Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • National anthems
  • redmex
    Free Member

Just heard the Belgium and Croatia anthems there both pretty naff, other than the UK how many can you recognize?
    German and Italian all due to Michael Schumacher in his Ferrari years and must admit the Italian one is pretty good

kennyp
    Free Member

From many years of attending matches at Murrayfield, for me the best is the French one, with Wales a close second. Ireland did have a great anthem but they ditched it for that terrible bland anodyne effort.

ayjaydoubleyou

German and Italian all due to Michael Schumacher in his Ferrari years and must admit the Italian one is pretty good

one of those two I can still remember perfectly – but I have no idea if its te German or Italian one

slowoldman

The Italian national anthem is the best.
    Anyway:

German – I’m half German
    British – Well I’m half English too
    American – ‘cos it can’t be avoided
    Belgian – I watch a lot of cycling
    Australian – ditto
    Italian – ditto (oh and F1 of course)
    Dutch – ditto
    French – don’t we all?

nickc

Fun fact: The UK and Liechtenstein anthem uses the same tune. I think the Greek and Cypriot one is as well? (might be wrong about that one)

Poopscoop

Not sure of how many I recognise but I do like the French one, partly due to it being sung so passionately and defiantly in Casablanca.

Must have been hugely moving at the time in 1942.

MoreCashThanDash

Is it the Argentine one that sou ds like it’s set to a waltz? Not exactly stirring stuff. Not even a bloody tango.

blackhat
    Free Member

I wish I could track it down but there was a good newspaper article a few years ago about the meanings of anthems from around the world. The British one effectively has us lauding an unelected individual as head of state and conferring upon them the blessing of a religious deity. Other nations celebrate great wars, struggles for independence and the resourcefulness of their peoples.

tjagain

I would get most of the major rugby playing nations and also Germany I think

Its always fun to get a translation of the words tho – IIRC the italian one is rather blood thirsty

tjagain

Italy
    <p class=”paragraph-text”>1. Brothers of Italy,
    Italy has awakened;
    Scipio’s helmet
    she has put on her head.
    Where is the Victory?
    Offer her the hair;
    because slave of Rome
    God created her.

Chorus:
    Let us unite!
    We are ready to die;
    Italy called.
    </p>
    <p class=”paragraph-text”>2. We have been for centuries
    stamped on, and laughed at,
    because we are not one people,
    because we are divided.
    Let’s unite under
    one flag, one dream;
    To melt together
    Already the time has come.</p>
    <p class=”paragraph-text”>3. Let’s unite, let’s love;
    The union and the love
    Reveal to the people
    God’s ways.
    We swear to liberate
    the native soil:
    United, for God,
    Who can beat us?</p>
    <p class=”paragraph-text”>4. From the Alps to Sicily,
    Everywhere is Legnano;
    Every man of Ferruccio
    has the heart and the hand;
    the children of Italy
    are called Balilla;
    The sound of every church bell
    calling for evening prayers.</p>
    <p class=”paragraph-text”>5. They are branches that bend
    the sold swords;
    Already the eagle of Austria
    has lost its feathers.
    the blood of Italy
    and the Polish blood
    Drank with Cossacks
    But its heart was burnt.</p>

chewkw
    Free Member

I think I can recognise the national anthems of:

American
    UK
    Italy
    Malaysia

Can’t remember any of the lyrics at all.

That’s it really while the rest are not important countries LOL!

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Can’t remember any of the lyrics at all.

Even football fans can remember the UK one!

avdave2

Up there I think with Poopscoop’s contribution

chewkw
    Free Member

Eve football fans can remember the UK one!

Can only remember three words “God save the Queen/King” the rest nothing, for my home country it is even worst as I cannot even remember a single word.

slowoldman

The British one effectively has us lauding an unelected individual as head of state and conferring upon them the blessing of a religious deity.

Actually if you look at the words it’s more to do with praising God than the monarch.

I like that second verse we’re not allowed to sing anymore:
    O Lord our God arise,
    Scatter our enemies,
    And make them fall!
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix,
    God save us all!

Knavish tricks – hehe.

A bit like the Italian in that respect.

tthew

We are all in agreement that ours is a bloody awful dirge though aren’t we?

We need a new more upbeat, fun tune.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Any other Scots who think Flower of Scotland needs binned?

GSTQ isn’t much better.

Imagine actually having an anthem that you could sing as enthusiastically as any Frenchman.

tjagain

slowoldman – and the third ( no longer mentioned) verse

“Lord grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God Save the King.”

a11y

Any other Scots who think Flower of Scotland needs binned?

GSTQ isn’t much better.

Imagine actually having an anthem that you could sing as enthusiastically as any Frenchman.

Yes, yes and yes.

Flower of Scotland is just crap. Not that I think I could write better, but it really is a bit of a dirge.

Seeing/hearing the French national anthem being sung with vigour is quite a spectacle and shows what a proper national anthem should achieve, IMO.

tjagain

I find Flower of Scotland powerful – but that is really due to the association with hearing it sung by a full ground at murrayfield

It is rather a dirge tho being ( I think) a lament and is only just saved from being too jingoistic by the line ” those days are passed now, and in the past they must remain”

Its only what 60 years old or so as well IIRC.

Dunno what you would replace it with

crazy-legs

The British one effectively has us lauding an unelected individual as head of state and conferring upon them the blessing of a religious deity.

Bill Bailey had a good sketch about that with various musical interludes and he asked much the same question – why would you use a dreadful dirge to call upon a non-specific deity to save an unelected sponger?

We need a new more upbeat, fun tune.

convert

Aside from the fact the it’s already been stripped of a couple of verses to reduce offence, GSTK still remains unfit for purpose for 2022. A leg trembler to both the monarchy and a singular Christian god knocks out more than 50% of the population that could sing with any sort of relevance. I just can’t bring myself to sing it, or even just mouth along.

tjagain

I would never sing GSTK  I would stand so as not to be offensive but sing it?  No way

Once with a bunch of Americans drinking they sung their national anthem and then asked the brits to sing ours ( this was decades ago before I returned to Scotland so no FOS).  We refused and they just could not comprehend this

squirrelking
    Free Member

slowoldman – and the third ( no longer mentioned) verse

Except every time the thing is talked about.

It’s not no longer mentioned, it was never an official verse and to be honest no worse than the “anti-English” aspect of FoS.

Around 1745, anti-Jacobite sentiment was captured in a verse appended to the song, with a prayer for the success of Field Marshal George Wade’s army then assembling at Newcastle. These words attained some short-term use, although they did not appear in the published version in the October 1745 Gentleman’s Magazine. This verse was first documented as an occasional addition to the original anthem by Richard Clark in 1822,[42] and was also mentioned in a later article on the song, published by the Gentleman’s Magazine in October 1836. Therein, it is presented as an “additional verse… though being of temporary application only… stored in the memory of an old friend… who was born in the very year 1745, and was thus the associate of those who heard it first sung”, the lyrics given being:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the King.

The 1836 article and other sources make it clear that this verse was not used soon after 1745, and certainly before the song became accepted as the British national anthem in the 1780s and 1790s.

Those days are passed now
    And in the past they must remain
    But we can still rise now
    And be the nation again
    That stood against him
    Proud Edward’s army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again

It’s just a load of nationalist drivel reflecting on 700 year old past glories.

igm

@tjagain @slowoldman @squirrelking It’s not really a British / UK national anthem is it? More English / Monarchist / CoE.

I think one of the English national teams uses it at the moment – rugby or perhaps football?  Odd if it’s meant to be a British anthem, but then like I say it isn’t really so fair enough.

tjagain

IMo the “Those days are passed now
    And in the past they must remain” just about keeps it on the right side of jingoism

Most national anthems are somewhat nationalist / jingoistic tho not that that is any defense

tjagain

IGN – yes its used as the English national anthem at rugby matches which is more than a bit odd

I’d like the English rugby anthem to be changed.  Perhaps “jerusalem”?

ads678

Both England rugby and football use GSTK. I think it should be Land if hope and glory. Or Jerusalem.

thepurist

One thing that makes GSTK/Q so awful is that there’s basically no intro before the words, so any group singing along when it’s played by a band/orchestra/whatever usually starts late and tries to catch up which means everyone’s singing slightly different bits at the same time.

tthew

Ooh, Tenpole Tudor would be a brilliant new anthem choice. I might start one of those parliamentary petitions..😁

nickc

an American friend of mine (who shall remain nameless in case they revoke her citizenship) told me that for many years as a child she often wondered what a “Dawnserly Light” was, but was too afraid to ask as everyone else just seemed to know and sang the line…

bigblackshed

Flower of Scotland is the only “anthem” to make provision for people with tourettes.

NSFW:

Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau sang at full chat in a packed stadium never fails to raise the spirits.

slowoldman

“Dawnserly Light”

That reminds me of Billy Connolly (not referring to a national anthem but to a hymn)

“Gladly the Cross-eyed Bear”.

fasthaggis

I was out at a Mark Thomas gig last night (very,very good BTW) and part of his set was talking about scrapping National Anthems and making city anthems instead .At the break he challenged the Edinburgh crowd to come up with suggestions, we failed miserably,there must have been a lack of footie fans 😆 🤣

tjagain

to the tune of “she’ll be coming round the mountain”

” I’d rather be a jambo than a hun” etc  🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

At the break he challenged the Edinburgh crowd to come up with suggestions, we failed miserably,there must have been a lack of footie fans

Oh god no, could you imagine the separatists all running about slevering Sunshine on Leith?

” I’d rather be a jambo than a hun” etc

I thought Jambos were east coast huns? (IKFAAF)

tjagain

could be – the whole sectarian thing confuses me 🙂

funkmasterp

I don’t think anybody knows all the words to any National Anthem do they? Aren’t they like Auld Lang Syne whereby everyone knows the first bit and then just mumbles or does a hammered Jim Morrison impersonation for the rest?

irc

My mum used to confirm the suggestion about the French anthem in Casablanca being moving when the film was released She first saw the film as 16 yr old schoolgirl at an airbase cinema in Lewis during WW2. Now Stornaway Airport.

bob_summers

don’t think anybody knows all the words to any National Anthem do they

I know most of Hen Wlad fy Nhadau and I’m not even Welsh. Although it’s a tune you tend to hear in other contexts whereas GSTK is just cringeworthy (as are most anthems imo). O bydded yr hen iaith barhau!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.