Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • "Natural authority"
  • Squidlord
    Free Member

You know it when you see it – but how would you define it? And is it something you can cultivate?

kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUc62jD-G0o[/video]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Bedds
    Free Member

I think it’s something that can be cultivated

‘Natural authority’ comes from getting people to respect you and want to do the things that need doing.. its the hearts and minds thing that has been nicked by the media to explain how the allies bomb the hell out of a country whilst giving the kids chocolate bars.. but it means that you can connect with people both on an intellectual level (the logic behind something) and on an emotional level (you’re a good person who they respect)..

Junkyard
    Free Member

[tannoy]Big hitters to the forum, Big hitters to the forum[/tannoy]

Spin
    Free Member

In reply to kimbers.

That’s just shouting. Authority would be getting it done without the shouting.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hi viz jacket.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKTOUkroU0[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

I ooze it. It’s a bit sticky and just a little smelly, but it serves me well.

Also known as “bar presence”, for getting served in a crowded pub.

kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c11Z-33PSU[/video]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Spin – Member
    In reply to kimbers.
    That’s just shouting. Authority would be getting it done without the shouting.
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

That’s why I posted Poppins – has the authority and respect without the shouting. Helped that she could perform magic though. 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mary Poppins is a great example IMO. People want leadership not bosses. You can spot a leader almost immediately.

Confident
    Competent
    Authoritative
    Generous
    Energetic
    Open
    Principled
    Moral
    Fair
    Focussed
    Thoughtful

Make an acronym out of that

You can be who you want to be because you are what you think, and you can think what you want.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Thanks for the answers, especially Buzz’s. I got quite a big promotion recently, and am still growing into the role, so that last post is very useful. 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Spit Spot!

samuri
    Free Member

You’ve got to be really, really rude.

And quite tall. And have a decent head of hair. And you have to be really confident that when you say something, it’ll just happen. If you’re confident enough, it will.

yunki
    Free Member

I have no idea.. I’m a born follower.. I’ll follow a cat if it looks like it’s going somewhere..

if someone looks like they’re about to commit violence upon me then I’ll usually do what they ask.. is that it..?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d imagine some of it can be learned, but never all of it, the best leaders know it already, and most that want to learn it won’t.

“It” is prob along the lines of the list above.

IHN

Watch an infant/junior school head mistress (they’re normally women) address a school hall full of their pupils. That’s natural authority.

clubber
    Free Member

samuri – Member

And quite tall. And have a decent head of hair. And you have to be really confident that when you say something, it’ll just happen. If you’re confident enough, it will.

Three out of four ain’t bad 🙂

Otherwise, Buzz’s list sounds like a very good starting point.

willard

It help if, in addition to being taller etc, you are also better at everything you do than the people under you. You should also make sure that they are reminded of this every time they show themselves to be less god at things than you.

Like Jeremy Clarkson.

philconsequence
    Free Member

well said buzz, in addition: a natural leader will be inclusive… naturally putting people at ease allowing everyone to join in, not just the wanna-be-leaders 🙂

being good looking helps, nobody likes taking instructions from an ugly beast.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Natural Authority: is accepted by a group/team of people who respect the natural leader. Respect however has to be earned and not demanded.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’d say it can be cultivated to a large extent but there are probably physical elements (height, looks, voice etc.) that can help or hinder, especially if you’re talking about ‘first impressions’ situations like bar presence. If it’s something that can be demonstrated over the longer term buzz’s list is probably about right.

EDIT: Don’t the police teach recruits how to present themselves with authority or is that a myth?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

being good looking helps

See Mary Poppins, above.

I think I have developed a soft spot. Or is that a har.. (I had better not go there).

16stonepig
    Free Member

Make an acronym out of that

CCAGEOPMFFT. They have to be Welsh?

justatheory
    Free Member

Don’t follow leaders.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Things I’ve started doing in the last couple of months:
    – communicating assertively: saying “I need this by tomorrow morning please”, instead of “if you have time, it would be a good idea if you were able to…”
    – making more time for my people when they have questions etc. (Not easy, as I’m still doing my old job). And randomly taking people for lunch or a drink when I can.

– only at home with Squidlady 😉

have a decent head of hair

– nope 😐

And quite tall.

– I’ve noticed in photos that I slouch horribly. So I’m working to improve my posture. I’m holding myself erect. Ahem.

seven
    Free Member

watch the parking meters

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘"Natural authority"’ is closed to new replies.