narrow wide oval chainrings

Home Forum Bike Forum narrow wide oval chainrings

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • narrow wide oval chainrings
  • c_klein87

Rotor have launched their qx-1 ring on the new rex 1.1 crank, it has their usual wonkey shape, with thick/thin profile designed to work without a chain guide, sauser used it at Leaville 100. I’m keen to try one but don’t fancy the cost of the whole crank! so yes please make some =)

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com/

Premier Icon porter_jamie
    Subscriber

someone off this good forum has asked me to look into making some narrow/wide type chainrings, so i have got the cad chap stuck into modelling one up and am getting costs of 7075 plate. ouch, its not cheap.

is there any point or need for oval thin/thick type chain rings? without a front mech or chain device this would be ok, but what would happen with the clutch mech?

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

I would have thought there was more need for thick/thin on wonky ring than a round one, given the difficulty of using a chain device with a wonky ring.

Clutch mech wouldn’t be affected, chain tension should be even through the rotation of the crank, as per wonky singlespeed setups, including mine.

I’d be interested in one, depending on £, obviously!

GregMay

Interest perked…

Subscriber

right, i’ll get on it then. no idea if it’s going to work or anything. where can i get a wonky 32t / 34t ring to look at?

tazzymtb

goldtec already make wonky thick thin rings..maybe have a looky at theirs?

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

wow, could I use one of those with my hammerschmidt hub and converted osgear tensioner ?

niche-ho !

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

I’d be interested.

c_klein87

Tazzy where are the Goldtec wonky thick/thin rings? i can’t tell from their website whether is wonky or round!

tazzymtb

Best bet is to give kev a ring on the shop number..the website often lags behind what they are actually doing!

Subscriber

so i got the cost of a 2m x 1m sheet – i need to get quotes for water jetting out the blanks but i think they should come in for less than the big brands are knocking them out for. For info, renthal make a 520 7075 rear sprocket for a motorbike for about 39 quid. compared to a 32t 104bcd mtb sprocket at about 45 that seems like a bargain. maybe we are used to paying too much.

c_klein87

I tried Kev at Goldtec, and they’ve canned their wonkey thick/thin ring due to it overworking the clutch in type 2 mechs, adding extra resistance to the crank, i’m about to try a normal wonkey ring with my current x9 type2 mech so i can report back, but it makes sense from how he explained it 🙂

edit: they will work with xx1 as the clutch is different, so probably still worth it, as rotor have their qx-1 rings

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

porter_jamie – Member

For info, renthal make a 520 7075 rear sprocket for a motorbike for about 39 quid. compared to a 32t 104bcd mtb sprocket at about 45 that seems like a bargain.

Volumes, Renthal make a pretty good percentage of all the world’s aftermarket sprockets, of which there are many…

Oh when price comparing with renthal mtb bits remember they’re hard anodised- I couldn’t say how effective it is on pushbikes but on the motorbike rings it’s about a 50% lifespan increase over “plain” alu rings.

Subscriber

so a wonky ring will work with a type 2 (shimano??) mech, but a wonky one which is thick thin won’t? are they different geometry. i don’t understand how the thickthiness effects it.

c_klein87

the thick/thin makes no difference, its the wonkey ring profile which makes the clutch cause drive resistance, i didn’t explain it that well. He said that using a x-9 9 speed make on the normal non thick/thin worked lovely. But xx-1 mechs have a less fierce clutch and have less drive resistance

Subscriber

aha, i see.

Premier Icon schmiken
    Subscriber

I asked Goldtec about this a while ago as I also really want one!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘narrow wide oval chainrings’ is closed to new replies.