• This topic has 60 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by jeffl.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Need a light that’s like an Exposure Diablo but not an Exposure Diablo
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@Jimmy748 how long does that keep the diablo going? May try that with my joystick.

zippykona

Would this power a Diablo? If so would it do a full charge? Anker PowerCore 5000 Portable Charger, Ultra-Compact Power Bank

jimmy748

I run my MK10 in Program mode 1 so normal 1/3/5 hours, rides are normally around 3 hours out the door and with the power bank connected I’ve got around 50% left in the Diablo, I’d say I have it on medium 50% of the time and then high and low about 25% each.

You need to connect the power bank while there is still at least 10-15% charge in the light, if it goes flat it can’t charge and run at the same time, but it should work with any Diablo/Joystick.

jimmy748

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll give it a bash, ta.

I had my Garmin plugged into one doing a 28hr ride, was still at 100% at the end!.

jimmy748

@zippykona, yes any power bank will work, a Diablo is 3,500 mA capacity so that should give it an extra 1.4 times capacity.

teethgrinder

Does that not negate the point of a diablo?

jimmy748

The point of my Diablo is to light the trail ahead of me without running out of power, so no it doesn’t, I could run it on lower power but that would negate the point of the Diablo for me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, agreed. Pisses me off having to manage the power on it, to see you through the full ride.

Replaceable batteries would be great, would sort that issue, that’s why I’ll give the scorch a go.

teethgrinder

My point about the point of a Diablo was that it’s a self-contained unit. If you’re going to have a separate battery attached by a cable for whatever reason would or not be better to have an all-in-two light instead?

zippykona

Jimmy 748 you got me thinking.
    We sell these in the shop 5400 capacity and it does indeed power a Diablo. Sorted, thank you!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@teethgrinder I know what you’re saying, but I’d prefer a replaceable battery.

Riding with no pack, a separate battery is a no.

jimmy748

@teethgrinder a separate battery pack is different to a separate booster pack, this way I can use the Diablo on its own but I like the back up when riding solo or further afield.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And the light is my camp torch, battery pack will charge my phone. Dedicated bike light with battery pack is pretty much only that.

joebristol

I have considered a moon , I was worried about the beam pattern being more focused. Have you found that?

The Vortex Pro is fairly focused yes – it’s ideal for a helmet light with a floody light on the bars.

jeffl

Bit of a thread resurrection. For a while now I’ve been wondering if my Scorch light will fit an Exposure helmet mount. Thanks to a PSA on here I bought a cheap (all things being relative) Exposure helmet mount from Evans. It arrived yesterday and the Scorch seems to fit it ok.

Haven’t had a chance to actually take it out for a spin yet but so far it’s looking good.

stevemorg2

Jeffl – do you prefer the Exposure mount to the Scorch one? Have got a joystick (which I’m selling because I’ve bought a Scorch) but I never thought of swapping the mount

jeffl

@stevemorg2 – The answer is I don’t know yet, but I think I probably will. Reason being that he Scorch one had a lot of the weight on the front of the helmet as I had to mount it quite far forward to get the beam at the correct height. I know the weight of the battery is towards the rear of the fixing point but still wasn’t great.

With the exposure mount it can be placed more towards the top of the helmet, so the weight is more central (front to rear). I think the only concern is that it would sit fairly high up. Oh and the light doesn’t have a lanyard so could ping off if I give it enough of a clout.

I’ll update the thread when I’ve had a chance to ride with it.

stevemorg2

Cheers – my only slight issue with the Scorch is that the battery means I can’t always tip the light as far back as I’d like so the exposure mount may be a solution

nixie

Yes the scorch does fit the exposure mount. I bough the head strap for the battery connector. I use the exposure mount to hold the battery on the back of my helmet with the light unit up front. @stevemorg2 the arrangement I’m using sorts the issue you have.

jeffl

So bit of an update on this. I finally went out for the first night ride last night with the exposure helmet mount and scorch light. It worked really well. The ball and socket joint allows you to easily alter the direction of the beam. For example if you’re sitting up to spin up a hill or head down and elbows out going downhill you can easily alter the angle to point the light where you need it, although TBF it’s a pretty wide flood beam rather than a spot.

The weight and stack height wasn’t a problem as it was nicely centred on the helmet.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Need a light that’s like an Exposure Diablo but not an Exposure Diablo’ is closed to new replies.