Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Need a new windproof jacket – whats best?
  • STATO
    Free Member

Looking for a new windproof jacket as ive decided a full waterproof is just too hot at the moment and my current windproof is black so not best for commuting. I have a few main criteria and id like it to be usable off the bike if i go touring, so maybe i need to look at hiking windproofs? Anyway, needs to be…

-Bright enough for traffic without looking like a member of the emergency services, so bright orange/red/blue?
    -Breathable (hence windproof not waterproof, i boil in the bag in every waterproof ive ever used)
    -Packable into a rear jersey pocket.
    -Spray-proof (has to at least fend off occasional drizzle, not bothered if its not great against a massive downpour)
    -Full zip to allow putting on without removing helmet.
    -Long tail incase im on the road bike without mudguards.
    -Hood would be nice for off the bike use.

Too much to ask?
    Ive found a few possibles but most seem out of stock and i need it ASAP really. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Rich

Del

montane.
    drop tail won't me much use against road spray though. no hood neither.

STATO
    Free Member

Cheers, ive found a drop tail works quite well for me as im rather tall and tend to ride in the drops a lot on the road bike (espically in headwinds) and a normal jacket/jersey ride up so the spray soaks my back and runs down my shorts. For MTBing tho yeah, no difference.

STATO
    Free Member

ok so montane have about 50 jackets, any idea which might be good?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Rapha Stowaway

Del

umm, montane 'velo'
    clue's in the name 😉

STATO
    Free Member

Rapha would be nice, but they are out of '09 Orange ones in my size and the '10 are pink, so pass.

Montane velo, cheers. Just went to the website and they have many which seem similar.

matt_outandabout

Montane featherlite – ace, and on sale in Killin outdoor shop at 25 bunts….the shizzle.

alfabus
    Free Member

paramo fuera smock… light, windproof (mine is pretty water resistant too, since it is treated with tx-direct), packs small and comes in bright colours.

Downside, has a hood, but this clips to itself to keep out of the way, and is quite useful if you use the jacket for anything else, like walking.

Doesn't have a full zip, but the neck opening is plenty large enough for a helmet.

Dave

epicsteve
    Free Member

Another Montane Featherlite user here – I find it very useful on and off the bike, plus it's very light and packs down small.

Dudie
    Free Member

Agree with the Paramo Fuera smock. My most used bit of outdoor clothing I think. They also do a full zip version if the smock doesn't appeal.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

I carry one of these in my pack. Brill considering how light it is.

Forget the RRP your LBS should be alot cheaper

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/velocity-dt-2.0-jacket/246

STATO
    Free Member

Featherlite looks good but i think its too bike specific for what i want, trying to be multi use so i dont need to take 2 jackets touring. Looking at the Montane range the Litespeed looks a better match, same material as the Velo but hood and still has the dropped tail.

epicyclo

Montane +1

Fits in a pocket, therefore always gets taken and more likely to be used.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Need a new windproof jacket – whats best?’ is closed to new replies.