Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Navigation – what do you do
  • Bez

I’ve tried Komoot a few times, I just can’t make it work anything like how I want to. It’s tolerable for walking IME but hopeless for any sort of cycling. YMMV.

sadexpunk

seems easier to plot a route for me now than viewranger….. just downloaded that for comparison but cant get it to follow bends of roads or owt when im plotting, everythings ‘as the crow flies’.

ill keep playing with them both….

cobrakai

I use a variety to be fair.

Garmin, komoot, cycle.travel, viewranger.

Once I’ve made the route I want i download the gpx and save it in garmin for turn by turn nav on my fenix.

Also save it on OS maps as a back up.

By exporting the routes via email you can also have a folder with all your previous routes saved there.

sadexpunk

think im struggling actually make a route tho. firstly tried in komoot doing a local ride, but the numbered waymarks change and when i try to put in the next one it sometimes shoots off in a direction i dont want to go. this is maybe cos i selected ’round trip’ and so with every waymark it then tries to ‘finish’ it and send me back. if i dont select round trip i cant finish where i started.

viewranger just puts a direct red line from a to b and takes no account of the turns in the routes.

i know its gonna be user error, but some advice on how to do this a little easier would be welcome 🙂

cheers

stevextc
    Free Member

starting to make a bit of progress with it, but i find it hard to change things if it plots in the direction i dont want it to. either that or it plots the waymarks in the wrong order….

Plot start and end first then bung in way points, then move them as you like.
    It’s a bit of an acquired skill and sometimes it needs a massive forcing but overall it’s good once you get used to planning routes.

sadexpunk

thanks, ill have a play with it. although plotting start and end first is the same as plotting a round trip isnt it?

crazy-legs

I think it’s particularly bad if you use the OS maps, as it really is identical to a 1:50k A road. I originally assumed that this was why they never picked it up in testing (because they’re not based in the UK), but my revised theory is that Garmin just don’t do any real world testing.

Yeah, the magenta route line is near enough the same colour in OS Maps and Garmin’s own maps as big A-roads / motorways.
    The blue line showing where you’ve already been isn’t far off the colour they use for water either.

A bright red or orange for “route to follow” and a better demarcation between blue water and blue “where I’ve been” would be nice.

I tend to follow routes drawn on Strava which seems to result in a far less crashy Garmin. It’s noticeable that routes planned on RWGPS are much more prone to crashing the Garmin – maybe they overload it with waypoints or something, not sure.

Flaperon

You could try changing your settings from “Follow Course” to “Use Map”. It makes route calculation longer but the magenta line drawn on the screen is about 3 times wider and has a white border.

Or buy a Wahoo, which is what I did.

andykirk
    Free Member

Komoot and an old phone with a Quadlock for me. Works great for on and off-road.

I can’t understand it when I see comments saying Komoot is hard to work, I found it super simple and intuitive. I did try Strava for route plotting, now THAT was tough. I’ll maybe get a Wahoo one day if I feel flush.

DezB
    Free Member

Used my Explore with GBOpenmaps today – first time with a Garmin I’ve managed to follow a whole course with no annoying freezes or ‘Ready to Navigate’ appearing. Was a breeze and the Open maps colour/layout excellent.
    I posted details on other Computer for biking type thread.
    (Route was created in Tracklogs and saved to GPS)

Blackflag
    Free Member

The trick with Komoot is to set the start of your route then plot points along the route you wish to take using “new end point” each time. It then sticks with where you tell it you want to go rather than trying to find a route for you that you may not want.

Sadexpunk – If you PM me your komoot user name I can connect with you and you can access my peaks routes.

antigee

stgeorge
    I use Ride with GPS, voice cues, connected to mini bluetooth speaker mounted on rear of steerer.

ridewithgps app’ plotting and editing seems much improved of late though i do pay so not sure what get for free…I’ve found with my Samsung volume turned up I can hear the directions with phone in back pocket clearly enough this is much simpler than trying to get my lezyne gps unit to connect to my phone reliably…works well when it works but that isn’t often

sadexpunk

Sadexpunk – If you PM me your komoot user name I can connect with you and you can access my peaks routes.

pm sent…..

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Navigation – what do you do’ is closed to new replies.