Naughty Froome?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 226 total)
  • Naughty Froome?
  • Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

because it is used to control weight.

Say what? Please explain.

Klunk

So are you saying Salbutamolm is a masking agent?

Wada do

Diuretics and masking agents
    If a Substance or Method is not defined in this list, please verify with your Anti-Doping Organization.

The following diuretics and masking agents are prohibited, as are other substances with a similar chemical structure or similar biological effect(s).

Including, but not limited to:

Desmopressin; probenecid; plasma expanders, e.g. glycerol and intravenous administration of albumin, dextran, hydroxyethyl starch and mannitol.
    Acetazolamide; amiloride; bumetanide; canrenone; chlortalidone; etacrynic acid; furosemide; indapamide; metolazone; spironolactone; thiazides, e.g. bendroflumethiazide, chlorothiazide and hydrochlorothiazide; triamterene and vaptans, e.g. tolvaptan.

Except:

Drospirenone; pamabrom; and ophthalmic use of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (e.g. dorzolamide, brinzolamide).
    Local administration of felypressin in dental anaesthesia.

The detection in an Athlete’s Sample at all times or In-Competition, as applicable, of any quantity of the following substances subject to threshold limits: formoterol, salbutamol, cathine, ephedrine, methylephedrine and pseudoephedrine, in conjunction with a diuretic or masking agent, will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete has an approved Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) for that substance in addition to the one granted for the diuretic or masking agent.

atlaz

It does have an affect, it is just his fanbois who wish to ignore it.

lmgtfy

Nice selective quoting. Do you work hard to be such a massive **** or is it natural? What I said, as if you don’t know, was that if we believe what he says and he was using only the puffer, it’d have no real effect. Taken in tablet form it’s different as we already know.

atlaz

Klunk – that’s not what they say in your quote though. What it says that IF there is a masking agent present in the test, ANY volume of salbutamol will be considered an AAF not just exceeding the 1000 ng/ml limit unless they have a TUE for both salbutamol and the masking agent.

So they’re not saying it’s a masking agent.

^ wot he said

elliott-20

Cock, now will this mean I will have to hand back my Strava KOMs because I is an asthmatic sand regularly ‘puff’ before hitting the trails?

Klunk

Klunk – that’s not what they say in your quote though. What it says that IF there is a masking agent present in the test, ANY volume of salbutamol will be considered an AAF not just exceeding the 1000 ng/ml limit unless they have a TUE for both salbutamol and the masking agent.

So they’re not saying it’s a masking agent.

So you have a TUE for the masking agent and not salbutamol ?

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Cock, now will this mean I will have to hand back my Strava KOMs because I is an asthmatic sand regularly ‘puff’ before hitting the trails?

Perhaps Strava can add a ‘drug cheat’ section as well as age-groups.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Live chat on this about to kick off:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2017/dec/14/chris-froome-failed-drug-test-live-webchat

Ahem – I was a bit late and some of you lot are there already… 🙂

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

This is just like everyone was with Armstrong before that all came out in the wash. Just watching docus about sky makes me think the management have that same ruthless determination as Armstrong and everything that went along with that.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I think it’s telling (in a bad way for Sky) that it seems to be the more casual/less-informed fans who are taking this the worst.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Thats true to some extent ^^

But I hardly think the Media that is SKY have a 17yr old intern checking out STW threads for potential slanderous remarks and innuendos.

They might though eh.. 😆

If the Disney deal goes through, I really can’t see Mickey Mouse riding a bike up the Ventoux, Goofy Yes, yes I can see a similarity..

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

This is just like everyone was with Armstrong before that all came out in the wash.

Not quite. The behaviour on the road is pretty different.

atlaz

So you have a TUE for the masking agent and not salbutamol ?

The masking agent could, I suppose, have a genuine use so it’s possible to get a TUE for it. I would imagine then that the concern is if you have a diuretic or other masking agent in your sample as well as a drug permissible in specific doses that you might be exceeding the dose then using the diuretic/whatever to make it appear you’re at a lower level of that drug than you are. Which is why, then, if you have a masking agent TUE and salbutamol present in your sample that you’d also need a TUE for salbutamol.

Seems a bit labyrinthine but makes sense.

Is there an assumption here that pro sports are clean?

What quite is the news?

Any dodgy SPOTY betting going on at the same time 😉

ferrals

Given that this would have stayed private if not for the guardian/le monde, anyone have any feeling for how many other adverse analytical findings there are that get explained and dismissed and nver brough to the publics attention?

atlaz

Given that this would have stayed private if not for the guardian/le monde, anyone have any feeling for how many other adverse analytical findings there are that get explained and dismissed and nver brough to the publics attention?

Its a fair question. It’d be nice for the UCI and anti-doping agencies to publish anonymised stats for this sort of thing but I have a feeling all it would do is generate allegations of coverups and protecting Team Sky/French teams/whatever the bete noir of the reader is.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

It’d be very useful to have that info, agreed.

taxi25

The thing is it should have stayed private untill the investigations had run their course. Le Monde/ Guardian aren’t concerned about the public interest only their own.
    I know it’s fun for all the forum “experts” to debate and criticise, but as an Ashmatic I’d trade all the salbutimol in the world for healthy working lungs, pretty sure Froome would do the same.

Haze

as an Ashmatic I’d trade all the salbutimol in the world for healthy working lungs

Absolutely!

nerd

I know it’s fun for all the forum “experts” to debate and criticise, but as an Ashmatic I’d trade all the salbutimol in the world for healthy working lungs, pretty sure Froome would do the same

You’re assuming that Froome actually *is* an asthmatic. It’s not mentioned in his autobiography.

ferrals

taxi25 – Member

The thing is it should have stayed private untill the investigations had run their course. Le Monde/ Guardian aren’t concerned about the public interest only their own.

Completely agree, its their job to sell papers / generate clicks

as an Ashmatic

Asthma brought on by 40 Lambert and Butler a day?? 😆

taxi25

Katusha-Alpecin rider Martin, 32, suggested other cyclists would have been suspended immediately.

Tony Martin might be a great cyclist, but perhaps he should read the rule book !!!!

Tony Martin ain’t happy

From the article;

“I am totally angry,” said Martin.

Am I the only one who read that and said it out loud in the voice of Vicky Pollard?

aP

If you’ve ever seen an interview with Froome after a hard climbing stage you’ll hear that little cough that he does constantly. That’s pretty good evidence of his asthma for me.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

That’s pretty good evidence of his asthma for me.

I don’t think there’s any dispute over him having asthma.

Am I the only one who read that and said it out loud in the voice of Vicky Pollard?

Not anymore 🙂

taxi25

I don’t think there’s any dispute over him having asthma.

I’m not so sure.

You’re assuming that Froome actually *is* an asthmatic. It’s not mentioned in his autobiography.

hammerite

As far as things go I doubt writing about asthma is likely to sell any books. It’s not particularly interesting. About 9% of the public have asthma and about 20% of athletes – why would he need to write about it?

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

aP – Member
    If you’ve ever seen an interview with Froome after a hard climbing stage you’ll hear that little cough that he does constantly. That’s pretty good evidence of his asthma for me.

There speaks a man who has never raced a hill climb or mountain stage race. I have no trace of asthma at all but cough my lungs out after a decent hill effort.

Premier Icon twistedpencil
    Subscriber

David, I probably agree wholeheartedly, though never competed at a high level, 2(5 alright I’m not good) minutes of qualifying for the mega has me in bits coughing and spluttering for a good while after crossing the finish line. Exercise effs you up.

Anyway surely Sky have Calpol on the team bus for all the little warriors.

jonnyboi

About 9% of the public have asthma and about 20% 99% of athletes professional cyclists

FTFY

joeydeacon

As someone else pointed out on here..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkBT13_ELCM[/video]

“It’s certainly a much better day today than yesterday”
    “It’s great to bounce back after difficult day (yesterday)”
    “I felt quite within myself today”
    100% fit and healthy today? “Yeah – I felt fine today”

Not the words of someone who had was suffering that badly he had to take an excessive amount of (or go right up to the limit on) his asthma drugs..

Premier Icon Richie_B
    Subscriber

About 9% of the public have diagnosed asthma and about 99% of athletes professional cyclists

FTFY

Premier Icon robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

He isn’t going to turn around to the media and say ‘you know what one more attack and I’m finished – I just cant keep up with those guys anymore’ is he. He says what he needs to portray the right message to his rivals. Its all a game as far as the media interviews go.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

Richie_B – Member

About 9% of the public [who are on the whole untested] have diagnosed exercise induced asthma and about 99% of athletes people who actually get tested and exert themselves to the level of being symptomatic professional cyclists

FTFY

Ftfy. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just basic maths, test a small sample of a large diverse population and you’ll get a very different result than by testing all of a small very select population.

brakes

He says what he needs to portray the right message to his rivals

exactly. Froome often tells a different story after a race is completed, but never shows any suffering in interview, even if he’s crashed or blown up.

scotroutes

Ftfy. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just basic maths, test a small sample of a large diverse population and you’ll get a very different result than by testing all of a small very select population.

If the majority of a group, when tested, are found to exhibit the same results then it begs the question as to what is “normal”. And if we accept that a level of what we call asthma is normal then why should there be a program of drugs made available to competitors at all?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Naughty Froome?’ is closed to new replies.