Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Natural riding in Fort Bill
  • carlos
    Free Member

A group of us are off to the lovely land they call Scotland next week for a bit of a tour 🙂

At some point we are going to be staying just south of Fort Bill with the plans to ride whatever is open around the Nevis Trails (Gondola is not open yet, which is a bit of a bummer!!)

Anyway, has anyone got a 25km+ loop of some natural stuff in or close by. Don’t mind a bit of fire road, ideally stuff like The Nan Bield, bottom half of Dolly Wagon, that sort of thing. We mostly ride in The Dark Peak, Wales and The Lakes, so are not put off by hills and or rocky stuff.

Already got The Devils Staircase marked

Any help would be great

Thanks

Carlos

chrissyharding
    Free Member

I think there is a loop around Kinlochleven area. It is in mtb trails . Info, I think.

BoardinBob

Dudes of Hazzard trails around Kinlochleven

http://www.strava.com/activities/217378671

VanHalen

We walked up to the bothy/hut thing on the north dside of ben nevis and i thought it would be mint to hike/ride (when it wasnt snowy).

a couple of years later theres vid of Aron Gwin and joe barnes doing just that.

loads of natural riding. just look at a map and go up a hill. (avoiding the bogs where feasible – it wont always be feasible to avoid)

jemima
    Free Member

There’s lots of nice off-piste stuff around witches trails as well.

Any you could always go for a bigger day out and do the Tour de Ben Nevis loop…

13thfloormonk

The trail along the side of Loch Morar is a bit of an adventure if you don’t mind technical ups and downs. I rode it a few years ago, some sections definitely unrideable but some sections were great, very unique setting as well.

crash_gav
    Free Member

Hi 13thfloormonk,

Is that trail and out and back to Tarbet (of the whale boat fame), or can you carry on to Sourlies?

Looked at it on the map for a number of years as another way into Knoydart.

carlos
    Free Member

chrissyharding – Member
    I think there is a loop around Kinlochleven area. It is in mtb trails . Info, I think.

Yup, that’s down for when we get a bit higher and ride Torridion

BoardinBob – Member
    Dudes of Hazzard trails around Kinlochleven

That’s not a bad start, cheers.

Van Halen – Sounds good. I’ll check it out

Thanks so far

jemima – Member
    There’s lots of nice off-piste stuff around witches trails as well.

Any you could always go for a bigger day out and do the Tour de Ben Nevis loop…
    Both already on the list of things to ride.

13thfloormonk – Member
    The trail along the side of Loch Morar

That sounds and looks perfect, just its West and we’re going to be heading North, so way to far off route.

kcal

I’ve walked the Morar path and wished I had my bike 🙂

chrissyharding
    Free Member

The Loch Morar trail, is it the path to Loch Arkaig?

whitestone
    Free Member

@Carlos

Kinlochleven is just south of Ft William 😀

scandal42
    Free Member

That Loch Morar setting looks nice but is it engaging enough for an out and back ride?

scotroutes

The Loch Morar trail runs from the wee road just outside Morar village to Swordland and over to the hostel at Tarbert. Time it right and you can get a boat back. Better to ride it both ways though. There’s one section where the path is built on rocks in the Loch that will require a carry.

And no, don’t try to get to Sourlies unless you have a packraft.

Northwind

The #enduro trails at kinlochleven are absolutely superb tbh but there’s not much sense of a loop or making progress, it’s twice up the same scenic but otherwise fairly unpleasant landrover track… The descents are maybe my favourite anywhere, though… And you’ve got the ciaran path too up the other road. It works out a bit like a trail centre ride in a lot of ways

kennyp
    Free Member

Cam Bealach is a fantastic descent though a bit of a pain to get to.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yes I wouldn’t aim for the mares/kennels trails if you’re wanting a day out/loop, but if you can end a day on one of them it’d be superb. In fact, you can! If the weather’s good, do the pedal/hike up Binnein Mor, then it’s most of a 30-60 min descent on twisty tech rocky sweetness.

scotroutes

I was out and about earlier or I’d have posted some of these from the Loch Morar trail before.

The carry
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/bTRf7i]020[/url] by WeezyC, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bEWBZu]004[/url] by WeezyC, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bTMoEi]P1160474[/url] by Andrea, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bERhQw]P1040088[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

rickmeister

That was a cracking day out and back…. ^^^

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yes the morar trail was fun. My mate did a lot of work on making it almost all rideable a few months ago.

thedobbster
    Free Member

Glasgowdan… Binnein Mor.. is this an obvious path all the way up to the summit? Looking on OS map online now and can’t see a path to the summit. Ive stood at top of Mare/Kennels and always liked the look of the singletrack sweeping down there. How long to carry up?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Drop me an email

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Natural riding in Fort Bill’ is closed to new replies.