Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Need a bit of IT advice, please
  • hitman
    Free Member

Currently scanning lots of documents to laptop in the form of searchable pdf files. This is my attempt to go paperless!

Backing up via a freecom external hard drive. I can’t really afford to lose the documents so should I back up once more using another external hard drive? Is there a better provision against data loss?

Also concerned about security as use laptop to access the Internet. In this case should I only hold sensitive files on external hard drive and make sure I disconnect when I connect to the web?

Any advice most appreciated.

redthunder
    Free Member

In this case should I only hold sensitive files on external hard drive and make sure I disconnect when I connect to the web?

Yes and Yes and Burn to a CD (Solid State).

You may also consider exporting as TXT. As all formats go out of date.

GrahamS

If you are concerned about security then the first thing I’d do is look at encrypting the PDF files with a password. You can probably do this as you generate them as PDFs have various built-in security restrictions.

Also you might want to think about an off-site back up.

This could simply be burning a DVD of the documents and giving it to a trusted friend (or solicitor, or safety deposit box).

Or you could use one of the many online backup services where you upload your files to a secure area on the web. e.g. http://mozy.com/ or http://www.carbonite.com/

hitman
    Free Member

Thanks both, some good advice there
    Red Thunder – TXT=text?

redthunder
    Free Member

Aye.

plain text files.

You can always format at another time.

Stoner
    Free Member

the problem with text files is that while it will record the text of the document, it wont record it’s nature – e.g. signed, company headed paper, invoice structure and fields etc.

pdf is so ubiquitous that for all intents and purposes there will always be pdf readers available.

GrahamS

Agree with Stoner.

PDF is so ubiquitous that readers and converters will be available for many decades to come.

Another thing to consider: if these are legal documents etc then make sure you leave details on how to get them, passwords etc in your will.

redthunder
    Free Member

Never rely on PDF readers etc. for the future. I’m sure they will be around for yonks.

I’m having a problem right now with old Lotus Organizer files.

The old way to store documents is in the printed format or chisel them in to your nearest cave wall 😉

ivan_w_1983
    Free Member

Also if you decide to record to DVD/CD make sure of the life of the media as the dye used in them can degrade over time. Some of my recorded DVDs have started to become unreadable after about 4 years or so. I believe that sony media is guaranteed for 30 years, my friend told me this so not sure how true it is.
    Cheers
    Ivan

Haze

Get another external/removable drive, sync the 2 together.

GrahamS

I’m having a problem right now with old Lotus Organizer files

Things have moved on a bit though since the days of Lotus Organizer.
    The entire internet is using PDFs and it is an open standard that is published by ISO (much like ASCII text).

It’s not going anywhere for a long time yet.

DVD/CD make sure of the life of the media as the dye used in them can degrade over time.

True. Archival DVDs improve on this greatly but are much more expensive.

Get another external/removable drive, sync the 2 together.

Only really useful if you then take the second drive off-site. No point in having two drives if they are both destroyed in the same fire/flood/tornado whatever.

Haze

Hence the “removable” comment! 😉

vinnyeh

Back up to two external hdd’s, incase of mechanical failue. Another copy to offsite dvd or other semi permanent media (print, fiche, tape etc), which should be regularly refreshed(say annually). No chance of pdf’s disappearing for a long while, and there would certainly be a conversion/transfer process available, but it is always a good idea to also have a backup of the application to read the source.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Need a bit of IT advice, please’ is closed to new replies.