Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • NAS/ router tech question
  • nicko74

I know there’s a few people here with ReadyNAS boxes, so hopefully someone can help…

I’ve got an NV+ v2 on my LAN, but while it’s visible to the network, it can’t connect to the internet. I’ve changed my router in the last few months, and given that the NAS previously was able to go online, I’m guessing that’s got something to do with it (router’s a D-Link Dir-645). All other devices on the network (various PCs, a couple of internet radios) can go online no problem.

What do I need to do to get the NAS to connect to the outside world? (bearing in mind that while I understand the concept of things like ‘ping x’, I don’t actually know the steps to do that…)

dh
    Free Member

Check the Dns and gateway settings on the nas match your pc’s

cranberry
    Free Member

DH + check the relevant ports that are forwarded on your router – for example if you want to access your NAS as an FTP server from outside your home then you will need to open port 21, 80 for a web server, and so on.

That said, if DH’s suggestion doesn’t work then you need to clarify what you mean by “it can’t connect to the internet”. What ? How? What error message(s) do you see ?

For to ping, open a command line – Start->Run->”cmd.exe” and then at the prompt type in “ping <<address>>” – so to ping a machine on the ip address 192.168.1.100 would be “ping 192.168.1.100”

nicko74

hmmm… looks like it may have been a DNS issue. Weird, but glad to solve it so easily. Thanks for the help!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘NAS/ router tech question’ is closed to new replies.