Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • National anthems
  • tjagain

I don’t think anybody knows all the words to any National Anthem do they?

Flower of Scotland I do.  One of my brains strange quirks.  songs get stuck in my head

johnners
    Free Member

Unfortunately the best national anthem is the Russian one, at least as far as the tune goes. They took up the old Soviet anthem’s tune with some new lyrics a few years after the dissolution of the USSR.
    The USA’s is pretty decent too imo. GSTK is abysmal

Clover

Having just moved to France and realising that I didn’t know the Marseillaise I have been busy learning it.

It’s a bit blood thirsty: To arms, citizens! Form our battalions. Soak the furrows of our land with the blood of our impure enemies. March on! March on! etc

On the upside, it is not about saving some bumbling (or worse) monarch, it’s about protecting citizens. I quite like living in a republic.

Caher

Ireland did have a great anthem but they ditched it for that terrible bland anodyne effort.

Not sure what you mean there as Amhrán na bhFiann is some hundred years old. If you mean Ireland’s Call, yeah I don’t like it.

didnthurt

Italian is my favourite. France’s is good too.

kennyp
    Free Member

Not sure what you mean there as Amhrán na bhFiann is some hundred years old. If you mean Ireland’s Call, yeah I don’t like it.

To clarify, what I meant was that Amhrán na bhFiann (the Soldier’s Song) was a great rousing anthem that must have had the Irish rugby team (other sports are available) very fired up. The new one is insipid and dull. Don’t get me wrong, I know that so many things in Ireland have symbolic meaning and can be seen as one thing to one side and one to another, but I’ve always loved that rugby brings both parts of the island together, and politics/religion aside, that was a cracking tune.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They still sing Amhrán na bhFiann (as well as Ireland’s Call) when playing in Dublin. Rugby in Ulster was traditionally played more by the Protestant community. To be honest, expecting them to stand and sing “The Soldiers’ Song” was taking the mick a bit. Ireland’s Call is the anthem when playing away. Only for rugby though. Amhrán na bhFiann remains the anthem for all other occasions. I started out disliking Ireland’s Call but am quite fond of it now – I think the many years of seeing the Green Machine players choke up when they sing it has probably helped. And it has a key change! All good songs should have a key change. 😀

jonnyboi

I know most of Hen Wlad fy Nhadau

quite simply the greatest National anthem ever. Also the best flag ever, as obviously in a game of top trumps flags a dragon would beat everything

Northwind

Can we not just go with Radiohead? Everyone’s standing patiently on the pitch, Alfie Boe’s doing the wailing, 3 minutes in and the brass band’s losing their shit…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh god no, could you imagine the separatists all running about slevering Sunshine on Leith?

Ah, it’s a bloody tune though. I’m nominally a hearts fan, my dad was hearts daft and so’s my brother and Charlie was a right shit when he was married to a mate of mine but we’ll still all belt out the yeah yeah yeah yeaaahs.

But yeah, divisive. How about something that really ties into the beating heart of Edinburgh, something inseperable, that we can all sing along to… altogether now “Drive boy dive boy dirty numb angel boy in the doorway boy she was a lipstick boy…”

reeksy

I think they should all be more like Brazil’s.

Great tune. Inspiring lyrics.

England might better suit the Benny Hill tune at the moment.

https://youtu.be/SyyOahYXhUQ

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.