Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Need hive mind – Volvo v70 conundrum
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Weird as it failed the mot 29th may with”exhaust system insecure near side rear”

went in for repair/welding and passed on 1st June

RustyNissanPrairie

^exactly why I repair/service my own cars.

iamanobody
    Free Member

It’s at the garage now ….. will post results

iamanobody
    Free Member

Back from the mechanic:

Fault codes read:

No comms form ABS sensor – needs new ABS control unit

Steering angle sensor buggered

Top engine mount broken off

Both lower arms on front worn and need replacing

Track rod ends need doing

Exhaust hanger needs welding

WWSTW do?

iamanobody
    Free Member

Bump

garage-dweller

Did he give you a price?

And if you got billed for welding up the exhaust I’d be having a word with the mot place!

iamanobody
    Free Member

400 Ish for the mechanical stuff and up to 400 for the electrics with NO guarantee 😢

RustyNissanPrairie

ABS – don’t know

Steering angle sensor – I think this a fairly pricey part

Top engine mount – Lemforder OEM from eurocarparts (I’ve done mine IIRC £50)

Lower wishbones – genuine Volvo only (don’t skimp on these) £100 per side plus non reusable bolts from Volvo.

Track rod ends – Lemforder (Volvo OEM) from Eurocarparts ~£30 each

Exhaust probably needs the hanger replacing as mentioned previously (unless it tore a hole like mine did)

The mechanical items listed are consumables – the electrical stuff isn’t but also isn’t unheard of for these P2 Volvos.

Personally I’d stick with it if you haven’t had any fuelling/injector issues and the car is rust free underneath – especially around the inside of the front suspension turrets

singletrackmind

http://www.breakeryard.co.uk

these big luxo barges  are so common you should b able to get the ABS and SAS from there .

The glitch is are  they  coded  items ?

If  they are then you may be into main stealer prices so add £600 to the parts bill

It may be time to ebay it . . . sorry

Inbred456
    Free Member

There is a place listed by Honest John that can refurb the electronic part of your ABS unit especially Bosch units.  Much cheaper than replacement. The mechanics of the unit are probably fine.

http://www.ecutesting.com/

About £150 to rebuild it with new brake pressure sensor.

markrh
    Free Member

I’m really attached to my V70 but if I was looking at that bill I think i’d be looking to replace it. With another V70 of course…

fizik
    Free Member

I had a 2002 V70 d5, had spent alot on it, usual bushes , new clutch and then the airbag light came on, which I knew would be an MOT fail. Volvo were quoting big prices to fix and when the fuel pump started playing up I decided to sell for spares or repairs on eBay. My phone was ringing off the hook and it sold very quick for far higher than scrap prices… which shows that is was worth fixing for alot of people.  Looking on the gov.uk mot history check it seems that it is still going strong somewhere. I really regret selling it, comfiest most practical estate I have ever had. The d5 engine is very refined compared to many modern 4 bangers too.  I thought the wooshing noise mine made (and the C30 d5 that replaced it) was normal .  If it in good condition otherwise I’d fix, they don’t make them the same anymore.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Fizik you share my sentiments

owenfackrell
    Free Member

The sas on the xc90 isn’t coded but they did change the around the 2005 model year and it became part of the clock spring. This is actually straight forward to replace nad the longest part is leaving the battery disconnected before removing it.

matt_outandabout

I would pay that – £800-1k is still a lot, lot les than new car. Sounds like you will then get another year or two from it – so cheaper motoring…

iamanobody
    Free Member

Need to investigate sending the module off. I agree on the cost but need a guarantee on the abs module tbh

iamanobody
    Free Member

£210 on 2 tyres this AM!!

boblo
    Free Member

Presumably “!!” because you were surprised how cheap they were? 😉

iamanobody
    Free Member

so the cost is £550 for:

top engine mount

lower wishbones (volvo ones)

track rod end

exhaust welding

reset steering wheel to centre

new key body

Going to run it for a bit after and see if the codes reappear, if so then look at chopping it in!

singletrackmind

I was  quoted £500  for a new key coded  to the car from Volvo so that  sounds cheap to me

BBA  reman also do a ABS refirb as well so worth enquiring

Singletrackmind has a  pair of wishbones in his garage , and he doesnt own a V70 anymore

Bet you could fill the  busted  top engine mount with silicone sealant . I did , worked  a  treat  .

mcmoonter
    Free Member

OP, if it’s a 185bhp V70 and you do decide to chop in it, give me a shout. Like some of the others above, I can’t think of a car that would replace my V70 with that best suits my needs other than another one.

iamanobody
    Free Member

So I have the car back £550 later

all mechanical stuff done 😀

no codes come up YET 😀

iamanobody
    Free Member

@mcmoonter will do pal

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Need hive mind – Volvo v70 conundrum’ is closed to new replies.