Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • need new cassette, questions needing answers…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

chain snapped due to mate not knowing i have rapid rise and inadvertently snapped the chain. new chain doesn’t fit so well on old cassette so need to buy new….

ok so found a sram PG980 and a XT CS 770.
    XT with 12/32, Sram with 11/32.

which is considered the hardiest of the two, Sram or Shimano?

will two teeth fewer on the big cog noticeably affect my climbing ability? or just MTFU?

cheers

J

radoggair
    Free Member

Shimano are generally regarded as stronger, sram seems to bend under load, but i’m sure hundreds will say theve been fine with theirs. Your only missing 1 tooth and your climbing abilities wont be affected, more outright speed, but as long as your running a 44/46 at the front then the difference between an 11t and a 12t wont make much of a difference, well notable anyway

alpin
    Free Member

say, i meant from 34 to 32 tooth cog.

running 22/36 up front.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    radoggair
    Free Member

well with a 22 then your running low enough anyway. No difference really and at 22/34 you’d be quicker walking anyway

spooky_b329

How did it snap? Did he shift into big/big and the chain wasn’t long enough?

Also, why not just repair the old chain with a powerlink? If the cassette is too worn to take a new chain, the chainrings are probably the same, so just run it into the ground until it starts chainsucking!

nickjb
    Free Member

What spooky said. Just fix the chain if it was working before

mudshark
    Free Member

Some people run a 26/36 up front and find a 34t cassette sprocket helpful others use a 34t cassette on heavier full-susses with a 22 chainring. Not that I’d think any less of you if you went for a 34t on your set-up…!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘need new cassette, questions needing answers…..’ is closed to new replies.