Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • National Beaver Officer
  • MoreCashThanDash

Probably helps if you’re a member of the right lodge though

👏👏

anagallis_arvensis

It is if you work in public service. As a working nurse even with nights and weekend supplement the best year I ever had barely reached that. My partner never reached that. Both of us a lifetime in public service with multiple qualifications to degree level

It’s a shit salary given you will need to be one of the countries leading experts on Beaver and it’ll have no promotion opportunities. I earn more as a bog standard teacher and I certainly am not a leading expert in the country.

boblo
    Free Member

Probably not a particularly popular view but when did they make it compulsory to stay in a job earning less than ‘you ‘ think is due to you? We have a mobile workforce, get some new skills and earn more bread in a new field.

And for those in the public sector moaning about public sector pay, don’t forget the gold plated final salary pension, earlier retirement and generally better protected employment rights compared to the private sector. The big delta in pay rates is largely a thing of the past too…

Having lobbed that in, aaam oot.

Cougar

Grateful for helpful forumites in lieu of a fit for purpose “help page”. Instead of telling me that, it gives completely erroneous instructions on using video tags which doesn’t work.

I understand your frustration but the problem is, it’s One More Thing to maintain for an already overstretched team. I made inroads into this on the FAQ page I started, there’s hints and tips in there, but anything that’s changed in the last 12-18 months may be out of date.

MoreCashThanDash

And for those in the public sector moaning about public sector pay, don’t forget the gold plated final salary pension, earlier retirement and generally better protected employment rights compared to the private sector. The big delta in pay rates is largely a thing of the past too…

The gold plated pension had already gone when I joined the Civil Service in 2003, and subsequent reforms means I can’t get my full pension under the new scheme until state pension age.

Arguably better employment rights, I’ll give you that. Though twice I’ve been redeployed to other departments to avoid redundancy after restructures and office closures.

The pay discrepancy? Taken me 18 years in the Civil Service to reach the salary I was earning in the private sector before being made redundant after a takeover in 1999. My mate was looking at public sector H&S rules recently till he realised it was a 25% pay cut. Yes, our rates at the lower end are closer than they used to be, but reward for responsibility higher up the chain doesn’t match.

Stockholm Syndrome is a terrible thing. 🤣

tjagain

And for those in the public sector moaning about public sector pay,

I was not moaning.  I was simply pointing out that once again a poster on here had got it so badly wrong about what is a normal or good salary.

Its laughable how little understanding of the reality facing large sections of society is shown on here

highlandman
    Free Member

Back to beavers and away from pay scales and blinkered, outdated thinking over ‘gold plated’ (huh..!!) public servant pension schemes, clearly a sore point with Boblo.
    But before I go, civil service pensions are now contributory, have been expensive for years and are also no longer final salary, they’re career average. And pay out 7 years later than I contracted for as a young man. Like I said, blinkered and out of date thinking.

Beavers do have a natural predator that should be here and isn’t as yet, although I live in hope of seeing lynx return one day. They would of course also help reduce the overpopulation of roe deer as well and will eat a few red deer calves as well, all helping in the overall picture of a healthy, rewilded environment.
    Lynx are the reason that beavers are normally so timid and hard to spot in the wild; they instinctively know that there’s a very good predator potentially lurking nearby. We have beaver populations all around us that ebb and flow, depending on which estate is shooting how many of them. Big(ish) cats would be a much better solution than bullets.

csb

We always roll out the ‘could earn loads more in the private sector’ line but as always, the job you’d do there wouldn’t be anyhing like this. You’d be an apologist for a developer, squeezing through risk and impact assessments for developers, not reintroducing a species you are clearly passionate about.

A better comparison would be academia and a rare post-grad role in a pretty niche area.

benpinnick

This could mean that if you take this job you might have to organise beaver culls and deal with complaints as they eat ornamental trees.
    Badgers are a native species and they are still being culled.

This is where the National Cougar Officer job comes in.

boblo
    Free Member

clearly a sore point with Boblo.

Not really. I’m sure we all have our own hard luck stories about how we were turned over… I paid into a final salary scheme for 20 years for the Company to change to defined contribution – retrospectively. Suck that one up…

We’re used to hearing how little people earn, how overworked they are and how tough things are – public or private sector. Get some training and get out of it if whomever is that unhappy. Easy to say I know when you might have invested the best part of your career with a given employer but as above, staying is not compulsory which you’ll soon find when the employer decides you’re superfluous…

Maybe it’s my age group but the people I know in NHS, LA etc all seem to be on reasonable salaries (more than the fabled £32k p/a from that other thread), are planning to retire around 60 and on full final salary pensions (is it still 2/3rds?).

I ‘retired’ at 53 but I paid (pay) for it myself. Retired in ” as that’s really for old people, not me obv 😁

MoreCashThanDash

This is where the National Cougar Officer job comes in.

How are we defining “cougar” here? Asking for a friend

benpinnick

How are we defining “cougar” here? Asking for a friend

Using the same basis as ‘Beaver’, I would imagine.

Bunnyhop

Beavers to pensions in a few posts, don’t you just love STW?

ctk
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the “What car for a Beaver Officer” thread

ctk
    Free Member

Also if I got the job I would 100% have business cards printed.

anagallis_arvensis

I was simply pointing out that once again a poster on here had got it so badly wrong about what is a normal or good salary.

Its laughable how little understanding of the reality facing large sections of society is shown on here

If that’s aimed at me you have misunderstood my point. £32k is a good wage but it’s a shit wage for that job given very very few people in the country will have the skills needed. Most jobs in ecology have shit pay unless you sell your soul to the devil and become a consultant.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘National Beaver Officer’ is closed to new replies.