• This topic has 76 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Need to lose some weight … anyone else?
  • secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I always seem to be wanting to lose a bit of weight, never a huge amount, but I never quite seem to do it. I know that "weight on the scales" is not the best benchmark, but I do realise that I have some extra wobble around my middle that really doesn't need to be there, so I have decided that I must lose 3kg – soon – and then review it.

I find the extra lard demotivates me regarding exercise, and then it's just a vicious circle. I've not managed much exercise over the summer due to work and also getting injured on a climbing holiday. All better now, apart from the lard. I also need to get out on my bike more!

Being female makes me worried that I'm beginning to fit into the permanent dieter (who never actually loses any weight) stereotype, but I suspect there are a few blokey types out there with the same issue.

Does anyone have any inspiring tales? (Please don't just tell me to eat less, exercise more … I know the theory). Any one want to join me? I'd like to shift the weight in the next month to six weeks, which should be realisetic. I don't have a huge amount of time (- not an excuse), but am going to try to hit the gym / pool at lunchtimes if possible. Motivation is more the problem at the moment. Alcohol and sweeties officially off the menu for the time-being!

72.7kg on the scales as of this morning 🙁
    Here goes …

jam-bo

in the last eight months I've lost 1st 2lbs.

I've not changed my diet at all but upped the level and intensity of exercise a fair bit. I now ride, run or swim pretty much every day, sometimes twice.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

That's good going! I think this is something I need to do – I used to have a good routine as there was a gym where I worked,but now I've lost that convenience. I need to get a routine!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If you need motivation how about entering a few events for a challenge and to motivate you to train. Have you done a triathlon before? Or the winter Helly Hansen adventure races (www.trailplus.com) something like that will help motivate.

jam-bo

thats another point. I realised unless I have a target to train for I'm shit at getting out training.

Did my first triathlon last month, another end of next month and got a few things in mind for next year.

robbo1234biking

Ive lost a stone and half in the last two months and want to lose 2 stone by my birthday and 3 by the end of the year then ill review it. Used to play rugby so am now carrying a load of bulk around that I no longer need and now use different muscles etc. Have had to change my diet for that loss though!

andyfla
    Free Member

lost 1st 3lbs (down to 12st 3) since bristol bikefest, simply picked up the wifes weightwatchers points book and started limiting myself to 30 points a day.

Simple if not easy

ianpinder
    Free Member

I've lost in total 4 stone so far this year, but have managed to put 1.5 back on since starting my new job, hope to loose another 3 by Christmas

tails
    Free Member

idave diet is what you need.

Tiger6791

At my worst I was 16st 10lbs for a 5"11 bloke that ain't great. Now 14st but have been for months and need to drop 2st.

I'd be up for another goal, I've got Windsor Half Marathon at end of Sept & then Marin Dusk til Dawn the week after.

If I could shift a few pounds by eating better that would be great.

Could set up an email check in buddy type system

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Not confident enough to try any biking events 🙁

I do agree that having a training goal helps though. OH and I were training for the OMM last year, but I had (proper) 'flu the week before and then OH started coming down with it too.

I think it's a bit late for this year now, but I might contact the organisers …

Solo
    Free Member

Get your dietary intake right first, before you start exercising for 25 hours a day.

Yes, we should all exercise, but if you're consuming 3000 cals a day, you're making a rod for your own back, imo.

I took part in the iDave weight loss thing we did on here a little while ago. It works, weight comes off without having to go mad in the gym, on the bike.

This then leaves you to enjoy your cycling doing as much of it as you want to keep heart and lungs in good order, rather than to trim the waistline, or whatever.

mail me if you're interested and I'll forward the iDave doc, guide.

🙂

nickname
    Free Member

4 months ago I started commuting to work by bike. 25 miles a day, usually 5 days a week.

In terms of weight loss, it's very effective.

I eat okish, and also eat a lot more than I did before I started. I'm not on any diet.

This is the only period in the last 5 years where I've actually lost weight (about 7lbs). It's no effort whatsoever, and it's an awesome 2hrs cycling a day extra 😈

DavidFelt
    Free Member

At Christmas I was roughly 12 stone, and felt heavy (I'm 5'8") and from around May, I started to calorie count and do a few extra miles and now I'm 10 stone 2 (trying to get to a toned 10 stone).

First stone fell off, but last part has been hard, but no crazy changes to my diet (just cut down on lager and take aways) and no crazy exercise regime.

Holiday (albeit only to Ireland) in 2 weeks, can hopefully hit my target weight before then and then try to tone up in the lead up to Christmas!

gingerflash

I've always been one of those who can eat anything and still stay quite slim. However, at 35, that ability seems to be fading and I'm getting more lard round my waist than I'd like and my weight has gradually crept from about 11.5st about 3 years ago to 12st 9lb at present.

I plan to increase my exercise by running most days and slightly increasing my riding. I don't think my diet needs much change, just need to avoid snacking so much.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Could set up an email check in buddy type system

I like that idea … I think others knowing/supporting can be a bit of a motivator. OH is one of those who never puts on weight, so finds it hard to understand my battles.

I'm (apparently) not heavy enough for Weight Watchers, although in January I was edging towards 77kg and they might have welcomed me then 😳 I lost a bit in the spring, but just haven't been able to keep it going. I have no desire to be skinny, but would like to shift the "unnecessary" excess and fit into my jeans a bit better … I've always refused to buy bigger sizes, but everything's a bit snug still.

Solo – YHM, thanks!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I've been injured this year and gained some weight so my racing season is over.

My VO2max came back at 70 but I need to shift 22kg between now and Jan!

Fat ba5tard in lycra!

There is no chocolate in my house…why are you still looking?!

Losing 1kg a week and not dieting but following a healthy normal athletic dietary intake to support my need for speed and tv.

Train 4 times a week min and fat metabolism takes ages to readjust compared to CHO and Protein.

Set yourself a realistic goal and go for it OP. You can do it girl!

ianpinder
    Free Member

Solo,

can you send me the idave doc please

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Some good stories, thanks!

Will post if Tiger 6791 sets up buddy system, as it sounds like I'm not the only one who might be interested!

Might go for a walk up Moel Famau later … feeling more motivated already (and hungry).

gingerflash

"I've been injured this year"

Ah yes, I'll use that one as well please.

willard

I was actually thinking the same thing myself… Had a checkup at the doc's last week and found myself on the scales hitting 95kg with jeans and a t-shirt on. As I'm 195cm tall, this puts my BMI (yes, I know…) at just under the "lard" category, but I can see and feel the onset of my belly and moobs, and I want rid.

Even cycling every day did not make much of a difference, not did training for a 10k last year (6.5 miles, three times a week), but it did shaft my knees for me. I had a target then, so was happy to do the running.

Now though, I know I can bash out 10k in under 50 minutes, even hungover and with a singe practice run. We've no gym at work, or even nearby, so hitting the gyms for weights and other cardio stuff is out, and I'm not even sure that I am up for even more pressups thanks to olecranon bursitis in my right elbow.

iDave, you come highly recommended. I may be calling.

Solo
    Free Member

People who want the iDave doc.

Mail me and I'll try to sort a reply as soon as I can.

😉

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Just read the guide … it looks like good, honest advice, and for the sake of three weeks, definitely worth a try. I agree that a certain amount of effort will need to be made, but like iDave says, getting fat is easy, losing it less so. Oh, and you can have red wine …

I'm also happy to send the guide to avoid having Solo inundated! (Email in profile).

Cheers guys 😆

john_drummer
    Free Member

5'8" and 10st seems borderline underweight to me. Unless you're made of pipecleaners 😉

I'm waaaay overweight and working on that, but my mojo "has been injured this year" 😉

gingerflash

Looks like a crazy fad diet to me.

Solo
    Free Member

Only a FAD if you don't stick with it.

Crazy ?, I'd say eating stuff that makes you heavy and unheathly is crazy

🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Don't forget the day off !.

I reckon its got to help with new comers.

Saturday is usually my day-off, but whenever you do take your day off, don't go mad and ruin your good work
    😉

Also, try to dig-out the monster thread from here, about this. There are some useable recipe suggestions, which I found helped with choosing what to eat.

Theres also some typical STW arguing going on too, but just ignore that.
    😉

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I suppose it depends what sort of food you like, but from what I can see it looks healthy and includes lots of things I like.

I'm allergic to cream-based food and hate most dairy apart from cheese, so shouldn't be too tough.

Can I still have a curry on Friday night?

iDave
    Free Member

you're supposed to go mad on your day off! stops your metabolism grinding to a halt

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Excellent! Just checking … I usually go "low oil" for my curry, but might shock them this week and ask for it straight 😆

Solo
    Free Member

iDave. yes, but if you remember, on that other thread, people were threatening to eat 6000 calories, or whatever, on their day off.

Day off is just that, no rules, but thats still only 3 squares a day for me, and a few pints.
    🙂

Got to allow time for cycling too, can't spend all day with my head burried in the fridge.

milfredo
    Free Member

tails – Member
    idave diet is what you need.

Amen to that!

14lbs lost in 5 weeks. Now adding some carbs before known big rides and the weight is still falling off.

nickc

Please don't just tell me to eat less, exercise more … I know the theory). Any one want to join me? I'd like to shift the weight in the next month to six weeks, which should be realistic. I don't have a huge amount of time (- not an excuse)

Shall inject some realism into this discussion then? So you know how to get rid of the weight, and you want to shed 3kg in a month? but you don't have time for exersize and you want to carry on eating curries?

And people wonder why they can't loose weight….

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Please could I get a copy of the iDave doc?

Email is in my profile. Thanks!

hora
    Free Member

Alcohol. If you drink most nights knocking off all but two nights (and keeping that just a couple) will drop loads in a few weeks.

Im going to do this- blood pressure up again and I reckon I'm 2stone over my natural weight.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

nickc: can I suggest you read the thread in full, especially my opening message in its entirety, and don't quote selected sections only …

BTW it's "lose" not "loose" 😉

mtb_rossi – YHM

I lost just over a stone in about 8 weeks earlier in the year. Didn't really take much to shift it. The main thing I did was start jogging every other evening for about 20 minutes and I cut out drinking fizzy drinks with meals and had water/Robinson's squash instead.

I'm now trying to lose about another quarter/half a stone by upping the running to 30-45 minutes every other evening and eating less carbs.

nickc

SS I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, really I'm not. But if you want to lose weight and keep it off there's only ONE method. Reduce your calorie intake and increase your calorie useage. Any one tells you any different is lying to you. Go into your diet with some realism. And having a curry each week ain't gonna help is it?

nickf
    Free Member

Have lost 5kg in the last 2 months through a bit more exercise and a lot less food. I still eat exactly what I want, just take one potato fewer etc.

A long way to go – another 15kg – but I'd rather do the slow and steady route than go for a mad no-food binge.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Point taken, nickc – I do understand the calories in / out side of things, and accept that this is the brutal part of it, but there's also the bit where you need to eat enough to function, not mess up your metabolism, get some enjoyment out of what you eat (as eating less isn't much fun), and do it manageably rather than evangelically. What niggles me is that I don't have loads to lose, but the final few pounds seemto be the worst by far (- in psychological not calorie terms).

I also appreciate that curry won't help in itself – I was happy to give that up, but iDave's plan suggests a day off. Maybe I'll stick with the "low oil" option 😉 Doesn't help that husband is a good cook too … I must moderate portion sizes.

It's good to hear the success stories though – works for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Need to lose some weight … anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.