Viewing 37 posts - 241 through 277 (of 277 total)
  • National Trust Vs Right Wing Restore Trust
  • inkster
    Free Member

Rewilding gets my vote, with some bike trails thrown in of course!

Houns

Luckily to have both where I am

johnx2
    Free Member

Should they be ‘true’ commons? Not sure I want to see kids tearing them up on motorbikes and travellers camping on them myself.

…breathes fresh life into the thread 🙂

inkster
    Free Member

Hmmm…

Travellers camping on common land, like they used to do for hundreds of years until the 1950’s / 60’s. I guess that preserving certain traditions and histories is more important than preserving others…

dissonance

review what you’re going to say before launching it on an unsuspecting audience who are being primed by culture-war hyperbole

It wasnt exactly launched onto the audience though was it? People really had to go looking for it with the intended purpose being it would then inform future decisions.
    It is rather telling how the outraged cant actually give examples of it being forced on them.

IdleJon

Travellers camping on common land, like they used to do for hundreds of years until the 1950’s / 60’s. I guess that preserving certain traditions and histories is more important than preserving others…

The new tradition is wandering around a NT property clutching a disposable coffee cup while looking the other way as your dog craps in the undergrowth. Where would the dogwalkers go if the travellers were there?

Greybeard
    Free Member

The Times reports today that Restore Trust didn’t ask the candidates they have endorsed before doing so, and some of them are not happy about it.

sparksmcguff

The new tradition is wandering around a NT property clutching a disposable coffee cup while looking the other way as your dog craps in the undergrowth.

😂 it’s funny because it’s true.

The Times reports today that Restore Trust didn’t ask the candidates they have endorsed before doing so, and some of them are not happy about it.

That adds some important context to the story. Thanks.

csb

didn’t ask the candidates they have endorsed before doing so, and some of them are not happy about it.

Trouble with politics is you don’t get to choose who supports you. But I remain sceptical that this isn’t a ruse to get sympathy votes for these ‘misunderstood candidates’.

jimw
    Free Member

It looks like three of the RT supported candidates got elected (although some said they hadn’t asked for the endorsement) but not Stephen Green.
    They also voted to continue the ban on trail hunting on NT land by a large majority although that is a non-binding vote.

csb

Min Grimshaw – elected
    Sarah Green – re-elected
    Caroline Kay – re-elected
    Andrew Powles – elected
    Sandy Nairne – elected
    Guy Trehane – re-elected

ratherbeintobago

@jimw Which of those are RT?

csb

The candidates for the governing council that Restore Trust have supported are Michael Goodhart, Stephen Green, Min Grimshaw, David Pearson, Andrew Powles and Guy Trehane.

ratherbeintobago

I can’t find/remember who the one who wasn’t happy about RT endorsement was.

jimw
    Free Member

Goodhart was one who was unhappy that he hadn’t been consulted by RT

nickc

but not Stephen Green.

That’s not a surprising result, but a good one nevertheless, fella seems like a nasty piece of work.

jimw
    Free Member

That’s not a surprising result

He came within less than 1000 votes (33564 vs 34402) of the lowest successful candidates score

ratherbeintobago

Bump.

Anyone know who the candidates to avoid are this year?

jimw
    Free Member

Anyone know who the candidates to avoid are this year?

Philip Gibbs

Andrew Gimson

violet Manners

Philip Merricks

Jonathan Sumption

From their website to save too many clicks

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

All the above. Generally, if you get the magazine and the included AGM leaflet, then each candiates 10year plan is enough to weed out the wrong uns.

Although it’s very difficult not to like the name Violet Manners…

nickc

Yep, she’s clearly a character from the Just William books

hatter

Yep, she’s clearly a character from the Just William books

More Roald Dahl

ratherbeintobago

By the look of it, just using the quick vote to vote for the five recommended candidates will have the right effect?

(I note also there’s a member’s resolution about improving walking/cycling access which the NT recommends you vote for)

CountZero

I’ve been thinking about joining the NT, this sort of disruptive behaviour on the part of RT is something I’m very much against, so it might be an opportunity to air my views. Any prospective candidate who utters the words ‘woke/wokism’ is immediately disqualified.

zippykona

To save me looking, who should we vote for?

ratherbeintobago

@zippykona As far as I can see using the ‘quick vote’ option to vote for the NT’s recommended candidates is the fastest way to keep out the nutters – this votes for:

• James Dixon
    • Inga Grimsey
    • Sarah Hollingdale
    • Simon Kearey
    • Michael Salter-Church

All of whom look OK.

zippykona

Thanks, will do.

Have done.

jimw
    Free Member

None of Restore Trusts candidates were elected, all had about 45-48000 votes but the threshold for being elected was 77000

the resolution to improve cycling and pedestrian access was also passed by a huge majority

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

That’s good to hear.

Perhaps shows a positive swing in favour of fair mind / open mindedness and a general reduction in support for the right wing.

(ok, so that’s a sweeping generalisation, but actively moving to deny the past and gender issues seems pretty right wing to me)

dissonance

poor tufton street.
    Perhaps they need a new astroturf organisation to hide behind?

zippykona

First time I’ve voted. Glad it made a difference. Was the turn out up?

ratherbeintobago

the resolution to improve cycling and pedestrian access was also passed by a huge majority

I wonder if that’ll lead to any kind of a rethink at Lyme, where they were talking about building what would’ve been one of the biggest car parks in Cheshire.

onewheelgood

Perhaps shows a positive swing in favour of fair mind / open mindedness and a general reduction in support for the right wing.

I’m not sure about that. They lost, but really not by much, and they got close to getting their resolutions to change the voting process in their favour passed. I can’t find the full results from last year, but I think they improved on their 2022 showing, so I’m still quite concerned that a third year of campaigning might see them winning. 

susepic

Not a member, all the NT places I go are parts of the downs, and don’t do houses and stuff. Wanted to vote this year, but realised too late. Will take out membership in time next year. Tufton St can f off

IHN

I wonder if that’ll lead to any kind of a rethink at Lyme, where they were talking about building what would’ve been one of the biggest car parks in Cheshire.

There was an enormous amount of nonsense spread on social media about this, I don’t think many people had actually looked at the plans.

There are many, perfectly decent, ways of getting to Lyme on foot or by bike. It’s not the NT’s fault that the residents of South Manchester and Cheshire are lazy bastards.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Good point onewheel – would have to look at figures. 

bikesandboots
Viewing 37 posts - 241 through 277 (of 277 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.