Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)
  • Near miss with hikers – unlucky or irresponsible?
  • vmgscot

Ben Jones guiding down Lairig Ghru and has a very close call with walkers.
    Setting a poor example on a blind corner or by the grace of god go us?
    8:15 in the video
    https://youtu.be/l-1-hJXv_DE

Bez

I’d go with irresponsible, assuming it’s not a dedicated bike trail.

(Edit: was originally “the former” but it wasn’t clear whether that was referring to the title or the post…)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The former, assuming it’s not a dedicated bike trail.

Agreed.

tjagain

Just about acceptable in that they did just stop in the space they could see. However a bit too much on the dickish side – and a longer stop and apology and a wait for those following would not have gone amiss

whitestone
    Free Member

He even comments that it’s the one blind corner on the route. Yeah, poor example on a shared use trail.

lowey

I’d say just unlucky. They stopped in time although a bit of a breather and craic with the walkers would have been in order.

scotroutes

There is more than one “blind corner” on that track and it is a very popular walking trail into the Lairig Ghru. A local bike shop owner has already come in for criticism for knocking over a child cycling up.

Both cases indefensible and (IMO) contrary to Scottish Access Legislation.

tomparkin

About the 8min 10s mark for those not wanting to scrub through the whole video.

It looks a bit quick into the corner to me, but it’s hard to really tell from the video. I think his lean angle into the turn possibly makes it look faster and more aggressive than it is.

I guess the fact that he stopped in the available space probably argues for it being appropriate speed, but it looks like squeaky bum time all around and I bet those walkers were fairly well shaken.

dissonance

Bad example. If its blind either slow down or if its that fun to run fast get someone below as a spotter.

scotroutes

I guess the fact that he stopped in the available space probably argues for it being appropriate speed, but it looks like squeaky bum time all around and I bet those walkers were fairly well shaken.

Yeah, every time I’m cycling on the road and a car/truck/bus passes me with 2cm to spare its just fine because they didn’t actually hit me.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Bit of a dick move, especially so given they know the trail (and that it’s a blind corner).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

irresponsible – buy a less ‘capable’ bike and ride slower for the same thrill…

Poopscoop

I’d go with irresponsible.

jameso

guiding down

Hmm. Go ahead slower and let the others ride a clear trail behind you then, maybe? Anyone would have a right to be pissed off at seeing someone have to haul up that quick in front of you – walker, another rider, etc.

Davesport

Irresponsible IMO knowing full well that the path is going to be in use by walkers of all ages and abilities. A blind bend is exactly that. If you were to ask the same question of anyone who’s not a dedicated mountain biker I don’t think you’d get a favourable response. And the point for me is how would these riders be perceived by other users of the path? Poor form and ridden with the expectation that others will move off to one side to allow you through.

I like Andy’s videos but that one doesn’t set a good example.

matt_outandabout

Out with the spirit of both rule no.1 and Scottish access laws.

philjunior
    Free Member

It did look a bit too fast, and like they should’ve spotted the walkers before they disappeared behind the tree.

Then again they did stop. And everyone makes misjudgements, so I’m not going to get too upset/judgemental when nobody’s got hurt.

martinhutch

I’d be heartily embarrassed if I had to pull an emergency stop like that to avoid wiping someone out. As a professional guide and organiser of MTB trips I certainly wouldn’t want it stuck on Youtube!

andy4d

3.25 they pass walkers/runners (maybe a bit fast imo) who tell the riders ‘you shouldnt be doing that’.

poah
    Free Member

I think the video makes it worse than it is. you can hear braking before the corner. The fact they stopped so quickly shows they couldn’t have been going that fast. That said given the corner Ben should have slowed down more before hand

scotroutes

3.25 they pass walkers/runners (maybe a bit fast imo) who tell the riders ‘you shouldnt be doing that’.

Different trail, different conditions. They were maybe going a bit too fast and would have appeared “scary” to anyone else on the path (it’s not very wide). I’m not sure that dismissing the criticism out of hand was clever either. Maybe try taking into account a bit?

richmtb

A bit dickish IMHO. Its shared use, you need to ride accordingly

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, internet judgements, super! The walker seemed ok with it, so I’m ok with it, seeing as I wasn’t there or ever will be.

whitestone
    Free Member

Actually on the first trail, one of the women says “hello” and her friend says “You shouldn’t be …”.

tomparkin

Yeah, every time I’m cycling on the road and a car/truck/bus passes me with 2cm to spare its just fine because they didn’t actually hit me.

Point taken, although I’m not sure the two scenarios are entirely comparable.

Anyway, what I was trying to say was that although the rider stopped in time (and hence one might argue that the speed was appropriate for the corner), it looked pretty dicey, and that’d suggest to me that he was going too fast.

Going back to the OP’s question: yes, setting a poor example.

Bez

The walker seemed ok with it, so I’m ok with it

I’ve nearly been flattened by someone in a car before and we had a brief but very polite and stereotypically English conversation in the immediate aftermath. Doesn’t mean I wasn’t very nearly hospitalised, though, or that I wasn’t replaying and editing the conversation in my head after we parted.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Doing it professionally, you need to be squeaky clean.

Could he stop in the distance he could see to be clear? Yes, just, but was it by luck or judgement? Looks like the first.

Timber Bell for the lead rider might have given the walkers a bit more reaction time but only less speed would have helped the lead rider.

chakaping
    Free Member

Setting a poor example on a blind corner or by the grace of god go us?

Bit of both, TBH.

tdog
    Free Member

Imo I genuinely cannot see any issue here apart from her gob.

kittyr
    Free Member

Irresponsible and dickish behavior on shared path

chevychase

Exuberant irresponsibility.

Still: irresponsibility.

tjagain

Imo I genuinely cannot see any issue here apart from her gob.

Have you read the scottish access code? Your right to cycle on tracks like this is a qualified not absolute right – and the qualification is to behave responsibly

Access rights extend to cycling. Cycling on hard surfaces, such as wide paths and tracks, causes few problems. On narrow routes, cycling may cause problems for other people, such as walkers and horse riders. If this occurs, dismount and walk until the path becomes suitable again. Do not endanger walkers and horse riders: give other users advance warning of your presence and give way to them on a narrow path. Take care not to alarm farm animals, horses and wildlife. If you are cycling off-path,particularly in winter, avoid: •going onto wet, boggy or soft ground; and•churning up the surface.CYCLING>Scottish Outdoor Access Code, 2005

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve nearly been flattened by someone in a car before and we had a brief but very polite and stereotypically English conversation in the immediate aftermath

Oh yeah, definitely wouldn’t be happy with a car on the Cairngorm trail. That’d be well wrong.

poah
    Free Member

Andrew went past that gobshite woman slowly. Struggling to see what danger the riders posed to her.

Wookster

Personally knowing it was a blind and shared corner I’d not have gone around it at any speed. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

swavis

Too fast and always expect the unexpected. It is after all primarily a walkers trail.
    Although it is a cracker on the bike and should be familiar from this months front cover 😉

poah
    Free Member

oo fast and always expect the unexpected. It is after all a trail.
    Although it is a cracker on the bike and should be familiar from this months front cover

FTFY

tjagain

Poah – I would have slowed more than that but I don’t see much wrong with the pass at 3mins+ I tend to slow to walking pace in that sort of circumstance – practice ” polite cycling”

dakuan
    Free Member

Ah we’ve all done it! I’d be worried that the encounter at 8mins is the sort of thing that causes the attitude exhibted at 3mins

NZCol

Bit naughty on that bit of track, would have given them a bit of a fright when they appeared round the corner that quickly. I ride that bit quite frequently and am very careful having been hit by a rider coming down it when I was running ! So , you’re guiding so should be advance sweeping to ensure it’s clear and safe. It’s a reasonably busy route.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Near miss with hikers – unlucky or irresponsible?’ is closed to new replies.