Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Need advice on fitting All Travel Spacer to 2010 Rev Teams Dual Air (Maxles)
  • Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Hi guys,

As title really, all I want to do is fit a 10mm spacer to my new Rev Team Dual Air Maxles (making travel 140mm) but from reading the SRAM tech manual it looks like they only cater for a complete service? Can I just somehow fit the spacer? Do I need certain oils etc even with just fitting the spacer?

Any links to guides or any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 😀

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Anyone please?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would expect you can take the spring mechanism out (if they are like the foxs) and insert the spacer?

I'll have a look at the manual a mo 🙂

biscuit
    Free Member

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-410-762-000%202006%20Pike%20Reba%20RVL%20Dual%20Air%20Service%20Guide.pdf

follow that link mate, its what i used, was a bit of a faff, wish id just forked out the extra £15 and bought u turns.

Basically you need 15w suspension oil
    internal circlip pliers
    10mm socket spanner and socket to undo top nut (24mm)
    5mm allen key

1.release all air.
    2.undo air piston footnut, unscrew so the end of the nut is beyond the thread but still half on, use a rubber mallet and give a whack to free the piston. Some oil will come out, drain into something or other.
    3.pull out rebound adjuster, undo that side with 5mm allen key. You may lose some oil out here too.
    4.remove lowers, i had to give mine quite a yank, they felt as if they were stuck at first.
    5.undo top nut of positive air side with 24mm socket, drain oil.
    6.use circlip pliers to free the black end of the air piston, then remove air piston.
    7.silde all the parts of the air piston off the end of the rod, taking note of order. There is a rubbery bung at the top, just below bottom out spacer, pull this down too, then slide on all travel spacer to desired travel. push everything back on to the air piston in order.
    8.re insert piston into left hand leg, push right in, re attach circlip.
    9.re install lowers, before putting on footnuts, put in 15mm/cc 15wt oil into each leg, then do up foot nuts to the correct torq settings.
    10. turn upright, pour in 3-5ml 15wt oil into top of positive air chamber, do up top cap, re attach all adjusters/caps after pumping up to desired pressure.

Roberts your mothers brother.

Im sure its simple once you know what you are doing, but it was abit longer than a 10 min job for me as id read you could pop the piston out the top of the fork leg without removing the lowers…..i dont think you can, well i couldnt.

Follow that along with the link and you should get it mate.

Hope that helps

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup like the fox's but a bit more involved (not much help there I know 😉 ) – btw you can if your carefull try and catch all the oil and re-use if if you don't want to Fork (get it) for some new oil 😉

singlespeedstu

id read you could pop the piston out the top of the fork leg without removing the lowers…..i dont think you can, well i couldnt.

You can on a reba so I don't see why you can't on a rev.

biscuit
    Free Member

well, i removed the top cap and loosened the footnut, compressed the fork and in the end had to poke a long screwdriver up to push the air piston out the top, it was a real pain, and when i did manage to pull it out, some parts that were attached to the piston stayed in the lowers…..not great. It also felt as if i could very easily be damaging the fork internals.

so had to remove the lowers, which all would of been easy if i hadnt spent so long arsing about trying the popping out the top route.

Unless you can advise me what i was doing wrong for next time?

singlespeedstu

Let the air out top and bottom.
    Remove the topcap.
    Remove the valve core and bottom nut.
    Use a long thin blunt instrument. I used a long screwdriver with the end ground down flat.
    Push the airspring gently out the top of the fork leg. carefull you don't damage the seals on the internal threads.
    Add/remove spacers depending on if you want more or less travel.
    Push airspring gently back down.
    Replace valve.
    Replace oil.

Works a treat on the reba.

biscuit
    Free Member

yeh as said, that didn't work for me. some of the internals stayed internal and needed to be removed to seat them right when it all went back in.

singlespeedstu

I've done a dozen rebas that way and never had any trouble. 8)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Need advice on fitting All Travel Spacer to 2010 Rev Teams Dual Air (Maxles)’ is closed to new replies.