Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Names for a baby girl – HELP!!
  • TiRed

Something classic, and relatively easy to spell. This from someone with a ’60s name that is spelled incorrectly (but disproves nominative determinism).

I always wanted Imogen Grace, but had two boys. Three syllables always rolls well; Matilda, Sophia, Isabelle etc…

It HAS to pass the doorstep/supermarket test as you will lose her at some stage.

Sodajim

Lizzz sound advice!

I love our sons name Elliott but I still invent a nickname he gets call by every other week!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Can I suggest you don’t call her by her middle name. I’m known by my middle name and its a right pain in the arse and was a nightmare at secondary school in particular.

Rachel FTW

fd3chris
    Free Member

I love the name Seren, it means star .

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do like the name Elliott (mostly because of ET I reckon) but mrs blobby doesn’t 🙁

Not sure about Seren. I’ve got quite an unfamiliar Welsh name and I wouldn’t give such a name to a child. It can be a right pain.

iDave
    Free Member

Jemimah

fd3chris
    Free Member

Seren is actually Welsh, well Celtic 🙂

llanarthpalomino
    Free Member

Will have a go…. Felicity, has the translation of ‘ray of sunshine’ nice shorted variations such as fliss, flick and licy. Best of luck.

derekrides
    Free Member

I always liked the name Tamar but the breadknife wouldn’t let me use it.

Anyway as I’m feeling generous I’ll let you use a couple of my mothers names if you like, your little girl will love you for using them..

Winifred Gertrude.

Tell her she can thank me when she’s older.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Seren is actually Welsh, well Celtic

Yes, I know. My parents are Welsh, they gave me a silly Welsh name. Don’t do it!

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

how about leave it to the baby name shuffle

Rhian is a lovely name however I know someone with that name and she is always being called a mister and Ryan.
    If you pick a unique name there are a lot of people who will not be able to say it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just tried baby shuffle and it suggested Pratiroopa for a girls name… WTF?

Edit: Hmm out of 5 goes, 3 were indian names. Has babycentre.co.uk been off shored?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I went for simple names for my kids – my daughter is Ruth Elizabeth – you can have either of those, I’m sure my Ruthie won’t mind.

Bunnyhop

Just done a quick check and the most popular girl names in Britain are:
    Lily
    Olivia
    Ruby
    Sophie

There seemed to be a lot of flowers in there: Rose, Lily, Poppy, Daisy.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Our daughter is called Liliana, but I mostly call her Lilusza or Lilusz rather than Lili.I like the Polish adjustments, which essentially mean small and cute Lili 🙂 Will have to learn the adjustment for angry when she hits 13 I guess…

thegreatape
    Free Member

My daughter was going to be called Abigail Eve, until she came out with a penis on. So you can have that one too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dunno why, but I kinda like Darcy. 🙂

mugsys_m8

Micro mugsy is called Pia.

We love it. Obviously, as we chose to name her it!

djflexure

We sat outside the office with a kids name book for my first born after I decided I could not get on with what we had been calling him.
    Seriously if your wife likes something and you have no clear idea then let her decide.

hora
    Free Member

Bingo?

ash.addy
    Free Member

+2 for Seren but my fav is my little ones Nia. Short and sweet.

yunki
    Free Member

Hilda, Mabel or Squirrel..

nacho
    Free Member

Didn’t realise Lily was such a popular name (my 1st is Lily)
    Our second was going to be called Scarlett which I think is lovely
    But as we had a boy we abandoned the Scarlett idea!

SBrock
    Free Member

Called my daughter – Freya

Love the name name its a norsk love goddess!!

derekrides
    Free Member

Dereka
    Derekalina
    Derie

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Squirrel

I like it. Second name Red if you’re a bit middle class, and Gray if you’re a bit council.

grantway
    Free Member

Alexandra

luke
    Free Member

Our daughter is called Sophia the other names on our short list were lily, Hannah and ruby.

muddodger
    Free Member

I wanted Rachel Ellis if young muddodger was a girl, he wasn’t so it wasn’t to be! although this was nearly 20 years ago 😯

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Teela

Helva

Hera

Kara

carlosg
    Free Member

I got 2 boys but a girl would’ve been Ava Rose.

It’ll never happen now though unless I get a positive result from my 1st apres snip sample next month.

molgrips
    Free Member

Called my daughter – Freya

That’s also the Norwegian equivalent of Cadbury’s ie household chocolate manufacturer.. although it’s assimilated by Mars so a Freya bar is identical to a Mars bar.

As for Welsh names – depends if you live in Wales. They are all over the place here and everyone knows how to spell and pronounce them. Including knowing that Rhian is not pronounced like Ryan, which apparently is not known in the USA.

I have a baby first cousin once removed called Seren. It means ‘star’ in Welsh, but along those lines I prefer the latin Stella which was in the running for our kid’s name.

Sodajim

Guys thanks for all the advice and suggestions, I know its all personal preference but I think there are some lovely little names in there. Just going to put number 1 son to bed and then get down to deciding!!

Squirrel darcy dereka here we go! 🙂

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Our daughter is called Agnes.

If we’d had another girl instead of Arthur, then she’d have been called Edith, so that name wasn’t used and is spare.

donsimon
    Free Member

Thinking about it, something like Elsie could actually be a very practical. Think how much money she’ll save when it comes to buying a private reg number.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

Why don’t you invite your wife over to join us on the thread?

you and her can read all the suggestions and maybe you can agree on something?

My contribution is Pia which is my daughters’ name and Robyn which I really like (my friend daughter). I like Faustine but it’s french and maybe it doesn’t work in english.

molgrips
    Free Member

Faustine – after that bloke who sold his soul to the devil? Nice!

cheshirecat
    Free Member

One of the cheshirekittens is Laura.

Don’t know why, always loved the name

hora
    Free Member

Following the Amelie connection….

Audrey.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Myra

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Names for a baby girl – HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.