Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nant-y-arian
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

So I’m going to ride Nant-y-arian. I’ve sampled a few choice bits courtesy of the TransWales last year and want to go and do it properly. I’ll have a full day there and looking to linkup about 75km/5-6hours of riding so I appreciate I’ll need to repeat some stuff and I’m ok with that.

What would you recommend, in what order?

plodtv
    Free Member

I believe its possible to link the big trail (Syfydrin) with the Machenlleth trail (Mach 3) to make a 60km trail. I’ve ridden both trails but not done this myself yet. You can ride the trails back to back, which I’ve done but there will be a lot of repetition.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/machynlleth-worth-a-trip has some more tips

MrGreedy

If you do the Syfydrin trail that includes all the singletrack on the Pendam and Summit trails as well as some excellent rocky doubletrack and out in the hills riding. Once you get back to the top of the leg burner you can easily add on another lap of either/both the shorter trails to up the distance as required. Dead easy if you have a look at the trail map.

continuity
    Free Member

I would go with what MrGreedy said. Most of the stuff you do on the long loop is just dull doubletrack. I’d prefer to do the Syfydrin trail twice.

Except one thing; you end up missing out Hippity Hop. Do not miss out Hippity hop. That is all.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Follow the Syfydrin trail until you get to the res (Nant Y Moch), turn right over cattle grid and over dam wall on road, up hill turn left and carry on right through past road end and ford to left turn onto Mach 3, right up hill and down the Chute carrying on to Machynlleth. Restart Mach 3 till you get back to where you started on it and then fork left along sweet singletrack towards Anglers Retreat, through ford and gate along forest road to old mine workings, keep left and back to mountain road rejoining Syfydrin trail at Carn Owen, follow trail back to Nant Yr Arian via Bontgoch. A grand day out.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Cheers guys, some good stuff to look into there!

senorj

I did the Syfydrin trail last Monday – I really enjoyed it. Alot.
    I’m sure I did the hippity hop bit.
    I like the sound of pistonbroke’s route – I’ve done the mach3 before now and together it would make a cracking day out.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I can vouch for my route being 100% ridable as I designed Mach 1,2 and 3 about 12 years ago, even waymarked the Hyddgen to the bottom of the Chute section. I also organised Trailquests in this area for 8 years, before the Nant Yr Arian project was started. If you e mail me I’ll send a MMap file.

heihei

Did a great route which exteneded the Syfydrin route to about 55km last Saturday. It’s similar to Pistonbroke’s route but a bit shorter.

From meeting the road at the resevoir, turn right, over the dam then left, and at the end of the road continue down rocky track. Cross the bridge over the river and pick up the track heading N, turning left to the farm buildings at Hyddgen. Take the left fork bridleway 200m west of Hyddgen, climb a bit, then enjoy some cracking singletrack down Esgair Gorddi. Turn R at the track, then L through some fords to pick up the track alongside the Afon Lluestgota. At the top, in the old mine workings, turn L to take a great bit of downhill past Llyn Nantycagl. Turn L along road to rejoin the Syfydrin trail.

plodtv
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nant-y-arian’ is closed to new replies.