Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Need a single malt
  • Need a new single malt and my last couple of bottles have been the one’s from Aldi. Any recommendations – deals under £25 please.

Premier Icon gordimhor
    Subscriber

You can get Auchentoshan for £20 in Morrisons I think. From American oak barrels but has no age statement. Nice enough dram at that price.

Premier Icon Bullet
    Subscriber

Dalwhinnie was was my father in laws favourite. Not sure on price though.

malgrey

Talisker Skye has been at £25 in a few supermarkets recently (certainly in Sainsbury’s, can’t remember if the other was a Tesco or Morrisons)

mrb123

You won’t get Dalwhinnie for 25 quid. Possibly the Winter’s Gold version but it is inferior to the 15 year old.

Your best bet is to have a look in the supermarket and see what is on offer. You can often find one of the Taliskers or Laphroiags for that money.

Amazon currently have Aberfeldy for 28 quid if you want a smoother one.

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

Did I see laphroaig 10 yr old in Sainsbury for 27 quid last week?

Otherwise Lidl’s Ben Bracken Islay version is even better than the Aldi stuff for the money.

geomickb

Yeah stretch to Laphroaig 10 £28 in Sainsbury’s. It’s a Marmite thing but I love it.

Yes the Bowmore 12 is also lovely.

Mick

Premier Icon bedmaker
    Subscriber

I’d go Lagavulin 16 at £48 last time I looked in Tesco, and drink half as much.😀

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

lol. My local garage used to be the place to pick up decent cut price malt but they’re not so competitive these days. Shame. Still got a great range – much better than local Tesco/Asda.

What’s the Laphroaig 10 like then? I had a normal one and quite enjoyed it once I settled into the smoke of it.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Laphroaig 10 is the “normal” one in my view.

The cheaper Laphroaig Select(?) is OK but a bit wishy-washy by comparison and the older, differently casked ones and batshit strong ones are all variations on the theme.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

What do you like?

If you want something like Laphroaig only a less medicinal, Talisker might float your boat.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

If his last few bottles have came from aldi then i doubt he’d appreciate a peated whisky as the majority of aldi malts are speyside, tesco have glenmorangie/glenfiddoch/auchentoshan and a few others all at £25 at the moment.

samperry25

Does it have to be a single malt? I’ve had two really good blended malts. Copper Dog was the best and I think it’s cheap in Costco around your price point. The other was from Tesco called Stillman’s Cask also very good. Both made from blends of Speyside malts.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

the majority of aldi malts are speyside

They do an Islay, it’s alright but definitely on the milder side.

I’ve turned back to Glenmorangie of late at it’s often on offer. It improves markedly with a dash of water. In fact it’s my current fave until Caol Isla becomes reasonably priced again.

I’ve had a Jura in the past, Jameson, Chivas, Glenfiddich. I’m open to trying different types but I’m a tight-arse.

136stu

I’d go Lagavulin 16 at £48 last time I looked in Tesco, and drink half as much.

I have a bottle of this but can’t drink it – tastes like antiseptic.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

Laphroaig is more the TCP taste I think!

snaps
    Premier Icon mulacs
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

Ooh, went to Sainsbury’s again this afternoon. Jura 10 yr old at £25 as well. In fact two or three bargainous offerings.

cyclelife

Tamnavulin £20 at ASDA BARGAIN.

mrb123

Yep, Jura journey or Talisker Skye both currently a steal in Sainsbury’s.

Premier Icon nobbingsford
    Subscriber

Glenlivet Founders Reserve is currently £23 at Sainsburys. A very nice drop which you’ll probably enjoy if you like the Speyside style (I do).

In my cupboard at the minute are:

Tomintoul 16
    Dalmore 12
    Glenfiddich 18
    Balvenie 17
    Whisky Castle bottling from Macduff distillery 11 year old

None of which are in the £25 bracket unfortunately 😥

Premier Icon fazzini
    Subscriber

Bushmills malt for me. However, the 21 year old is most definitely not in the £25 price bracket. Not very helpful really. Apologies 🤣

Premier Icon roger_mellie
    Subscriber

Tamnavulin £20 at ASDA BARGAIN.

Came on here to post about Tamnavulin at Waitrose* being £10-off at £22.50. Non-age specific if that bothers you, it’s a bloody lovely after dinner malt.

From the label: Matured in American oak barrels finished in sherry casks. Double Cask matured for a classic Speyside taste; rich, smooth and mellow. 

*I don’t normally shop in Waitrose, honest 😉

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

There’s a regularly updated spreadsheet from HotUKDeals. Enjoy, it gives most spirits bargains for the week.

Ok so I grabbed the Bracken from Lidl in the end. Then saw the Tamnavulin at Waitrose; sods law.
    I’ll see how I go with this and I’ve got a decent list for the next choice. Thanks All.

Oh and the HotUKdeals link of course, thanks to Sandwich

Sui

Ooh a whiskey thread.. I need some help too (sorry for the Hijack).

So a while ago a bottle a bottle
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2400/glenlivet-15-year-old-french-oak-reserve

just to have in the house for guests, i dont remember paying silly money for it, but i must have.. Anyway, the missus all of a sudden decided she really liked it, so drank it rather quickly.

Im not a massive fan of spirits due to a miss-spent youth trying to drown myself in them (beer is another story), so i cant think what is even remotely similar. All i can say is that it’s easier on the throat (no burn) and a little more sweet, easy going. Not peaty either so none of the anticeptic taste that i experience with the Laphroaig stuff…

So what would you buy that’s not £50 a bottle??

ta

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

This Balvenie Caribbean Cask, at £42 its a bloody bargain as i usually buy it at full price £50ish but seeing as it’s this cheap I’ll now buy a bottle for myself and a couple for xmas presents.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

a little more sweet, easy going. Not peaty either

The Juras as previously mentioned. Tobermory is probably about as close to a “training whisky” as I can think of. Highland Park perhaps, Dalmore, Benromach Organic if you can find it (quite possibly my favourite bang-for-your-buck tipple ever). Though TBH you won’t go far wrong with something like Glenmorangie at the supermarket probably-on-offer-somewhere price point.

Unfortunately one of the biggest contributing factors towards “easy going” is age, ergo price.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Oh, and consider water.

Adding a drop of water – literally a drop, the smallest amount you can physically add – can radically change a dram. Some whisky nerds I know have a pipette for this purpose(!)

samperry25

I’ve just got a Bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 at my local Tesco (Newport Harlech Retail Park) for £20.90 as a reduced to clear. One of my favourites and well worth is at about £14 off.

Aerstone Sea Cask and Land Cask were in tesco for £20 the other night. Well worth a shout

cyclelife

Still have Tamnavulin at my local Asda for £20.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.