Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • NE England trail conditions post Ciara/Dennis
  • legolam
    Free Member

I have a last minute unexpected day off work tomorrow and can’t decide if I should brave the weather and get out on my poor lonely MTB or just catch up on some much needed sleep…

Does anyone have any info on conditions around Kielder/Hamsterley/Guisborough/Reeth? Realistically I can only travel around an hour from Newcastle otherwise there won’t be time to pick up the toddler from nursery.

teethgrinder

Chopwell? It’ll be wet.

legolam
    Free Member

Chopwell’s always wet… even at the height of summer!

jonba
    Free Member

Hamsterley holds up well. I once road chopwell in the dry during that heatwave the year before last. Kielder drains well but it always rains.

Not sure about the other two. I’d go to Hamsterley. Man made main stuff is sheltered and drain. Off piste is likely to be muddy.

Jordan

I’m only a few miles from Reeth. Based on what I’m seeing around here I would expect washed out ruts and chanels on any stony/gravely tracks.

tomd
    Free Member

We got an absolute soaking in Guisborough on Saturday and Sunday. Stuff is going to be filthy wet and there were quite a few wintery snow showers yesterday to top it up.

I’d probably be thinking Hamsterly or Kielder if I was heading from Newcastle and wanted a trail ride.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Snow at Kielder ..still very very windy ..

legolam
    Free Member

It’s horizontal snowing here now… not sure I can be bothered with going out 😭 someone please tell me to (wo)man up and that it’s going to be lovely at Hamsterley?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Naaaah ..good book & armchair day today ..

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Hamsterley is always ok on the red/black tracks.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Even the F.C.’s trail maintenance ranger & the bike shop owner ( Kielder)..aren’t that daft ( mind you they will be riding ..in Portugal!)

Kahurangi

Hamsterley on-piste is pretty good all-weather (though I always skip Root 666). No idea about damage though, I’d expect there to be a few trees down around the place.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Beg to differ regarding Hamsterley ..I’ve come a real cropper on frozen tracks ( transmission) in the past

legolam
    Free Member

I bought a new bike in July and I’ve literally been out on it 7 times. I feel sad for the bike

legolam
    Free Member

Just spoke to the FC warden at Hamsterley. Snow and ice everywhere, roads passable and he wasn’t aware of any trees down blocking trails. Given the ice and how out of practice I am, think I’m gonna take hodgynd’s advice and have a book and armchair day instead! Thanks all for the advice

Kahurangi

frozen tracks ( transmission)

yeah, I always forget how icy that hill and hillside is 🤣 amazing little micro-climate on K-line and Triple Tranny.

Sensible/safe thing is definitely to stay at home 👍 better than messing with ice when you’re out on your tod

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘NE England trail conditions post Ciara/Dennis’ is closed to new replies.