Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Near miss top trumps – car almost rolls over me!
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Inspired by all these stories of near misses on our streets I thought I’d share a recent one with you.

Sunday morning ride, 40mph limit country roads, pretty wide, good tarmac, Ashdown forest in Kent, Chuck Hatch Rd if you’re interested.

Me and another rider then gap to 3 more riders 50 yards ahead.

Red hatchback (I think) driving at speed, overtakes us then the riders ahead on a sweeping right hand corner.

Oncoming traffic causes red hatchback to brake, skid and cut in on riders up ahead (they were ok).

Car coming the other way gets a tank slap on and before I know it is on 2 wheels leaning over towards me and I know it’s going to topple…

…time stood still long enough to calculate that I had no where to go and that the car would do about one and a quarter revolutions before it steamrollered me.

Bless the driver for then controlling the vehicle and driving it into the verge/bank. I stopped for a while to chat to him as we’d both shared a pretty frighting experience. He was very calm and thanked me for taking the time to talk to him. It was a good thing that came out of a bad situation.

Red hatchback carried on.

Shudder!

Not enjoyed being on the road since.

retro83
    Free Member

kinell! Sounds like a lucky escape.

Red hatchback carried on.

What a tosspot.

benp1

Blimey

Shame you didn’t have a gopro, would be a well-watched-youtube-video!

Bazz

That road has probably seen more than it’s fair share of fatalaties than most roads, i know it well, oh and just to be pedantic (this is STW afterall) i’m pretty sure it’s East Sussex.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I think you’re right Bazz. It’s a pity because the views are so lovely, the tarmac is perfect and there are some good hills.
    Was my favourite route, now I just see it as a dark place I never want to go near again.
    Bastards!

Bazz

There are plenty of back roads over the forest to explore, easy to stay off of the silly fast ones.

D0NK

Shame you didn’t have a gopro, would be a well-watched-youtube-video!

bloody helmet cammers! always looking for trouble.

Glad you’re ok, sounds bloody terrifying.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Sounds like you were very lucky! I’d do the lottery this weekend if I were you 🙂

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Funny thing is that I decided to lay off the road riding for a while and dig out my mtb for a safer play…

…you can guess what’s coming can’t you?

…crash landed a table top and broke a rib last Sunday!

Can’t say I mind that much; I’m ok with hurting myself through my own stupidity, just can’t abide having to suffer the consequences of others impatience.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Near miss top trumps – car almost rolls over me!’ is closed to new replies.