Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • NBD (not a road bike!)
  • sharkattack

Sorry gravel posse, I only have pictures of a mountain bike.

I’ve been hovering over a 141 or a Bird Aether 9 for months now but the other day I received an email with a discount code which tipped me over the edge. I’ve always loved the look of this particular model and I was itching to sample the Swedish Gold. I also wanted to get back onto a bike that fits properly. This comes up a touch shorter than my Geometron did but a fair bit longer than the Norco I picked up during lockdown so it should be a nice place to sit.

I’m very happy with it.

It comes with a Magic Mary/Hans Dampf combo but I’ve fitted my fast tyres because my first mission is to cover some miles and get my legs back. My fitness is rock bottom after a couple of rough years and when I ride now I can barely turn the cranks over.

I did have to retape the rear wheel as it had come loose and was flapping around inside the tyre. Also, whoever fitted my rotor bolts got carried away…

Luckily this came out easily with some mole grips.

It’s nice to have some frame protection but it’s already lifted in spots so it’ll be usless after a few wet rides.

Does anyone know what kind of glue or double sided tape you can use to fit these things permanently?

Oh, and I just removed the brakes as I have some Hope’s to use. Does anyone want any brand new, unused Magura MT5’s?

I’m looking forward to getting out after work and eventually tagging along with some group rides and learning some new routes.

singlespeedstu

No weeds/moss/long grass/ pointing needing doing.
    I’m out.😉

sharkattack

I’m out.😉

The garage is an absolute tip though. It’s on my to do list.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fazzini

All purpose filler on the ‘bike station’ though! 😱 What the hell is wrong with you man?? 😉😉

sharkattack

Oh there’s a story behind the filler. The wife has been having her first attempts at some DIY and she bought that to bury the evidence.

fazzini

bury the evidence.

Comments like that after buying a new bike and she’ll be burying you 🤣

hairyscary

Nice bike 😀

I like mine, pedals well, climbs well, descends well and feels really balanced. It’s just a wee bit chunky.
    People say that setting up the fork is difficult. Fortunately I’m the same weight as a guy who reviewed them on Pinkbike so I just went with his settings and it worked out well for me.

superstu
    Free Member

Ooof that looks good. Brother is interested in one too so ride impressions in due course would be welcome.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

That’s a bit nice
    If I was nit picking I would point out that the red text on the tyres stands out a bit.
    But I won’t

Very nice!

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Personally I’d get shorter bolts for the vice or chop them down,finished off with some nice dome head nuts.🤠

halifaxpete

Lovely! My standard 141’s ace but I’d love a Ohlins one for added plushness/awesome JPS-esque colour scheme.

reeksy

Oooh, I like that. Will look awesome with a set of curly bars!

I love that you bought a bike with a colour scheme to match your Maxxis tyres. And I would be all over the MT5s if you were in the same country as me.

But how on earth did someone allow that brake rotor to leave the shop like that!!!

… don’t you have a man to put the lids back on your aerosol cans? That’s a downright disgrace.

kimbers

That’s a very nice looking bike!
    Top marks for colour coordination

honourablegeorge

Needs a yellow drink instead of red.

Looks ace, they’re incredible value

kayak23

Lovely. 😍

Rubber_Buccaneer

How much would you like for the MT5s @sharkattack ?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

The perfect looking MTB doesn’t exis….

That has me completely rethinking my bike decisions. Absolutely lovely thing.

weeksy

The Ohlins 141 really is a stunning stunning thing. I’m sooooo looking forward to trying one soon. The boy ended up with the pastel green version, but we’d both have preferred the Ohlins for sure lol.

Rotor bolt is a bit disappointing though for sure.

sharkattack

The perfect looking MTB doesn’t exis….

Thanks. Even the wife likes it and has nicknamed it the Cobra Kai bike because of the colours

I’ve never even seen a Privateer close up I thought it would be a bit chunky and hefty but it’s quite nice in the flesh.

… don’t you have a man to put the lids back on your aerosol cans? That’s a downright disgrace.

Aerosol lids are used for paint, glue, rust convertor, degreasing small parts in etc…

How much would you like for the MT5s @sharkattack ?

Errr, not sure. £150 for the pair including 203/180 rotors? Not bedded in or even rolled down the street yet. I’ll get some pics and advertise them properly tonight.

Rotor bolt is a bit disappointing though for sure.

It could have been worse. The box was damaged where something had bashed up against it right where the rear derailleur is. Everything looks straight so far but I haven’t tried to index the gears yet.

matt_outandabout

Oh yes, that looks fun.

The garage is an absolute tip though. It’s on my to do list.

You and I have very different definitions of ‘tip’.
    I’m impressed you keep your saw cardboard sleeves.

filks

That is VERY nice! Looks awesome 😎

sharkattack

I like mine, pedals well, climbs well, descends well and feels really balanced. It’s just a wee bit chunky.

That’s good to hear. I need all the help I can get going up and along but our local trails are farily chunky so I didn’t want anything too light and fragile.

Hopefully, when I get fit I can get back to the stuff I used to enjoy which is seeking out big hucks and dirty booters. We went to Wharny a couple of weeks ago which is packed with features but I couldn’t really look at them as my legs we were wiped out from riding back up!

hooli

That is a lovely looking bike and about the only thing that has me tempted to part with my cash at the moment.

Very disappointing about the bolt, makes you question the QC and how the rest of the bike was assembled.

timber

I aspire to my garage being that sort of tip. Still cluttered with house renovation crud, it’s 3D Tetris 😂

Nice bike, liked that frame silhouette since the Turner bikes.

sharkattack

Honestly if I did a 180 with the camera you’d just see this…

I totally lost control of it during the ‘first child, Covid, chest infection, start nursery, Covid, chronic tonsillitis, Covid’ period that we’ve been through.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very arousing.

Dissector on the front seems a bold choice for the UK in February tho?

sharkattack

Probably but I’m just planning to pump them up fairly hard and do some miles until my legs come back online. I’ll switch them as soon as we make plans to go somewhere muddy.

sharkattack

I just found this on the floor of my office where I unpacked the bike yesterday.

In 20 years of building my own bikes I’ve never broken one of those bolts. I wonder if it was faulty or if someone in Taiwan just whizzed it to death with a power tool.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m just planning to pump them up fairly hard and do some miles until my legs come back online

Sounds like a gravel bike would have been just the ticket

😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.