• This topic has 66 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Need some advice on what to do with my grumpy dog!!
  • hora
    Free Member

Sorry if Bingo ever did that he would be rehomed the next morning.

Sounds harsh but I wouldn’t hesitate.

bullheart
    Free Member

I feel for you. Really. I’m not sure I’d have been able to, but then I haven’t got kids so can’t make the comparison.

It must have been shite, and you are a brave fella.

anagallis_arvensis

The dog is trying to defend its position in the ‘pack’ – it sees itself as dominant over the children and is asserting that dominance aggressively.

I’m not an expert but my view is you either need to get the dog to be convinced the kids are higher up the pecking order than it is or get rid of the dog

Indeed you are not an expert and dogs are not pack animals.

nickf
    Free Member

I don’t know all of the circumstances, but unless there’s something you’ve not mentioned about the dog’s health, that sounds awfully harsh. Wouldn’t the Dogs Trust have taken him?

To have an animal killed because they no longer fit in with your family just doesn’t sit well with me. Rehoming definitely, destruction as an absolute last resort.

To my mind you take on a dog for life and you have to do anything you can to protect its interests, accepting that your children come above your dog.

Edited to add: Sorry if this comes across as aggressive – it’s not meant to. And I’m sure the loss of your dog is truly awful. It’s simply that I can’t understand your decision.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

To have an animal killed because they no longer fit in with your family just doesn’t sit well with me.

+1

I wouldn’t argue with you taking the dog for rehoming because you were concerned about your children, but having a 9 year old dog killed off, when you’ve already been told that people are queuing up for rescue Beardie – I’m afraid I don’t understand that decision at all. 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m struggling to understand such a snap decision. The Dogs Trust is an excellent charity and would have taken him off your hands and rehomed him.

Too late now I guess but no “you’re a brave fella” from me. 🙁

MrNutt
    Free Member

bloody bleeding hearted lefties, Read the thread, the poor thing had had Cancer once prior, Anyone with experience of cancer will tell you it has a nasty habit of returning, The lab that tore my cousins face apart had a brain tumor, that was a very sudden, unprovoked and unexpected attack from a dog that had never behaved like that in the past.

The decision to let his poor mutt go was clearly based on a Veterinarian’s professional diagnosis.

I don’t expect Renton took this decision lightly by any stretch of the imagination, I suggest you save your liberal witherings for an alternative topic, one that is not so raw in this poor guys life, he’s just lost one of his best friends FFS!

GW
    Free Member

nobody needs to understand his reasons. let him grieve in peace FFS!.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

6 hours doesn’t sound like a long time to make the decision.

Someone’s trolling. I’m not sure who though.

hora
    Free Member

With hindsight the op could have addressed the pets situation sooner before it escalated however unless you are in the position…

As I said any sign from our bingo and he’s rehomed. As dogs get older they can become stressed around young children. Sadly the situation developed without immediate action.

Sad alround 🙁

bullheart
    Free Member

I don’t know all of the circumstances

That’s right, you don’t. Neither do I.

To have an animal killed because they no longer fit in with your family just doesn’t sit well with me. Rehoming definitely, destruction as an absolute last resort.

The Dogs Trust is an excellent charity and would have taken him off your hands and rehomed him.

I totally agree. 100%. But regardless of what you or I think, the man made a decision that must’ve been very difficult, for reasons that we don’t know. Give him a break.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m struggling to understand such a snap decision.

Well I’m not. If it was such a quick decision, despite it being ‘one of the hardest decisions he’s ever had to make’ then that’s because he knew what he should do. I have no doubt therefore that it was the right decision. There is nothing more to discuss.

MrNutt – “the poor thing had had Cancer, blah, blah,” You know nothing about the deciding factors, so I can’t see how you speculating in anyway helps. Just accept that no one was better placed than him to decide, and whatever his reasons, they were the right ones.

Renton, good luck mate – I’m sure you did the right thing.

hora
    Free Member

“Give him a break”

AMEN. From a Dog owner (although a ropey-ass of a dog)

renton
    Free Member

thanks for the kind replies.

to be fair im pretty cut up about it at the moment , feels like ive lost my right arm.

we took the decision to have him put down as we didnt want him to go to another family, he was our dog for 9 years and we knew he wouldnt settle with anyone else.

rash decision to have him put down…… yes it was but i couldnt stand by and keep saying “next time he does it…” this time he was half a centimetre away from possible blinding my son in one eye, how do i explain that in years to come???

he was getting grumpier and grumpier towards the kids and i just couldnt carry on knowing that one day he might do somthing a lot worse.

the vet didnt offer any sort of reason as to why he was becoming the way he was, in fact she said you really dont have a choice.

I hadnt seen the posts about people queing up to rehome beardies until after it had hppended.

oh and deadlydarcy………. its been more than six hours since the first time he snapped at one of my children.

No trolls here im afraid. thanks for your input though

cheers

steve

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fair enough Renton.

He was your dog and I’m sure you had your reasons. I still think you could have explored other options but I guess we’ll agree to disagree on that point.

You did ask for advice only today – that’s where I was getting my timeline.

Spongebob
    Free Member

To me, putting the dog down without giving the situation due diligence is pretty shocking!

Dog ownership is a big responsibility and this action seems like a cop out to me!

I would always put humans way above animals in terms of value of life etc, but if a dog behaved like this, i would have first got a muzzle, then seen a vet.

I guess it’s not crystal clear what has hapened here because the OP omitted vital detail at the outset. This is just a web forum and I can’t believe anyone would take too notice of what is written here. For all we know the OP could have been trolling!

If it’s not a wind up, the OP should not consider owning another dog!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

this action seems like a cop out to me!

Yeah that’s because you’re a ****.

hora
    Free Member

Bingo may be on deathrow 🙁

Bin raided last night ans the chicken carcas that was in there is gone. Completely gone 🙁

He’s panting abit and softly whining 🙁

wwaswas

broken chicken bones = not good – I’d get to the vets sharpish 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Should be ok me thinks. Its the Carcas and firstly it was oven-cooked then the day after say stewing.

dan1980
    Free Member

Chicken bones become very brittle after cooking and splinter easily. Your dog stands a real risk of having a damaged esophagus, stomach or bowel, You need to take your dog to the vet ASAP to get him checked out and get proper advice.

hora
    Free Member

and do what? Slice him open from head to toe on the operating table?

I’ve also googled advice. It says monitor him (Vet echoed this).

dan1980
    Free Member

we took the decision to have him put down as we didnt want him to go to another family, he was our dog for 9 years and we knew he wouldnt settle with anyone else.

Words fail me 🙁

dan1980
    Free Member

There’s a difference between “me thinks” and having gotten a vets opinion.

big_scot_nanny

Hora – ****, get thee to the V. E. T.

Renton – just bloody horrible all round. Upsides to this: you now know that your kids are safe and the mutt is no longer miserable. Still, having had to do it once before (5 years ago when the monster truck lab/rottie cross that was Bruno had to be put to sleep through illness. Still have his, massive, collar), it is a bugger of a thing to do as those goddam mutts are such amazing, loyal, loving companions. Can’t imagine not being involved with dogs or having my kids grow up with them.

Humph. sad.

FWIW, I completely understand and support your decision.

Kev

PS – this may not be the time for humour, but when I went with Bruno to get put down, the vet was really good, talked it through etc, then turned around to get the anesthetic. When he came back it was with the biggest comedy syringe filled with luminous green goo I have ever seen. He then preceded to do something wrong which resulted in syringe exploding contents all over the surgery, and us, rather than in the dog. Bruno of course thought this was great fun, and was wagging his tail and looking excitedly at what was going on. Bloody hell! 😥

hora
    Free Member

Err reading standards have dropped 😆

hora
    Free Member

He’s done 4 bone-hard poos alone this afternoon along with plenty of milk etc 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Need some advice on what to do with my grumpy dog!!’ is closed to new replies.