• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • NAS again
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I know we’ve been over this but.. what features do these modern things have that my old one doesn’t?

I’ve got DNLA and a shitty web front end. What else is there?

DezB
    Free Member

My QNap has, a sync folder (and associated app), sync/backup, Plex, music apps with chromecast/apple support, iTunes, BitTorrent, er.. other apps I don’t use but can’t think of. It’s fab, far more features than I take advantage of really.

wwaswas

Recently did a firmware and software update on my Synology after 3 years.

The difference in interface and features is dramatic. Have you updated your NAS recently?

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine’s no longer supported by the manufacturer, afaik.

I can’t think my way past simply having a file server for backups. We don’t have a lots of media files, except photos which need backing up.

somouk
    Free Member

The good thing with the synology is the wide variation in what it does. Apps to stream to the mobile device from your home NAS, private cloud, sync with all your other cloud services so you have everything all in one place that you can backup etc etc

Most of the cheaper alternatives just offer a NAS with a few network services and even then they only support basic file sharing and not the user access and permissions of a proper OS.

cranberry
    Free Member

Qnap has all sorts of stuff that you can do/link in with.

A list of apps available for Qnap Nas:

https://www.qnap.com/en/app_center/?for_qts4=1

DezB
    Free Member

Other great thing about Qnap is the speed. Remotely logging in is lightning fast (even from drearily slow work network).

DezB
    Free Member

A list of apps available for Qnap Nas:

Blimey

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘NAS again’ is closed to new replies.