• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Alex.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • NBD – Yellow Peril/Big Bird :)
  • Alex

Nukeproof Scout 290

Nukeproof Scout 290

Nukeproof Scout 290

First non steel HT in about 10 years. Had a few Cotic’s and – lastly – a MK2 Nordest Bardino (from which all the parts for this build came from). Always liked the look of the Scout’s, and this new MK3 seemed worth a punt. I’ll decide if I prefer this or the Bardino and keep just 1.

Not totally sure about the ‘Jail Tats’ frame protection kit, but it was sat in a drawer for ages so I thought I’d give it a go. That Lyrik has a 140mm air shaft in it now (was 160 on Bardino) and the whole thing weights wrong side of 30lbs mostly due to 2.6 tyres, 35mm rimmed wheels and inserts. Does mean I can run 13/12 PSI.

First ride was good fun, even in the rain. The guy from YT ‘Hardtail Party’ whose reviews I really rate didn’t think the frame was very radical. A kind of good at most things, not great at any. Perfect for me then, as it’s going to spend most of it’s time on 2/3 hour rides in the FoD and thereabout and the rest slogging through winter in mud of a thousand shades.

Frame is pretty nicely finished for £500. Paint – like a lot of NPs – is pretty thin. Do love the way frame comes with headset fitted, all the cable guides etc in the box.

Didn’t feel that much more harsh than my steel HTs. One ride in tho, but I’m guessing the 2.6 tyres at low pressures make most of the difference.

weeksy

Yellow NPs look awesome !!!!

Alex

Oh, could have had a L or XL at my height of 178cm. I went L because I wanted to run a 210m dropper. Reach and stack are very similar to Bardino so it feels a good size.  Steep angle isn’t that steep but seemed to climb really well (but coming off FS, HT’s always seem to climb well!)

Build is:

290 frame – L
    Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate (140mm)
    Ibis 935 wheels – Alloy 35mm internal diameter, microspline hub
    Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.6 orange stripe (F) and Hans Damf 2.6 blue stripe ®
    Shimano SLX transmission – 12 speed
    Shimano SLX brakes – 2 pot/180mm rotors
    Spank 780mmk Vibrocore bars (big fan of these) and Spank oozy 50mm stem
    One up chain retention device
    One up 210mm post, shimano lever
    Fabric spoon saddle
    Ergon GA3 grips
    Nukeproof headset

Todays task is give it a wash, add some cable/frame protection and find a mudguard!

Alex

If I was being entirely honest @weeksy the colour was the thing that made me decide I was going to buy one. I now have 3 NPs (Giga and a Digger) and I think they are brilliant value for money, great bikes to ride.

rootes1

Nice!

rstephenson
    Free Member

Nice, looks great. What inserts are you running btw? Any how do you rate them.? Lost down an insert shaped hole atm…

Alex

@rstephenson I run RIMPACT on all my bikes. Good people to deal with, decent products at a fair price (they’ve gone up a bit lately but then so has everything). I don’t bother with the ‘Pro’ versions.

On my FS they’ve survived a few weeks battering on very rocky trails. Not had to replace one yet.

VanHalen

Does mean I can run 13/12 PSI.

crikey! you wont go around many corners with those pressures. not fast anyway! i always have to run my rear tyre pretty hard on the HT – i hate the squirmy vagueness!

Lovely bike though!

Alex

mmm not sure about that. A few of us run very low pressures with inserts. Out in Spain the guides were horrified when my mate was running similar on the very rocky trails. He’s quick as well and had zero issues.

I read somewhere/maybe saw it on YT that one of the Hardline riders reckoned a good insert was work ’15-20′ psi which let him run his tyres pretty low even on that insane trail.

Still I liked plus tyres when they were a thing….

rstephenson
    Free Member

Great, thanks. I’ve just put a tannus tubeless in the rear so we’ll see how that goes but rimpact were going to be my next option.

kayak23

Nice! 👌

I had a Mega that colour. I had to make it not that colour eventually.
    Looks mint on that frame though.

hooli

That’s lovely!

momo

Really nice 👌

Are you using supertrail tyres?

Alex

@kayak23 I did think the frame kit might tone the yellow down a bit! Not sure it has tho.

Oh while I remember, that’s a 32T Burgtec Oval chainring on there. My mate who built had to space out the BB a bit make sure the chainring cleared the chainstay. And that’s with a boost chainset.  Chainline tho is pretty good now.

I’m also inordinately pleased I managed to revive those nano’s from the dead with the service kit from superstar. £15 for both pedals, all. bits included, good as new now.

Alex

Are you using supertrail tyres?

@momo
    I get very confused by Schwalbe’s system of naming casings/tread type etc. Front is an Adix soft, rear is an Adix Speed.  They are a probably 18 months old, so not sure what they relate to if buying new.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.