Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Names for cars, does yours have one and looking for ideas
  • naffa
    Free Member

I hold my hands up, I’ve never named any car Ive ever owned. Ive owned over 200 but have never bought one thinking this is one I’ll keep long term.
    However I now have a car I’m planning on keeping long term, i.e more than 12 months, and I thought that as I’ll be keeping ‘her’ I’ll give ‘her’ a name. So as Ive already assigned a gender type to the car what do you think would be a suitable name for ‘her’?
    Its a Mazda 6 Sport Nav in what Mazda call ‘soul red’. SO come on then, any good name suggestions please?

beej

Mazikeen.

And I’ve never named a car, bicycle or guitar.

Mister-P
    Free Member

My 1965 Beetle is called Otis. None of my modern cars have had names though.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My BMW is The Battlewagon. It bears scars.
    My Seat is Carlos the Cupra. Feisty.

I had an ancient Saab called Juan – numberplate was JUA ***N.

Most of my cars & vans have been called Hotel, Hotel II, Hotel III etc as I live out of them….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mine is called Susan.

RustySpanner

I was given a Daewoo Nexia once.
    Utter mince, but I loved it.
    It had soul and was named Shedric.

It even had the good grace to break down terminally outside my favourite pub.

I miss that car.

anagallis_arvensis

My motorbike is called Randall

longdog
    Free Member

Old LDV camper was Lullabelle De Ville.

Current zafira is show-love, and wife’s old Aygo was Dizzy Daisy, both from something in the reg letters.

Not a deliberately looked for thing. My bikes have names too, and I talk to them. I talk to the car too 😄

kelron
    Free Member

car

andeh

V70- Valerie (Handles like the Exxon Valdez….Val….Valerie)

Fabia – Fabien….for obvious reasons

FB-ATB

Louise?

Ours are called “the Golf” and “the Alhambra”.

Harry_the_Spider

My shitty Vectra was known as The Mighty Vectra.

andrewh
    Free Member

In order:
    The Tardis
    The Rust Bucket
    Percy
    The Toyota
    The Hyundai
    Tina
    The van
    Percy and Tina were both named by my then-girlfriend

Edukator
    Free Member

“Mazda”

I’ve never had trouble finding a name. Zoé, Lodgy, Peugeot… .

Talking to them definitely helps with things like coaxing them up to the ski resort without putting chains on. I’ve noted Madame talks to it like a horse except for the tongue clicking sounds to round it up or make it go.

Klunk
    Free Member

my mini was called Muhammad.

martymac

My forester is called gump.

reluctantjumper

My Fabia is called Milena.
    My Mini is called Georgie.

Both are keepers.

Klunk
    Free Member

my friends fiesta was called Charlie.

Klunk
    Free Member

Louise ?

vdubber67
    Free Member

I think naming cars is dumb, but each to their own. What really annoys me is when people advertise their vehicle (usually VW campers) with….”the time has come to put our van, Flossy, up for sale….”

Makes we want to buy the van and just burn it out in front of their house.

jimdubleyou

Just got a new Kuga.

In the Ford Pass app you can give your car a name.

Ours is called Freddie Kuga.

Daffy

Two. Hundred. Cars. WTF?!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Benoit the Berlingo, because he’s balls.

Colin, a good, solid, dependable but ultimately boring name for a boring car. However when no one was looking he became Colin the racing C-Maxerati, possibly the only C-max to have melted a set of front tyres and repeatedly accidentally got airborne over humps and bridges. Quite how he survived almost 10 years with me before being written off in an accident that wasn’t my fault I’m not sure!

Mr Toad the Midget. Because he’s green, and has a very classic sounding horn (or did at least untill I fixed it, now it just sounds like every other 1970’s car).

BadlyWiredDog

I hold my hands up, I’ve never named any car Ive ever owned. Ive owned over 200 but have never bought one thinking this is one I’ll keep long term.
    However I now have a car I’m planning on keeping long term, i.e more than 12 months, and I thought that as I’ll be keeping ‘her’ I’ll give ‘her’ a name.

I think you need a better reason than that – cars, and bikes for that matter, kind of name themselves in the sense that the name comes from you and your relationship with the car or bike. You can’t delegate something that personal to an internet forum full of strangers. It’s too personal, or it should be.

Names have nuance and stories. My road bike’s called Mog for reasons I’m not going into here, but make me smile. If I’d asked on here for a name for a Lynskey-made, Planet X Ti Pro Road, people would suggest, oh, I dunno, Linus or something. Fine, but not right.

I should probably get out more 🙁

Oh, and if you’re not a car name person, which you don’t seem to be, you’re arguably not a car name person. But give it time and the car should sort of name itself.

db

VW T6 is called Clio and Skoda Karoq is called Kelly

I name all my cars! Cars are like boats, they need a name.

naffa
    Free Member

Well theres some great names and story’s coming out here. The only name I could think of was Ruby, thats why I’m looking for inspiration. Or maybe as has been commented already I’m just not the kind of person to name a car.

Merak

You creepy bastard’s. The only thing worse than naming your car is referring to it as she.

Northwind

The naming of cars is a difficult matter… If it’s got one, it’ll let you know some day. Subtle hints add up and suddenly, you know the name and it’s really obvious.

(mine turned out to be Snorlax, because it’s a big fat Japanese sleeper)

sockpuppet

Two. Hundred. Cars. WTF?!

This was my thought too… I’ve owned 4. In 19 years. I expect to keep the fourth one a good few years yet. 12 months is not ‘long term’!

One was called Victor (from the number plate).

Others have variously been ‘Big Car’ or ‘Litle Car’ depending on, well, bigness.

brads
    Free Member

Strange thing to do and only carried out by weirdos.

slowoldman

Ive owned over 200 but have never bought one thinking this is one I’ll keep long term.

That seems fairly clear.

I only named one car I’ve owned. My green Renault 5. Kermit.

zoo200
    Free Member

I used to call mine the black basterd but apparently its not PC or something, which is a shame because its black and the flaming thing keep breaking down!

Dickyboy

Bertha – the only bike/car I’ve ever named, not quite sure why I did?

gauss1777
    Free Member

Gordon Banks?

CountZero

Mine was called Wexley when I brought it home by Joey, just because it’s last three letters of its reg are WEX.
    The only car I gave a name to was my Mk 1 Opel Manta, which I had resprayed metallic black, and put a set of slightly wider alloy 8-spokes on, and called it Sorceress, but I did take it to a variety of custom car shows, so fitting.
    Like this one, but all black…

If I had some spare cash, I’d track one down and have it stripped to bare metal and rebuilt with everything upgraded. Gorgeous car.

DezB
    Free Member

No name for my car. I once named a bike “Black Betty” – it was a black Yeti… sent a pic to the yeti fan site and when I saw the ‘name’ against the pic on the site I was rather embarrassed. Looked silly, so no, I don’t name things. Except maybe my new Throttle, I might call it the Yellow Peril… if I was a pillock 😂

FB-ATB

“The missus”?
    So if you use it for commuting, you get to go in the missus twice a day.
    You might even let your friends have a go in the missus.
    If you want her looking her best, you should wax the missus.
    And of course the missus needs regular servicing.
    When you reach your destination you can say you came in the missus.

reluctantjumper

You creepy bastard’s. The only thing worse than naming your car is referring to it as she.

All my cars that have been given names have had female names, they can never be male! They’ve also suggested their names too, the Skoda was named afte a flier for a business run by a Czech lady (gardening) and the Mini just suited Georgie as it’s a G reg Mini and I knew a Georgina who was a brunette who was also small and cute so I shortened it to Georgie. Both took a while for the names to be chosen, the Skoda almost 3 years and the Mini after I’d spent a few weeks working on her over the winter. She was going to be called Sophie but the only one of them I know is rather on the large size so it would have felt like I was taking the piss 🤣

My bikes are also named: Ellie (simple, basic hardtail but a good ride), Rachel (plain but dependable) and Louise (she’s always getting me into and out of trouble).

stumpy01

Hmmm. I suppose I have named one car.

We called it The Shitroen.

You may be able to work out why.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Berta the white golf estate.

Puff the magic Wagon, touran with no seats n the back.

no longer have a car but the next one will also be named.

If its soul red and cool as **** surely its got to be: Aretha, Nina (or Simone), Gladys etc

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Names for cars, does yours have one and looking for ideas’ is closed to new replies.