Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • NAS Advice Wanted
  • uplink
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experiences of the following NAS boxes?

Really can't decide which
    It's pretty much going to be used for storage + media streaming
    I don't have any data that would cause a major crisis if lost but I'd be a bit peed off

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149510

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Stora-Home-Media-Server/dp/B002SNBCSQ/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

jon1973
    Free Member

I was looking at that Netgear Stora one, haven't got around to buying it yet. I like the fact you get an extra slot so you could get another HDD and raid if necessary.

Going on past discussions, I think you know far more about this than me though.

uplink
    Free Member

I guess I'm trying to work out if it's worth going with the [lesser model] Stora given it's 1TB HDD

z1ppy

If you don't need the ability to add an extra drive maybe:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-011-IO&groupid=1657&catid=1659&subcat=707

(no experience with any of them though).

uplink
    Free Member

I've looked at a few like the Iomega but the RAID capability of the Netgear ones is attractive for a future upgrade

tragically1969
    Free Member

I am toying with the idea of getting one and using RAID to keep all my photos on.

the Netgear ReadyNAS looks the best bet but i am holding off for the moment and looking at other options as a friend has had a nightmare with getting a Netgear one to rebuild after one drive failed, they seem incredibly fussy about the drives even when using ones that are on the compatability list.

Have you considered these:

http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=12&pid=178&set_language=english

Oh and i have said it before and i will say it again, NAS is a pointless bit of kit without RAID, you might as well buy a USB HDD, IMHO of course !!

Bimbler
    Free Member

I'm interested in this myself, looking at 1Tb raid 1 at minimum though – not really sure of the point of a NAS server without a mirror drive?

cp

mate uses a netgear readynas. really happy with it – excellent if you've got a static IP address as you can access remotely.

few issues setting up, but excellent support forums.

MrSmith
    Free Member

AFAIK they use their own method of data storage so if there are problems you just can't put a drive in a new enclosure and have access to your data.
    there were similar issues with the drobo storage, everything is fine until there's a problem!
    that's why i stick with JBOD, and steer clear of anything that does disk spanning like the bigger lacies because if 1 of the 2 drives goes that's your data lost.

damitamit
    Free Member

Or if you want to go down the geeky route…

Get an old pc (pretty much anything will do), bung a few HDs in it and install Freenas (www.freenas.org).

cp

im thinking of going geeky, but buying a fanless atom based motherboard and small enclosure… then using freenas.

uplink
    Free Member

Or if you want to go down the geeky route…

I'm reasonably geeky but noise & space are a bit of an issue

Milkie
    Free Member

Watching this with great interest!!

I've been contemplating a small PC (silent) or NAS, as it seems overkill to have a 750W PC on, just so I can access my video's throughout the house.

How quiet are the NAS's are they really silent? Or is just as loud as a hard drive or louder?

cp

readyNAS is pretty quiet – fan on startup which quietens down, and then just hard drive really, which depending on model can be v. quiet.

toys19
    Free Member

I build a nas box based on linux and run it headless – its not easy but cheap and quick once you know how. If you google diy nas you can find everything you need..

Pukz
    Free Member

Buffalo

Great products imo ….I have the Linkstation Mini, had it well over a year and it has been faultless.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Also looking at this at the moment, plan currently is to run a Netgear ReadyNAS with one 2TB drive then add another and RAID when I can. The Stora sounds nice, and there is a 2TB one coming, but I can't really wait and I don't know if it would be 100% compatible with what I need to use it with.

Pukz
    Free Member

Milkie…. the Buffalo Linkstation Mini is basically 2 WD laptop drives and they run very cool and is near on silent! It is also tiny in physical size…

I use it for streaming media to my laptop and PS3. It cost a bit more than your average NAS but it was worth the extra, deffo the best addition to my home network to date.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I'm starting to think about a NAS and home network. I've just ordered a new tv which is DNLA enabled (sony Bravia) and that has set me thinking about it all… getting a NAS to store my media and access i-player and similar internet sites, wiring up a Cat 6 ethernet network over time as I decorate the house, being able to stream media to other players around the house in time. All seems a good idea but I've not got a lot of knowledge on it and I've been struggling to pick up more infomrmation…wikipedia and a few other places I've googled have got me this far but I'm not confident I know enough to make decisions and get started yet. I don't know the answers to simple questions like, could a NAS stream (different) media to several players around the house at the same time? Can anyone point me at some reading material to learn about this? Cheers.

Shakey
    Free Member

I have a Netgear ReadyNas Duo and have found it to be really good although I have only had it for a week.

tragically1969 – interesting to hear that about disk rebuilds on thus unit.

I have also used Western Digital MyBookWorld and IcyBox's in the past and have found both to be rubbish. I bought 3 of the WD units and 4 or 5 IcyBox's and all have failed. Getting support from UK dealers or RaidSonic for the IcyBox's was a joke.

Support for Netgear is great but I am a premier partner which makes this easier. I am happy to talk to Netgear if anybody has a problem with their products.

toys19
    Free Member

neilnevil google diy nas, its all there baby.

footflaps

I have a Maxtor NAS drive on my home Wifi LAN and it's been really reliable. It's not mirrored and I just back it up. I've heard so many nightmares of 1+1 RAID just creating two images of the same corrupt drive I wouldn't trust it and a 1TB USB pocket drive is less than £100, so just buy one of those and back up things periodically.

uplink
    Free Member

enough prevarication

I've just ordered the Netgear 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

I meant the ReadyNAS Duo one 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘NAS Advice Wanted’ is closed to new replies.