Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • NBD – Cannondale Topstone 4 Gravel bike
  • dirkpitt74

So I took delivery of my gravel bike yesterday.
    I’ve been torn between building my own, Sonder Camino AL or a super cheap Voodoo……

Building was going to cost me around £800 for a 1x set up with Microshift, the Voodoo’s only came in 2x and the Camino was SRAM (I like Shimano after various ‘cheap’ SRAM set ups) unless I wanted to spend out for the GRX version.

I noticed the Topstone whilst browsing Star Cycles where it was £879 – 1×10 Microshift. Evans had it for £760 so I got Start to pricematch.

It arrived yesterday – and on first impression it looks pretty decent.
    Will mainly be used for commuting.

Big box, tiny dog!

It’s blue!

Martyn Ashton would approve

The much talked about and rated Microshift

Large range 10 speed 11-48

I’ve got a dropper in the spares box that will fit and a Shimano Pro universal remote.

The cable calipers are Promax which I’ll swap out for something better – I have a Hope V-Twin kicking around that I bought on a whim a while back.

Sorry for the crap pictures but the Mr’s wanted the giant box out of the conservatory lol

eyestwice
    Free Member

I took delivery of mine on Tuesday, have been out for a couple of shakedowns.

I’m really happy with it. The brakes aren’t great but a set of TRP Spyres are cheap enough if I really can’t get on with them.

It’s the first time I’ve owned any bike other than a BMX or mountain bike. It’s for training on in the Peak District and I reckon it’s going to be ideal.

I’ve already gone full pelt into a drainage channel. How the wheel/fork/headtube survived is beyond me but encouraging.

Enjoy!

eyestwice
    Free Member

Also, it’s back up to full price now at Evans. I paid £765 on Saturday and it’s showing as £1100 again now.

Just in time for payday, I guess…

breninbeener

What is the chainset? A friwnd was looking at one, but thought they may need a lower over all set of ratios.

Does anyone know its BCD and what will fit?

Thanks

Ian

dirkpitt74

I think it’s 104 – haven’t got a decent rule or calipers to hand at the moment.

breninbeener

@dirkpitt74 thank you. My friend is some distance away so im helping at a distance.

Ian

dirkpitt74

@breninbeener it’s 104bcd:
    bcd

kuman
    Free Member

Great bike for the money, you will enjoy it. I bought it for £899 two years ago to give gravel riding a try. It has now been replaced by Camino Ti 🙂
    Brakes are terrible though. I replaced calipers with TRP Spyre.
    Enjoy!

dirkpitt74

@kuman thanks, will see how the brakes go.
    I have a Hope V-Twin I can use or might go Juin-Tech cable/hydraulic calipers.

breninbeener

@dirkpitt74 thats great thanks.

Is it symmetrical 4 bolt pattern or assymetric (ie trying to find what spec chainring would fit!)

Ian

dirkpitt74

@breninbeener pretty sure it’s symmetrical.

dirkpitt74

Took it out for a spin yesterday.

Brakes don’t feel too bad – obviously being single sided they rub a bit, but will do for the time being.
    I haven’t ridden a bike without suspension since the 90’s…….. I’d forgotten how jarring it can be lol.
    Spent most of the time riding on the hoods – felt odd using the drops, but probably more to do with it being massively unfamiliar as this is my first drop bar bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spent most of the time riding on the hoods – felt odd using the drops, but probably more to do with it being massively unfamiliar as this is my first drop bar bike.

I think most people probably do that. It’s doesn’t really confer much of an advantage to be in the drops 90% of the time so don’t sweat it. What you should do is actively switch positions to make the most of them. On the tops for steep climbs, hoods for just cruising, drops for descending. The more you move around the less fatigued you get. They’re useful in group rides as when you’re on the front, being in the drops goes a way to offsetting the extra wind resistance.

dirkpitt74

Thanks @thisisnotaspoon – will remember to change positions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.