Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Nearly had it with Android. Is Google Pixel the answer?
  • phil5556

TL;DR Is the Google Pixel 2 any good without ANY issues?

I’ve always liked and supported Android, from my first HTC Desire it’s all I’ve had.

I still really like the way it does things, my current phone is quick, smooth, good screen and takes decent photos and generally works well.

BUT it also has a couple of bugs.

It’s 50:50 as to whether the audio will connect to my car first time, a cycle of disconnecting and reconnecting usually sorts it. Apart from sometimes, where I have to go through a random sequence of disabling BT on the phone and car, 2 or 3 times until it finally connects. And I’m never sure what’s fixed?

And since updating to the latest OS version 9 it doesn’t listen to me when I shout OK Google at it, which used to be very useful in the car. It’s been broken since January with seemingly no fix on the way.

My previous phone worked fine until Motorola stopped updating it and broke the bluetooth completely with the last update they put out. Brilliant.

So before I move to Apple should I give Android one last go in the form of a Google Pixel? Do they get updated and fixed without delay and any annoying bugs?

There’s a few things I don’t like on the iPhone, I’m sure I’d get used to them though, but the main thing is my other half has had them for the past 7 years and they always just work. She never has to dick about with resetting things or trying to find an app that does something properly.

Sorry that turned into a longer moan than planned :/

cp

What is your current phone?

And what is your car? I’ve found some cars a nightmare to connect to with seemingly poor Bluetooth implementation.

fossy

No issues here with BT connecting with the missus car (mine doesn’t have it so I use ‘car mode’, which runs through the phone’s loudpeaker and mic).

Possibly ‘forget’ the car, and re-connect from scratch ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure but “Hey Google” needs it to be in a listening mode to work – mu phone doesn’t pick it up when locked when I’m talking to my Home, if it’s in Android Auto it does – when connected to your car I think you can set the trusted location to make it listen or be unlocked when connected.

As for connections my Moto is good 90% of the time though forgetting and starting again sorts out any hire car that has been a bit funny – though a pixel should have the latest standards that will depend on your car set up as to if it’s going to work any better

phil5556

What is your current phone?

And what is your car? I’ve found some cars a nightmare to connect to with seemingly poor Bluetooth implementation.

It’s a Nokia 8. It’s really nice when it works.

Car is a 2012 BMW with IDrive. It’s not just the car though, I’ve got a BT speaker that it doesn’t always connect to aswell.

Possibly ‘forget’ the car, and re-connect from scratch ?

Unfortunately I’ve done that loads of times, old phone was the same until Motorola/Google totally broke it.

phil5556

Not sure but “Hey Google” needs it to be in a listening mode to work – mu phone doesn’t pick it up when locked when I’m talking to my Home, if it’s in Android Auto it does – when connected to your car I think you can set the trusted location to make it listen or be unlocked when connected.

As for connections my Moto is good 90% of the time though forgetting and starting again sorts out any hire car that has been a bit funny – though a pixel should have the latest standards that will depend on your car set up as to if it’s going to work any better

The whole Hey Google things seems to be wider issue with a number of phones, on mine it will work once and then not again until either restarting the phone or disabling/re-enabling the voice settings. Google have apparently changed how it’s supposed to work when the phone’s locked, but it should still work, just not fully unlock the phone.

My GFs car has Android Auto and it used to work perfectly in that, I haven’t tried it again recently but it had stopped working. Clicking the microphone button always works, it’s just the initial activation.

I’ve just opened the Auto app and it doesn’t make it work 🙁

phil5556

Oh yeah, and the compass is currently 180 degrees out since Android Pie came along.

Cougar

Have a look on XDA-devs maybe, see if there’s an alternate ROM for it.

phil5556

Have a look on XDA-devs maybe, see if there’s an alternate ROM for it.

No.

In a previous time I would, but I shouldn’t have to spend time & energy to get it working with some software that a teenager has been working on instead of doing his homework.

(And I also don’t think anyone has managed to unlock the Nokia 8)

matt_outandabout

It’s a Nokia 8.

Family_oab has one of those. It’s a right flakey thing. Issues with sound and headphone jack, WiFi connectivity and bluetooth.

Our other Androids over the years (Moto 3,4,5 and 6) and current Sony XZ1 and Huawei something have been rock solid, only died through dead battery or lack of storage three years in after buying a budget phone.

nickc

If you’ve had HTC and liked them, then look at the One Plus series. They’re very much the same sort of thing, all the good bits of Android, very little of the crap.

Captain_Sponge

I’ve been happily using a Pixel and Pixel 2 with my car over the last few years, very reliable connection so I’d recommend it.

Del

What the hell have Motorola got to do with your Nokia?
    Just gone from a Moto g5 to a pocophone F1. Very pleased with it. Great spec and there are noticeable improvements in behaviour.

mattyfez

Hardware and vendor software varies a lot, if you want maximum compatibility get an LG, HTC or a Samsung. Or a pixel

fossy

I’m afraid it’s likely the phone. No issues with Samsungs at all.

chestrockwell

I’d go Apple.

Similar situation to you, have a Samsung S7 that has the potential to be very good but has far too many niggles, as does the Android system IMO. Liked my Windows Nokia before it, far more reliable.

The reason for the Apple recommendation is for exactly the reason you state. I’ve never had one but the Mrs does and, as you say, they just seem to work.

phil5556

What the hell have Motorola got to do with your Nokia?

Nothing directly, but another example of Android obsolescence. The Motorola was still good, but no more updates = stuck with a bug which Google fixed in the next update, Motorola didn’t give me the update.

mickmcd
    Free Member

i have a pixel 2 and 3 first one the pixel xl died in 6 months

not had any issues with either the 2 or 3

phil5556

@fossy

I’m afraid it’s likely the phone. No issues with Samsungs at all.

Is it on Android 9 Pie? If so can you shout Hey Google at it and see if it works??

(I don’t like the software/skins etc on Samsung but tbf they do have a good reputation of mostly working).

w00dster

Had Android for years, but in the end the niggles pushed me to the dark side. Which isn’t niggle free but it is more stable. My Samsung s7 edge was pretty pants to be honest.
    It was my samsung deciding on whether it would connect to the car or not that made me go to Apple.
    Being a techie and not a fan of Apple I really wanted Android to work, but it was just getting more and more flakier with each release or new phone.
    I also had the Windows Nokia, hmmm. Had potential but real lack of investment from MS and third party developers.

Cougar

can you shout Hey Google at it and see if it works??

Have you tried “ok Google” instead?

phil5556

Yes. Neither Hey nor OK work and both should.

chewkw
    Free Member

Is it on Android 9 Pie? If so can you shout Hey Google at it and see if it works??

(I don’t like the software/skins etc on Samsung but tbf they do have a good reputation of mostly working).

Samsung Note 9 here with the latest Android version 9 software … both “Hey Google” and “Ok Google” work fine but it does not work with “hello Google” unless I use it on Google search page.

Go buy a Samsung Note 9 as the price has dropped since the released of Samsung S10.

molgrips
    Free Member

The Bluetooth issues will be hardware related not actual Android itself, but that doesn’t help you except to point out that another Android phone is as likely to work as an iPhone. You can get phones from the operators with a cooling off period so you can test it with your car and return if it doesn’t work.

The OK Google thing, I’d expect that to be a settings change but I can’t say for sure. OK Google works for me on my S9 in Auto mode.

scotroutes

“OK Google” works fine on my Xperia ZX2 whether it’s locked or not. It’s part of the Assistant setting to choose that option.

Del

Also note that ok Google won’t work when the phone is locked unless you enable that feature. It’s off by default.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a Pixel 2 and a Dacia Duster, everything works fine for me except Android Auto doesn’t always launch if I don’t have the phone unlocked when I start the car. Other half has an iPhone X and a Fiesta and she has problems after every single apple update.

I do also have an iPad because apple appear to be the only ones bothered with tablets but I really do find iOS a pain in the arse for so many little things.  I would not go back to an iPhone unless something changed dramatically ( I’ve had one in the past)

andrewreay

I’d try a pixel 2 or even a 3 (the 3 is £24 per month / £515 now).

I’ve had no issues with my 3 and only replaced the original Pixel because the usb connector began playing up and wouldn’t always charge or connect to Android Auto. But that was after 2.5 years of pretty heavy abuse.

Wireless connections are good now and always were on the original.

The Pixels have always been listening out (in) for their wake up call. The voice activation is really, really impressive and well integrated.

phil5556

I’m away snowboarding and then for work so the current phone has until I get back from all that to sort itself out or I’m going to give an iPhone a try.

Or maybe a Pixel.

phil5556

Also note that ok Google won’t work when the phone is locked unless

Yep it’s all enabled as it should be.

petefromearth

Previously had a Pixel and now a Pixel 2

Both have been excellent in terms of stability and functionality

I seriously hate the bloatware and guff that comes with Samsung, HTC, Sony etc. The Android on Pixel is clean and minimal out of the box, and works as well as Apple (if not better).

Like you OP I can’t be bothered to look for custom ROMs or whatever to customise something that was shite to begin with.

I had an issue with the battery on the first one which was replaced under warranty and they gave me a Pixel 2, which has been faultless.

The voice recognition etc does work extremely well, but a while back I decided to don my tin foil hat and switch off all the tracking and listening. Can’t say I’ve missed it at all.

Also the camera is incredible

Only downside is the high price

phil5556

I seriously hate the bloatware and guff that comes with Samsung, HTC, Sony etc

That’s why I chose the Nokia tbh. It’s pretty much stock Android, so *should* be good.

scotroutes

I seriously hate the bloatware and guff that comes with Samsung, HTC, Sony etc

Now that we have decent amounts of memory in phones, any additional apps can pretty much be ignored. Other than the camera and dialler I don’t think I’m using any of the original Sony apps.

Flaperon

I have a Pixel 3. Bluetooth is a little flaky in my car, with some calls being randomly routed to the phone speaker (which is really unhelpful because it’s in the glovebox), and media streaming is unreliable. Android Auto is usually OK though, but still a bit dodgy. Might be my car, but it’s never played up with an iPhone and it’s pretty recent.

It always connects first time though.

OK Google is becoming restricted on all Android phones, and even my Google Home Hub regularly ignores me.

The big advantage is no bloatware, new toys come to the Pixel first as Google release them (although none of the call screening stuff in the UK), and updates are always quick.

Jamze

Grass not always greener. My Android works 100%, Bluetooth works great, even in the car where it connects to the car as a handsfree headset for phone and also to BT/FM adapter for audio streaming.

Wife’s iPhone 7 is a PITA on WiFi. Always losing data (even thought it’s connected to the same WiFi I’m on).

Have you tried clearing out the Bluetooth system app caches and files (storage in settings)? This helped me with an unreliable BT connection to a Fitbit.

phil5556

@Jamze you’re out you probably right, but I’ve had various Android phones and they’ve all had some kind of issue at some point. But I really like the way it all works.

I’ve done all the resetting that can be done, including a factory reset and worked through some other things with online support.

I think my other half has had an iPhone 4, 5S, 6, and 2 SEs and AFAIK no issues with any apart from battery, which she just had replaced for £25. Infact they didn’t replace the battery, just gave her a new phone.

It’s all first world problems I know.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Also note that ok Google won’t work when the phone is locked unless

Or if battery saver is on ,

Also if you go to assistant settings Google assistant might be active but the voice part toggle is off or greyed out.

If so retrain it then restart the phone and you can toggle it on in assistant settings

phil5556

Update….

While on holiday I received an update. Yay!

They added “digital wellbeing” so now I can see how long I use certain apps for.

They also fixed NONE of the bugs.

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s a Nokia 8.

Family_oab has one of those. It’s a right flakey thing. Issues with sound and headphone jack, WiFi connectivity and bluetooth.

Got one and have none of these issues. It’s virtually stock Android so the Pixel won’t be much different. Newer Nokia phones are Android One which is probably closer but that’s just stock Android with a heavier Google ecosystem leaning.

Anyway, BT issues in my experience are with the device connecting to not the phone. For example I have endless issues with connecting to my Garmin, but I’ve had that with three different phones and one wasn’t even Android (Windows Phone). Worked out the Garmin needs to be power cycled before BT will connect. Every time. It’s had that bug since day 1 and no Garmin firmware has fixed it.

Car (Civic) BT however has no problems with my Nokia 8, or any other phone.

phil5556

Let’s see if this goes any better….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Nearly had it with Android. Is Google Pixel the answer?’ is closed to new replies.