Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 311 total)
  • Neighbor again..ffs
  • senorj

Fwiw,I think it’s a bit cheeky cutting “her” corner. It looks bad.
    Either ,angle grinder the black post, clip the hedge& turn right or artificial grass the verge.

franksinatra

You can’t just artificial grass over someone’s verve

mattyfez

Op is just lazy and self important, there is lots of room to get that van in it might require a 3 point turn rather than just swinging it in over the grass.

nairnster
    Free Member

I dont buy those measurements either. The first pic you posted suggests there is more room than that as the van is parked parallel to other cars parked on the same side of the road as rhe red one in the picture.

I think you can do a a 3 or even a 5 point turn reversing back to the left and avoid her grass.

You are causing the arguments. If you had to move your shed, it mustnt have complied but apparently the neighbour was unreasonable. You are cutting up the grass, but again she is apparently the problem by complaining about it.

Yet you come on here and whinge about her. You appear butt hurt that the thread has not gone the way you thought it would and most think you are not doing enough to avoid the problem or the conflict it is causing.

Either speak to her and explain its unavoidable (apparently) or perhaps try some of the suggestions.

Personally i think you couldnt give a shit about your neighbours and so are making no effort.

cinnamon_girl

I’m with the OP. Your boundary, and your neighbour’s, ends at your hedge and her brick wall respectively. Grass belongs to the Council and is not your responsibility to maintain.

Easiest solution would be to remove your post and part of your hedge to enable easier access and less chance of damaging Council owned grass verge. As a tradesman you can not work without your tools which will undoubtedly be valuable. For the hard of thinking on here that means you want to make them as safe as possible and not an easy target for thieves. So, yes, reverse onto your driveway.

As regards your neighbour, well I wouldn’t lose any sleep over her poor attitude. Some folk are plain nasty.

Good post from CountZero, it would be a different matter if it was a ‘lifestyle’ vehicle. 🙄

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Some folk are plain nasty.

She’s an old dear whose probably very lonely & rather unhappy.

I’d cut her some slack & do my best to avoid antagonising her.

What does winding her up win you?…

mattyfez

Easiest solution would be the OP learning how to drive properly.

franksinatra

Grass belongs to the Council and is not your responsibility to maintain

But it is his responsibility to not ruin it. It doesn’t really matter who owns the grass, OP is not allowed to do that.

Sorry, I forgot, it’s the old ladies fault…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I have to say looking at that pic…

I reckon you swing to the left before turning right & avoid going over the grass really quite easily.

There’s a fair bit of room there if you take care..

nealglover
    Free Member

Seriously need to see a video of you pulling your van off the driveway. It does look (in both pictures) like there is loads of room to do it properly.

Why do you park so far to one side of the driveway by the way? Looks like you are making getting out more difficult tbh.

convert

From that 2nd picture I think I have worked out the problem.

Tymbian, this is you isn’t it?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sure, if it’s you doing it to your own grass.if it’s someone else doing it to my grass, I’m taking a strop

Strop on dude. I once had a petrol station forecourt on a busy main road with a quarry entrance next to the entrance to my place. I had tipper trucks going over MY grass!

growinglad
    Free Member

I assume growling lad is joshing.

Right? Right?

It’s just Grass maann!

Listen, the old nag has form…she’s a trouble maker and we should all just go about our business and not give two hoots about these naysayers.

franksinatra

Why dont you ask the old lady to help you reverse in? She could do that thing old ladies do where they stand on the pavement and spin their hands around to help their tired looking husbands park the Honda jazz

project
    Free Member

Get rid of post and 3′ of hedge, make drive 3′ wider, you’ll have plenty of room?

as previously stated, or get some of that plastic mesh stuff that you plant into the ground and grass grows through.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landscaping/d130/Ground+Control/sd3225/Ground+Guard/p94411

franksinatra

But it’s not his land to do that?

pocketrocket
    Free Member

i also own a van full of expensive tools so can fully understand the need for reversing up the drive.
    Those on here suggesting you park up the road really haven’t a clue. I wonder how many of them would be happy to park their car 100m up the road overnight, with their mountain bike left in the back?
    But, tbh I’m not convinced that you couldn’t get out of the drive without cutting up the grass.
    If this really is the case, then these are your answer, along with a packet of grass seed. After these went in I’d completely ignore her if she kicked off about anything else, some people just aren’t happy unless they’re moaning about something!
    https://www.sure-green.com/products/porous-pavers-grass-gravel/pp40-grass-gravel-porous-paver-black.php?product=264&utm_source=adrac&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CIfbuOed49ICFYYaGwodA0oJEQ.

Cougar

I’m with the OP. Your boundary, and your neighbour’s, ends at your hedge and her brick wall respectively. Grass belongs to the Council and is not your responsibility to maintain.

Does it though? Do they own the end of the OP’s driveway also?

wordnumb
    Free Member

If I’ve read right OP said he’s a council tennant, so they own all of it.

nealglover
    Free Member

To be fair, mine looks almost identicle, and my property stops at the drain line. There was grass right across with a pedestrian gate previously. So the council made good the grass as part of the driveway in with the cost of the drop kerb.

But as the OP is a council tennant, they did all the work at the same time, which is why it’s such a good match, and they own all of it.

(If they sold it, the property line would be the drain line)

cinnamon_girl

Fair point Cougar and would think, yes, the Council do. Not all houses were built with garages and driveways so clearly a later addition but don’t understand why it’s concrete. Perhaps the Council insisted?

Wonder how many of you chaps have driven large vans? I have had some experience and it’s not easy to manoeuvre on narrow roads with cars opposite.

mattyfez

Back in my younger years I’ve a lot of experience driving fork lifts, and vans up to 7.5 tonnes and various other small vehicles.

If the OP can’t park that van in that space, without churning up the verge he should seriously consider getting a smaller van.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Wonder how many of you chaps have driven large vans? I have had some experience and it’s not easy to manoeuvre on narrow roads with cars opposite.

Personally I’ve driven coaches & large agricultural machinery including artics.

I can’t speak for anyone else..

nairnster
    Free Member

Driven and still drive Fiat Ducatos, renault master.

cinnamon_girl

Once again you’re missing the point. When there are cars parked opposite his driveway in a narrow road then it would be hard to avoid. Do any of you people live where parking is at a premium?

nairnster
    Free Member

So why cant he do a multi point turn when leaving?

nealglover
    Free Member

Do any of you people live where parking is at a premium?

Yep. And I’ve driven commercials for years. But as I said, from the pics the OP has posted, there is plenty of room to get out of there.
    Maybe not in one sweep, but it’s not difficult, and that’s the price of driving a big vehicle.

mattyfez

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Once again you’re missing the point. When there are cars parked opposite his driveway in a narrow road then it would be hard to avoid. Do any of you people live where parking is at a premium?

The only photo we’ve seen is apparently the OP’s van blocking access to his own driveway.

The road is plenty wide enough assuming he doesn’t have 2 vans and he’s blocking himself in, lol!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve been away for this and TL:DR….can someone who is’nt Dtf summize?

simondbarnes

I think the OP needs to move house.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I haven’t any, I couldn’t do it either, hence I don’t own a large van.

Could you ask her to drive out for you? – then if she goes over the grass, she may be more understanding?

Or, rather than remove the metal post, cut down all of your hedge – you should manage to get in and out no bother then.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Maybe if you stopped clipping curbs like that your suspension wouldn’t need so much work on it. 😆

Nearside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

nealglover
    Free Member

Bloody hell but that is pretty damned rich coming from the STW crowd who are constantly posting up threads asking everyone to admire the sodding great van they’re considering buying to replace their family car, and now you hypocritical buggers are slagging off someone who has a van that’s exactly the same size and who actually needs it for work, instead of wanting one to pose around with.

Love the outrage at a totally imagined hypocrisy.

“You lot” often mention driving Vans so it MUST hypocritical if “you lot” criticise someone else who drives a van for parking/driving badly

So, who in particular has been hypocritical ?

You can’t criticise a few thousand people of being hypocritical as “you lot” unless they have all agreed on something.

franksinatra

Summary?

OP needs a grown up to help him park his van and advise him how to be a good neighbour.

wallop

This thread is mega lols 😆

franksinatra

Looking at that photo again I just can’t understand why the only trashed grass is outside her house? Why can’t you come from the other direction and clip the grass to the front of your hedge instead?

myti
    Free Member

Try this: drive out straight then a very gentle turn in and creep back till your back on your drive as close to your hedge/gate post as possible (I see why you park so close to her side so people can get to your front door) but if you come out from as close to your hedge as possible does that help? Also carpet down has to be a winner if there is still a little clipping.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Do any of you people live where parking is at a premium?

London – parking doesn’t get more premium..

Esme
    Free Member

Tymbian, it’s probably not a good idea to ask the council for permission to widen the drive/gate to accommodate a large commercial vehicle. There’s likely to be a clause in your tenancy agreement restricting what you’re allowed to park there. For example, caravans are often forbidden. Don’t do anything to jeopardise your livelihood.

However . . . if a normal car is parked on your drive, there isn’t really room for the postman and visitors to get past, is there? So you need to create a footpath running alongside the drive, up to your front door. That’s perfectly reasonable, isn’t it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Loving the van driving experts who can judge the situation from a few pics.

Classic OP hating from the self righteous with nothing better to do.

I thought the bad old days had gone…

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 311 total)

The topic ‘Neighbor again..ffs’ is closed to new replies.