Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nant Yr Arian… what's it like?
  • lardman
    Free Member

Going to do a 3 days @ start of feb for some trails that i have not done before.
    On the list is Nant Yr Arian, so wondered if anyone had some info on what its like?

For reference we like technical, rocky, challenging rather than gravelled Llandegla type trails.

Then we were maybe looking at ‘The Beast’ as it’s nearly 15 years since i was there in the ‘Karrimoor trail’ days, and fancied seeing if it was worth it.

Penmachno is the first of the three days as i really like that trail.

We might end up at Brechfa for the Gorlech. I’ve done the Raven, and fancied something different there.

any info, opinions???
    Many thanks.

Lardman.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Be aware of some trail-segment closures due to forestry work; those nearest the centre itself. You can join the first segment part-way by taking the footpath the climbs up out of the car park and following that until it intersects the cycle trail. The loss of the final segment back to the centre is quite a loss IMO.

It’s perfect HT terrain – smooth with a narrower profile in places and lots of wiggles and flowy corners. Segments are linked by moorland doubletrack. Mark of Zorro is one of the nicest singletrack segments anywhere IMO. It’s not a techfest at all.

GreenK
    Free Member

It’s great but but not really “technical, rocky, challenging”. It isn’t smooth groomed gravel either. The Syfydrin is a good “wilderness” ride. It’s rated black because it gets a bit remote rather than difficult.

Thought about the Climachx at Machynlleth? – worth it for the final decent – beware in the wet! 🙂

GreenK
    Free Member

Buzz – yes, High as a Kite is a brilliant piece of trail. Only drops about 30-40m but keeps going and going.

_tom_
    Free Member

Its awesome, probably my favourite trail centre other than Bike Park Wales.

GreenK
    Free Member

This is Mark of Zorro. I am a very average rider so imagine it ridden faster and more aggressively! 😉

Mark of Zorro – Vimeo

rhid

It is well worth doing even if you prefer the more rocky technical stuff, its fast and flowing all the way round. I reckon its my fave trail! Its pretty easy to do Climachx and NYA in one day to be honest.

martinhutch

Well worth an afternoon, certainly, but Coed y Brenin is a bit bumpier and the Tawr trail there is the closest to the kind of thing you’re after , I suspect.

lardman
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for all the replies.
    I wanted the check out the Climachx tail, so might combine them for a days worth.

The remote nature of NYA sound like the ticket, even if it’s not a technical trail.

Lard.

p7rich
    Free Member

NYA is excellent. Did it last year and was good. Not much of it as i recall though. If you’re in the area a few days you really can’t miss Antur Stiniog. Meets all your criteria. I also second Climachx, one of my favourite trails – watch out for the 90-left near the end!

mt
    Free Member

It’s great and you’ll enjoy it. You can do some lonely singletrack with a bit of an out there feel. As stated above, the loss of the trail back to the cafe is shame. Good cafe. Try a ride in the Élan Valley also, get over to Rhyader and speak to Neil and Clive in Élan Valley Cyclery. Clive is a legend of Mid Wales mtbiking.

kayak23

Has the descent back to the centre gone for good then or just for a while for felling?

kpt1972
    Free Member

There’s some fantastic “Off Piste” riding to be had off and around Nant Yr Moch also. I’ve done quite a few now and linked them in with some of the usual trails out and back – search the forum for Nant Yr Arian and it should give you a few idea’s of what’s about there.

lardman
    Free Member

cheers for all the tips. I’ll bear them in mind.

you really can’t miss Antur Stiniog. Meets all your criteria

is a bit of a red herring tho’, as the gravel motorways apparent here are def: NOT what we are liking.

p7rich
    Free Member

don’t dismiss it, the gravel bits just ferry you between the mahoosif rocky bits of the mountain that will be challenging for anyone. I’m not a downhiller but within a month of visiting AS i had bought a 200mm bouncer and am having a whale of a time.

Susie
    Free Member

I’d also like to know if High as a Kite has gone for good. Real shame if it has.

CaptainCrash
    Free Member

High as a Kite is gone for the duration. 🙁 the entire area has been clear-felled with the inevitable damage to the trail. Officially, the area is to be re-planted with 13,000 oak trees and other native species before Spring. We suspect the trail won’t be repaired/rebuilt until after those are established……

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nant Yr Arian… what's it like?’ is closed to new replies.