Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Naughty Northumbrian
  • kimbers

Whos in?

Not done it before, I hear its a big loop

good food wagons?

sunshine would be nice, but I might get a magic mary just in case!

seems SH massive is gonna be there

pothead
    Free Member

Can’t wait, if its wet it will be absolute carnage, expect steep, rocky rooty and the transitions are a bit of a slog. I don’t usually race but I’ve done all of the Naughty Northumbrians, although mainly because of the fact it’s out of bounds outside of the race

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’ll be there…
    Done it before and enjoyed it, but making up the numbers not going to place highly!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m in, **** dreading it, not been out this year apart from a bad day at Inners, last time was horrific in the heat and yes, there’s a pizza wagon serving stages 2 and 3 but get there early or you’re getting nothing (actually that’s not true, I got a slice in practice but had to miss stage 4 and on race day had to carry it to the start of 4). Don’t for Christ’s sake do what I did and partake of the loony juice the night before then spend till midday fumbling with the bike trying to get it trackworthy, get out as early as possible, take it easy and if you need to ask for an early start for race day. Oh and it’s a bastard of a pedal to the first stage, then double back for a bigger bastard to the second before doing the first stage climb again for the fifth. Take sugar. Either you or someone else will be grateful. Take a pump, likewise. It’s hellish but everyone is suffering and from what I saw we all look out for everyone else. Then when you finish and its by with you can’t wait for it again.

Oh, I did it on my Trailstar last time. That’s an original 26″ with 70 deg HA, 90mm stem and 130mm Revs. It was a bloody riot, if you’re happy with technical and knowing when it’s safer to just let go of the brakes you’ll be fine.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Done twice, sadly not fit enough this year but can’t wait to train up and try again next.

Was so glad when they left out a bucket of sugar / hydration supplements a few years bk at the top of one of the climbs. Unknown brand – took a look at the ingredients. Never forget the Scottish accent shouting in my direction something along the line of… dooont worry ya southern fairy, it’s gluten free and vegan 😂😂

Great fun in the sun, great practice in the rain. Off camber roots, no pressure…

militantmandy
    Free Member

I’m doing it. I’ve heard it compared in difficulty to The Golfie, so I’m hoping that means I’ll be able to mince round. Kind of depends on my finger which I exploded at Tweedlove King and Queen a week or so ago. Hopefully it’ll be ok.

Drac

I’m off this year. Might pop along for a beer.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m off this year. Might pop along for a beer.

As long as you’re not working!

scuttler

Unknown brand – took a look at the ingredients. Never forget the Scottish accent shouting in my direction something along the line of… dooont worry ya southern fairy, it’s gluten free and vegan 😂😂

properlol

Drac

As long as you’re not working!

😂

GEDA
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9O6_WLmZ4&feature=youtu.be

Lovin the broad coquetdale voice ower. miss the hills.

GEDA
    Free Member

Drac

Geda that’s Jean from the Rose and Thistle.

GEDA
    Free Member

Ah. You also have the local knowledge. Must be pleased not get some other customers than pool players.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Okay so I’ve committed, had a wobble but sod it.

I’ll be the one on the Specialized Pitch driving a knackered Citroen C8 trying not to get too mullered* to make it to practice at a sensible time. Feel free to say hi, I’m not as obnoxious in real life.

*I had three pints last time I turned up (off my night shifts) but two were rocket fuel and did not result in good times in the morning. Having to half build a bike as per usual didn’t help either.

riklegge

I’ll be there, although I’m a bit apprehensive. Last time I tried was the first year, and I found the steep fresh cut tracks and wet conditions hard to deal with.

I’m hoping I’ve got better since then, although I could have done with more bike time in the last few weeks.

teethgrinder

Last race I did (STW Weekender 2011) I got smashed on massive 7.4% cider both nights and stayed up until 0500.

I don’t race anymore.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m hoping I’ve got better since then, although I could have done with more bike time in the last few years.

FTFM

I did it on a hardtail last time. It’ll be fine.

Drac

Must be pleased not get some other customers than pool players.

It gets a steady little trade these days.

rhyswainwright

I’ve found myself free this weekend but failed to bag an entry on time.

If anyone decides they can’t go give me shout and I’ll buy your entry?!

StuF

How does the course compare to ardRock in terms of difficulty? Not going this year but maybe next year

nickc

@rhyswainwright, I’ve a place you can have, sent you a PM

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I will now be on my tod this weekend…
    Horribly unfit and slow, but feel free to say hi and share the pain/beer… @squirrelking

Blue STW favorite (Octavia) and red transition sentinel

pothead
    Free Member

How does the course compare to ardRock in terms of difficulty?

I talked a couple of lads into entering the last NN, they’d both completed ard rock several times and expected similar, they both bailed after 5 stages on the practice day and didn’t start the race

kimbers

Well that was tough!

After a wekks family camping I was v tired when I arrived late on Friday one beer then asleep (earplugs ftw)

Saturday was hot!, We didn’t start out until nearly 11 and big queues in the sun at some stages turned it into a looong day. I was struggling by the end due to not enough food (£7 for pizza slice at the feed station?) & too much sun.

Early start on Saturday (845), S1 was ok, S2 I made it down safely, s3 crashed twice, 4 was great 5 was good but another crash, 6 my chain dropped and got jammed and took me ages to untangle, which is a shame as S6 was loamy goodness.

Great race some proper tough stages but feel I have unfinished business, I think I’ll be back again, hopefully fitter & faster!

militantmandy
    Free Member

Practice day was brutal. So hot! Discovered I am totally incapable of riding that loose rock stuff. Probably lost 2+ minutes on that stage along. Stage 3 was tricky and I had a few half crashes. The rest was pretty much fun, although I was glacially slow. Happy just to have got round considering I’ve hardly ridden for a month and my head is firmly up my arse. Would do it again though…..I think.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Sounds like I was right to pull out. See you guys next year.

riklegge

I had a great time. Saturday was indeed very hot, it was a bit of a struggle to get round.

Sunday temperatures were much better. I was a bit apprehensive about stage 2, the steep, very loose rocks were beyond my skills. The other stages were all great though, especially 4 and 5.

I wasn’t quick, but my aim was to finish so I’m pretty happy. I’m tempted by next year, but would definitely want to be fitter and to practice scree riding.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Naughty Northumbrian’ is closed to new replies.