s not there.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

It would appear that way…

the property itself is used as some form of supported living, so there is some merit in the argument about needing disabled access, that I think is debunked by the ramp, and drive that they have…

neilwheel
    Free Member

Have they put the sign up to try and keep the drive clear, are you parked a little bit too tight to the access?

IA

How about ringing their doorbell and asking what the note said as you couldn’t read it? And then park on the road anyway, unless you think their reason is excellent*. As you say, they have a drive.

*eg as above you parked too close.

bentudder

that looks like a road ’round the corner from where I used to live. Is there a big park at the back of that house, with a stream in between? If so: we were one street up, closer to the High Street, and parking was always a sod. We moved a couple of streets over (on the other side of that park) to get a bigger more Udderlet-friendly house, and they put a parking control in there to stop people from dumping their cars and flying off on holiday for a fortnight (literally).

martinhutch

If you don’t move the car much anyway, stick it somewhere different and let some other bugger take the flak.

Drive doesn’t look big enough to take a decent sized car because of the gate positioning.

avdave2

so we all just act like it’s not there.

I find this an excellent approach to any problem or dilemma that life throws up. 🙂

IA

I find this an excellent approach to any problem or dilemma that life throws up.

It works 90% of the time. And the other 10%?

just act like it’s not there.

hora
    Free Member

Park where you want. If theres no road box markings it aint legit. I wager the person thinks he owns the road space outside the front of his house.

Around the corner from my house- if you park outside the persons house your car is keyed. The owner is an OAP, doesn’t own a car but will key any car parked there. I left mine there for 5mins- came out and it was keyed.

RustySpanner

fitnessischeating – Member
    the property itself is used as some form of supported living.

If they’ve got support workers, they’ll need somewhere to park too.

Apart from that, can’t really see why they have to park outside the door, unless they have an issue that means they can’t access the house from the drive.

I’d just ask.

And if they do park on the drive, someone else is always back from work before you.

binners
    hora
    Free Member

If they’ve got support workers, they’ll need somewhere to park too.

I (and all of my neighbours) have direct experience of these people. You park on one side. They’ll parallel park alongside you leaving 1.2metre for any car or van to get through. Its never the same people so they don’t learn. They just dump their car (usually a knackered looking late plate car) and go in. They don’t seem to like walking much. They’d park on the roof of the house if they could, or drive through the bay window.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I was definitely not not blocking access to their drive/gateway.
    none of the residents have cars, it will only be the support workers trying to take advantage and “claim” a free space.

I think I will just continue to ignore it, parking where I can on the street, and politely discuss with them if challenged in person.

bent udder, doesent sound like the same place

aracer
    Free Member

Drip feeding? 🙄

In which case, given the support workers can park on the drive, it’s not something they require at all so just ignore it.

RustySpanner

I’ll assume you’re both trolling and leave you to it.

DezB
    Free Member

Good job they haven’t got an estate car – the back end would be blocking the path. Looks a bit like the roads in Portsmouth – never designed for families with cars. Whole lot should be razed and rebuilt! 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Someone near me has put up a sign saying ‘police notice – please don’t park here’ guess they’re old.

As a student in a house with 3 cars we struggled for space but next door neighbour asked us not to park in front of his house as once Patrick Moore had come over to visit unannounced but didn’t stop as thought they had visitors due to the car outside. Whenever anyone did we got a letter through the post reminding is not to.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you’re not parked alongside the dropped kerb and there is no marked disabled space on the road they can do one.
    There’s plenty of room for them to reverse out of their drive so, unless its a council approved & fitted notice it can be safely ignored.

Looks similar to our street. There’s an old git who has a garage and lean-to to accommodate two cars, but when his daughter comes to stay he parks his car in the road to effectively reserve a space for her. Its always the same, those who have allocated parking always want more than their fair share. The last two streets i’ve lived in have been the same.

Cougar

Spot the difference in these two statements, with regard to how they affect you:

“Neighbour has put a sign outside his house.”

“Neighbour has put a pot plant outside his house.”

Anyone? Bueller? That’s right, the correct answer is “none whatsoever.”

Where I live, parking is the same bunfight that anyone who has ever lived in a terrace will be familiar with. Two council (presumably) marked disabled bays sprang up a few years ago, one a sensible size and the other huge. At the risk of sounding like a Daily Mail reader and with the caveat that I understand that disabled people don’t always appear disabled, I’ve never seen anyone appearing to have mobility issues anywhere near them. The smaller bay is always empty (or at least, I’ve never seen it used) and the big daft one usually contains one of two vehicles popular with disabled drivers, the M-Sport 3 Series.

binners

Have you not been listening to Ian Duncan Smith? There are no disabled people. They don’t exist. They’re all shirkers and bloody skivers who want to live out their days sponging off the rest of us. Faking it! The lot of ’em!!! The bastards!!

ninfan
    Free Member

You should purloin a traffic cone and leave it outside his house on Xmas eve with a bow and wrapping paper on it.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Several people in our street put cones out, outside their houses when they are out. I sometimes put them back in their garden, in case anyone steals them. I’ve never seen the aftermath but it keeps me happy.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fun fact , creating a diabled bay costs around 3k ??

D0NK

Is this your mini?

what about this one?

Several people in our street put cones out, outside their houses when they are out.

There seemed to be some police cones permanently outside a house on my commute, being a helpful kinda guy I was always tempted to return them to the nearby cop shop. (I take a different route now, but I’m tempted to see if they are still there)

Yes parking near your house can be troublesome but anyone starting with homemade signs and obstructions can do one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Several people in our street put cones out, outside their houses when they are out”

when i lived in the city i had neighbours like this….blackbumpers are your friend- cones slide if you bump into them nice and slow.

fishboxes (the plastic ones) were another popular item for marking spaces.

gonzy
    Free Member

OP you want to learn how to park in small spaces like this guy…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRXW7Ne1_88[/video]

then your problems will go away… 😆

TPTcruiser

Would the residents need to be dropped off in a minibus/taxi close to their home? With mobility problems it could mean a vehicle blocking the road while they make their way to the house. A clear spot makes everything run easier.
    Support/care workers are probably better paid doing their job rather than spending their time looking for a parking spot and finding one two streets away. Though some may look like the walk would do them good.

PS May I be the first to blame Thatcher and her dogma of “everyone should have a car and I am going to make sure of that by screwing up public transport.”

torsoinalake
    Free Member

OP you want to learn how to park in small spaces like this guy

But how do you get it out of the space?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Strike back, strike hard.

What about a sign outside your house saying

‘MY PARKING – NO DISABLEDS’

(live on a terrace with parking obsessed neighbours myself, I’m usually the first to leave for work and the last home so rarely get near the house but you’ve just got to ignore it the only answer is to park somewhere else if you can within reason but if not it’s just tough titties for them)

project
    Free Member

Peeps are so possesive of their parking space,obtain a scrap car and dump in space outside their house, with tyres let down of course to stop it rolling away.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Peeps are so possesive of their parking space,obtain a scrap car and dump in space outside their house, with tyres let down of course to stop it rolling away.

I’ve always wanted to do that.

Except instead of letting the tyres down I’d slash them and fill them with concrete. Then pour a load in through the sunroof. Lets see them get that on a loader…

Flaperon

My neighbour lectured me about good neighbourly relations and showing consideration for other people when I parked outside his house. Apparently his wife found reversing onto their drive inconvenient. Further lectures about blocking the road, obstructing a tight turn and veiled threats along the lines of “does your insurance company know you park on the road?” followed.

He got so wound up by it that he’s bought, taxed, and insured an old banger and dumped it on the pavement outside his own house. Which I consider a result.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour has put up a no parking disabled access required sign….’ is closed to new replies.