Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Need a cheapish laptop quick
  • higgo
    Free Member

I know it’s done to death here on a regular basis. Feel free to point me at a recent thread if relevant.

I need a ‘general purpose’ laptop in the £300-350 range.
    I need it quick. I can get to Currys, Comet or John Lewis tomorrow. I could order from Tesco and collect on Tuesday. Or I could order online tomorrow and ‘wfh’ Tuesday for next-day delivery.

Almost anything will knock the bollocks off my old one for performance. Most annoying thing about the old one was that itwas noisy and hot, so quiet and cool are as important as outright performance.

What do you recommend?

druidh
    Free Member

I’d usually recommend the Dell Outlet store but I doubt you’d get it that quickly 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

Acre Aspire done me fine for last two years.

higgo
    Free Member
    Russell96

Andy at that price if you want a smallish screened one then go for one with the AMD E450 CPU it’ll knock spots off the Intel CPU’s at that price/size point plus will allow for a lot more RAM than the artificial limit Intel place on their Atoms plus the integrated graphics are a lot better.

higgo
    Free Member

Definitely not looking at anything with an Atom.
    Although I want a laptop, portability isn’t a big factor – I’ve got a tablet for that.

captain-slow
    Free Member

I have the previous version of this if you can stretch to £430 Tosh from John Lewis

Has been spot on for 12 months and of course having been bought from JL has a further 12 month warranty as standard…

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Very pleased with my HP from Tesco- still some good deals on there

ThePinkster

What part of the world are you in? if you’re near ish to Chester the Toshiba shop at Cheshire Oaks normally has some very good value Recon laptops in stock. In most cases they’re not even recons, just needed repackaging because the box got damaged in transit.

Got my 17″ Satellite laptop from there for £199 about 18 months ago.

higgo
    Free Member

Blew the budget (by £9.99) and went for this one:
    http://www.simplyacer.com/Acer_Aspire_5749_1289682.html

It ticks all the boxes for me – I’m sure we’ll be very happy together.

captain-slow
    Free Member

dual core processor and 8 gig of ram should make it fly…

higgo
    Free Member

Replaces AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-64 with 2Gb RAM.

hammerite
    Free Member

Not sure if they still do this, but Acer laptops I’ve seen came packaged with some sort of utility software installed. Really slowed down the machine (although prob not with 8gb!).

I always uninstalled this and they worked pretty well after that.

higgo
    Free Member

I’ll be doing plenty of uninstalling tomorrow, for sure.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Need a cheapish laptop quick’ is closed to new replies.