Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Need a 3rd party bike appraisal to settle eBay case, anybody in Dundee area?
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Evening all,

As title really, I purchased a bike (2016 Orange 5) from eBay a few weeks back. Bike arrived and I believe it is not as described, forks and shock are in need of a service at the very least in my opinion. There was no mention of this on the advert. The rebound adjuster on the forks has little to no effect on the feeling of the fork and there is a clunk and a rapid rise in the last 10-15mm of travel (rockshox pike circa 2014).

Rear shock is a cane creek double barrel air shock, again the rebound and compression adjustment has little to no effect on the performance of the shock, it is also dropping pressure (very slowly but still it is loosing pressure).

I’m not usually one to open disputes etc but I feel the bike was mis sold, had it been mentioned the forks and shock needed services I wouldn’t have purchased it, I’m also not a complete novice with bikes etc, I have set up the suspension on all my bikes (mountain and motor bikes) for the last 10+ years so I have an idea when something doesn’t feel right. And this doesn’t feel right.

Anyway. PayPal are asking for a quotation or invoice type thing to list what is wrong with the bike and what action is required to fix it.. and a price to do this.

I know I can send the forks and shock of for a service but I would like to try and settle this dispute before I’m out of pocket any further.

Is there anybody, shop or otherwise in the industry who can help me with this in Dundee?

Thanks

Mike.

dc1988

I would say it’s worth seeing if the fork/shock are broken (but repairable). I would expect a bike of that age to need the suspension to be serviced unless specified otherwise but a standard service would be for if they aren’t feeling as plush or supple as they should rather than not working properly.

jca

Take it down to Spokes cycles on Annfield Road – I’m sure they would help. Very helpful workshop staff who should be able to advise on what is required.

You can visit Clark’s bakery next door to pick-up a helicopter while your there…

helicopter

I really think @binners should live in Dundee…

jkomo

Was it sold as ‘mint condition’ or similar? I wouldn’t assume it’s been serviced at all
    unless they say. Same for frame and wheel bearings.
    I guess all my second hand bike purchases have been through STW, and that sort of info is usually given.

jkomo

Also please can you run through the contents of above bap please.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Spokes has a long and illustrious line of mechanics including Mick and Tracey Hannah’s world cup spanner wrangler and, er, me. I’d take it to them but it’s worth noting that I don’t think any shop in Dundee could actually do the work in house. Flotec Suspension in Dunkeld may be a good alternative. But if that’s too much of a drive Spokes will sort you out.

mashr

Flotec is closed so might as well just stick with the best LBS you can

dmorts

@jkomo

Clark’s Bakery helicopter burger: an artery-hardening, delicious combination of burger, lorne sausage, bacon, fried egg, and chips in a bun.

jca

Keeping the thread on-topic…

@jkomo

1/4 lb burger
    lorne sausage
    bacon
    fried egg
    chips
    cardiac arrest

and all yours for less than £4 (last time I looked!)

Aidy
    Free Member

Was it sold as ‘mint condition’ or similar? I wouldn’t assume it’s been serviced at all
    unless they say. Same for frame and wheel bearings.

I’d agree with this – if the suspension was completely unsalvageable, that’d be one thing, but I’d kinda expect that second hand bikes would need servicing unless otherwise stated.

slowoldman

Why helicopter? PS, can’t advise on the shocks, sorry.

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks folks, my first thought was spokes but I wanted to get confirmation first that they could help. I have dealt with them in the past and always been happy with the work and service. I appreciate it’s a used bike and therefore may need parts changing or replaced etc but it should have been stated in the description. When I have sold bikes in the past they have been well described and well presented prior to boxing etc. Not wanting to slate anybody online incase they know the bike etc but it needs a good clean, I guess one persons “immaculately presented” is different from the other. Just little things like the paint flaking off the wheels (mavic crossmax), front brake hose router behind the fork brace and under the headset etc made me think.. I need to take a closer look at this.

I’ll visit spokes tomorrow and see Gordon, he is always good for a blether. And yeah there is nobody local who can do the servicing to they will have to go off to TF Tuned if PayPal don’t side with me for a refund.

Anyway.. back on topic.. Clark’s bakery cheese burger.. yum!

dovebiker

That helicopter bap needs to come with a donation to the Scottish Air Ambulance…instant heart attack surprise

docgeoffyjones

Did you ask the seller what condition the suspension was in before completing the purchase?

Trimix
    Free Member

A 2016 bike on eBay needing its suspension serviced – that’s not a surprise.

I’m actually surprised you didn’t expect that, or gone to see it first.

Andy

Presumably this was sold as “Used” which is “The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended.” On that basis I would simply return as not described unless you got a massive bargain. You are close to January as well when it becomes more of a buyers market.

Think if try and resolve through paypal you run risk of not getting additional costs covered. I would sort this via ebay.

matt_outandabout

Stirling Bike Doctor also does shock servicing.

I personally would expect suspension on a bike of that age needs servicing, and would have asked the question on purchase about when it was last serviced and does it all work. Hindsight however is a wonderful thing.

Phil_H

This company is based in Arbroath.

Home

1981miked
    Free Member

Well yes in hindsight I should have maybe asked, but on the other side of the coin perhaps it should have been mentioned in the description. Viewing before wasn’t an option as I’m in Scotland and it was down south.

I’ll see what the shop says today, I certainly think it’s not as described so will see how it goes I guess.

I have bought and sold loads of bikes on eBay etc and never had an issue.. maybe just been lucky and now my luck has ran out.

convert

I would expect a bike of that age to need the suspension to be serviced unless specified otherwise

This

Viewing before wasn’t an option as I’m in Scotland and it was down south.

Yeah – but that’s the risk you take. Was it originally advertised as collection only or specifically as a postable item?

v7fmp

what did the seller say when you contacted them and explained your disappointment?

In the past, when selling bike components etc i would always give the service history of a suspension component. Most of the time they fell into the ‘works well, but a service would bring them back to 100%’. Just so the buyer knows what they are getting.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

Does not help you but if someone can not be bothered to clean a bike they are selling tells you a lot about them and bike Hmm.

richardthird

Mate bought a ‘barely used’ bike off ebay, went and collected it, rode it up the road a bit then brought it back and rode it properly.

Hmm, this fork is not right! We took it off to service it, hmm that damper bath looks like water. Damn it is water! Neither top cap things (that you do up with a socket) were tight so it must have got in through there.

First hydrolocked fork I’d seen. Good as gold after a diy service and fresh oil.

I’d expect a 5+ year old bike bought off ebay to need everything doing tbh – suss, pivots, the lot. If anything has been done I’d expect the seller to be shouting it from the rooftops in order to get a decent price. Most people do absolutely nothing in the way of maintenance and just replace the whole thing on once it feels a bit ropey.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Need a 3rd party bike appraisal to settle eBay case, anybody in Dundee area?’ is closed to new replies.