Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • nant yr arian
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

now then,
    heading to the above for easter weekend, first time and looking forward to it! one or maybe two of my mates who are going were planning on hiring bikes when we got there, though have just looked and doesn’t look like that’s possible at the centre itself. does anyone know if there are any decent places close by that will hire them out for the weekend?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You could ask at the Holey Trail a little way north in Machynlleth, or else try Summit Cycles down the hill in Aber.

rOcKeTdOg

the soup is nice in the cafe, but no bikes

sparkywalts
    Free Member

Nant yr Arain is an amazing trail centre but there isnt anywhere near that you can hire bikes.

Summit Cyclces in the nearby town called Aberystwyth has demo bikes but i dont know if they will allow you to take them out to nant.

You will love it mate. I lived there for 3 years during uni and miss riding there everyday.

nickc

Nice cafe, wasn’t massively impressed with the summit trail. Was a while back though, so could have been improved?

theflatboy
    Free Member

excellent – keep the good vibes coming, can’t wait already!

cheers for suggestions, as well – just checked on the holey trail site and looks like might be an option. we’ll be getting there a couple of days before the others so might be able to travel a bit to pick up if necessary.

any other suggestions welcome!

sparkywalts
    Free Member

Go to the climachx at macyenlltyth (I THINK THATS RIGHT) it is an amazing trail with 1/2 mile decent at the end called tony the tiger.

You will be doing this at the end of it 😀

btw it is 17 miles from abersytwyth

chvck
    Free Member

If you have time, then also do the climachx – I don’t think much of most of the trail but tony the tiger makes up for it (I really, really hate going uphill)! Video of tony the tiger – http://www.vimeo.com/3243297.

Somehow I don’t have any videos of Nant yet, despite riding it more than any other trail centre, it’s great fun!

rOcKeTdOg

Nant fun

Keva
    Free Member

I remember going there back in 2005, don’t think it had been open long then. I thought it was ace, had a great time. Must go back there soon.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i was looking forward to it before, even more so now! that video looks pretty **** good as well! can’t wait 🙂

sparkywalts
    Free Member

I will be up there that weekend so may see you about.

A group of us will be going to coed yr brenin and the dyfi forest aswell.

theflatboy
    Free Member

nice one. just been looking on the site, though, and looks like there’s some sort of event going on there at easter. will have to check if that will impact on normal trail use…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The bit called Mark Of Zorro is my favourite. But it’s all good.

Surfr
    Free Member

Keva – Member

I remember going there back in 2005, don’t think it had been open long then. I thought it was ace, had a great time. Must go back there soon.

I first rode it in around 1995 and it had been there a while then!

theflatboy
    Free Member

i was wrong about the event – it’s actually somewhere completely different, so that’s good! still looking forward to it 😮

Bunnyhop

Look out for the red kites. It’s the only place where I’ve ridden looking down upon a bird of prey.

theflatboy
    Free Member

awesome! will do 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

now my mate who is going with me is a moderate cyclist, but does not have a suitable bike for this purpose. i’m taking my lovely fullsus bike and might take my other one for him to use. is he likely to find it very hard going on a hardtail alu xc bike with rigid carbon forks?

chakaping
    Free Member

Let him ride the full-sus if you ever want to go biking with him again!

You might get away with a rigid bike on the short loop, but I’d want a sus fork at least for the long one.

theflatboy
    Free Member

hmmm. interesting! thanks for the info, i might have to look at him hiring one, then, cos he’s not riding this…

…!

i’d better have a word with him and make a different plan…

blu-tone
    Free Member

NyA is a great centre and I love the longer trail it has a real wild feel to it and a great finish.

Would also add my approval to the ClimachX train just out of Machynlleth just for Tony The Tiger.

The guys at Holey Trail do have bikes for hire and PLEASE give them your custom, they are true Knights of MTB. They loaned me a rear shock, saved my weekend and declined any payment !!! All they asked was a mention here !

They also run a spiffing MTB bunkhouse right in the middle of Machynlleth which is very handy for all trails, pubs, cafes etc.

They also do MTB Guiding.

Check out their Website
    REDITREKS

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers blu, someone mentioned them above so they’re the only people i know in the area who might do anyway! it will be a good excuse to drag the missus to a bike shop before my mate gets there as well. just tried them but no answer. i’ll give them a ring this avo. 🙂

matt_outandabout

You might get away with a rigid bike on the short loop, but I’d want a sus fork at least for the long one.

Better not tell you my 7 year old rode it on his rigid (cos the forks dont move he is so light) bike, with me following pulling the trailer….. 😀

martyntr
    Free Member

As a local I can thoroughly recommend the Continental (Conti) trail. There’s plenty of extra trails especially when you get out towards Nant y Moch.

If you want a bit of Guiding give me a shout, my emails in my profile.

If I’m not around give one of the other guys from Ystwyth MTB a shout….

http://www.ystwyth-mtb.co.uk

Surfr
    Free Member

Your 7 year old rode a 35Km loop with 670m ascent? fair play.

theflatboy
    Free Member

awesome, cheers for the info chaps. so what so you guys reckon, matt and martyn – viable on the fully rigid or best not?

it’s this, for info:

martyntr
    Free Member

flatboy, that’ll be fine for the conti…. I have ridden it on this….

and this…

martyntr
    Free Member

The second one more often than the first !! 😉

sparkywalts
    Free Member

You can ride nant on a fully rigid easily.

You dont need a full sus at all.

Hippity hop is good fun with a full squish though

theflatboy
    Free Member

ok, thanks once more for more input.

matt_outandabout

Your 7 year old rode a 35Km loop with 670m ascent? fair play.

I guess we missed some out 😳 he did about 24k I reckon…

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

I rode the Conti twice last Saturday and only saw 4 other riders during the whole 5 hours. Still lots of deep water (puddles) on the track, deep enough to get your feet soaking wet. Brilliant ride and awesome scenery. The Garmin had the total climb for 2 laps as 1650 so it may be a little over the stated 670

theflatboy
    Free Member

oh and by the way, for anyone who cares, my mate was fine on the rigid – no probs. so much fun, that place, wish i was back there now! 🙂

here he is on it:

and here i am on mine:

happy days. 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

what bike is that iin the snow ?

Kev

theflatboy
    Free Member

it’s a santa cruz heckler (i think)

zokes
    Free Member

Aye – I’ve done it rigid, 5″ HT, and 6″ trail bike, and of them all, I preferred the HT, but both rigid and FS had their merits…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘nant yr arian’ is closed to new replies.