Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • ‘New’ Frames
  • cromolyolly
    Free Member

There’s a bike shop on ebay that’s selling ‘new’ frames which are missing things that should come with a new frame (headset, touch-up paint, in one case a mismatched fork).

Most are from previous years. How are they getting their hands on them? Does e.g. Genesis sell off frames they had for warranty replacement etc? I know there are a couple of people in here that are involved in the bike trade that might know this.

Tim
    Free Member

Ships and manufacturers clear their stick down at basically btrade occasionally. Same reason TK Maxx exists (or planet x 🙂 )

I’ve never had touch up paint or a headset as standard though!

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Link?

tomhoward

I’ve bought plenty of frames, none have come with a headset or touch up paint. Indeed, some big brands actively don’t supply paint, even if you ask for it, to prevent counterfeiting.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Some manufacturers and distributors (Trek being one) will have a “scratch and dent” sale every now and then, selling stock they have with imperfections to dealers who can then sell them on cheaply.

brant
    Free Member

some big brands actively don’t supply paint, even if you ask for it, to prevent counterfeiting.

I’ve not heard that one. The way I had it explained to me was that most wet paint frames are a combination of a base coat and a laquer, and it would require a whole seperate paint operation to create a paint match for a single pot application, which in reality can be colour matched from a model shop.

I suppose if I ever did bikes again, I might start with a known airfix colour then reverse engineer the frame colour from it. But I’m not so I won’t.

brant
    Free Member

missing things that should come with a new frame (headset, touch-up paint, in one case a mismatched fork).

Sounds like warranty frames, old stock that have had stuff robbed or early photo samples. Just shit lying around that someone has cleared.

duckman

suppose if I ever did bikes again, I might start with a known airfix colour then reverse engineer the frame colour from it. But I’m not so I won’t.

As a fan of your design, if not always your ex-employers execution of said design, I kind of hope that isn’t the case.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very rare to get touch-up paint with a frame IME.

Last time was on a Lapierre in about 2010, I think.

finbar
    Free Member

Touch-up paint! I got a little pot with a GT (my first ever proper MTB) I bought in 1993 or 1994. It had dried up by the time I came to use it… never seen any since.

ads678

Link?

+1

mutepoint
    Free Member

Still making snooty vfm hereditary fashion Brant?

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Kona often include touch up paint, several if more than one main colour. TBH I think every high end bike should come with it. Trek, Giant and Norco frames mostly include headsets.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I think he’s on about this lot, they seem to have bought some odds and sods of Madison and Giant-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/rmcycles-online?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

tomhoward

Trek, Giant… frames mostly include proprietary headsets.

IIRC

chakaping
    Free Member

I bought a road bike from that shop earlier this year, via eBay.

Good service, very helpful guy.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Must be said every Genesis I’ve seen has come with a headset, and seatpost clamp unlike those on ebay. Probably like Brant says. Message them and find out.

chestrockwell

My 2016 Orange P7 came with a small pot of paint. The full suss bikes that get painted in house don’t.

chakaping
    Free Member

My 2016 Orange P7 came with a small pot of paint. The full suss bikes that get painted in house don’t.

That feels a bit unfair considering the price of them, but they are really hard to chip TBF.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

That’s the place. Didn’t want to ‘out ‘ them just in case.
    They aren’t apparently a genesis dealer now, may have been in the past. I know the 2017 green Cdf framesets came with a headset, little bottle of touch up paint. Not sure about seatclamp. He wasn’t aware of this which made me wonder what the situation was. Don’t know what it does to warranty claim

Just on the subject of touch up paint – Genesis have a useful doc. On the website that tells you the closest paint match by code.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I’ve not heard that one. The way I had it explained to me was that most wet paint frames are a combination of a base coat and a laquer, and it

I thought most bikes were powder coated these days, so matching paint is not easy. Plus not all paints will go over powder coat.

stevextc
    Free Member

brant

Sounds like warranty frames, old stock that have had stuff robbed or early photo samples. Just shit lying around that someone has cleared.

How about no paint?
    Randomly for example

No paint

endomick
    Free Member

Nukeproof mega came with touch up paint and a headset, although the paint is useless IMO.
    I wish frames were available in cheaper raw option.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

@stevextc

What is that? Reminds me of the chrome painted bmx frames of yesteryear.

stevextc
    Free Member

@ cromolyolly

What is that? Reminds me of the chrome painted bmx frames of yesteryear.

Better ask @brant to make sure but looks like a unpainted Planet-X Jack Flash or a very good copy.
    Jack Flash?

brant
    Free Member

That’s a sample of the new jack flash that just launched.
    Tapered head tube.

mick_r

Have been helping a local shop build bikes during covid chaos. The main brand he deals with holds a stock of old frames for warranty and then sells leftovers to dealers after around 4 years (so with a lot of effort he could still assemble bikes when normal stocks ran out).

They come boxed (so nothing lost or misplaced) and had no supporting parts – no seat collar, headset or cable guide for under the bb.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘‘New’ Frames’ is closed to new replies.