Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Names for a baby girl – HELP!!
  • Sodajim

I have been deliberating with my wife for the last four weeks trying to agree a first name for our baby daughter and I am looking for suggestions for a pretty and reasonably unheard name to bless her with.

My wife has her choice which she has stuck to all the way through but there is something about it which I can’t put my finger that I’m not quite happy with.

I must have thrown 30 suggestions to her which have all been rejected.
    Ultimately I will go with her choice but I wondered if anyone here has a girls name they think I can win her over with??

Our daughter is off to be registered tomorrow so I have to agree this by tonight and if we manage to find a name that my wife goes with I’ll send a pair of barely used folding tyres to the person who first posts the suggestion!
    I am bit of a Hora when it comes to tyres so have several sets of barely used tyres for the winner to choose from!

In effort not to offend anyone I won’t comment on any of the names but all serious suggestions will be gratefully recieved 😀

alfabus
    Free Member

Lucy (nice, simple, pretty and classic).

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Matilda Sodajim.

RustyMac

Are you looking for a long name or a short name for her? What is youir surname (is there any innitials combinations that would be a big no no)?

nealglover
    Free Member

What is your wife’s choice?

You may as well get used to typing it, it’s going to be your daughter’s name for a long time 😉

alfabus
    Free Member

do you have a surname that makes names difficult to choose?

e.g. my surname ends in Y, so any names ending in a Y sound are a no-no.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lara and Stella are current front runners if mrs blobby’s bump turns out to be a girl.

What does she like and what’s been rejected?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ariana

anagallis_arvensis

Bob

binners

Chardonnay?
    Chanel
    Mercedes?
    Pochahontis?

In all honesty, you can spend for ever debating names. I think everyone does. But then it’ll all go out of the window when you clap eyes on the little bugger once they’ve arrived.

You just look at them and sort of know. And it won’t necessarily be something you’ve even considered prior to them turning up 😀

hunterst
    Free Member

Eve

Pretty name, not pretentious, don’t hear it very often.

Could also pair it up with a nice middle name

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Shaniqua Sodajim.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just a nice simple ordinary name please – don’t inflict anything unusual on your child and remember to consider what the initials spell and what it will be shortened to

kayak23

Vajazzle?

donsimon
    Free Member

Emma.

carbon337
    Free Member

We wanted something traditional, simple and could be shortened if she wants when she gets older. Also it was my great grandmothers name who i was very close to when I was younger.

We chose Eleanor.

Not many of them about – she can get Ellie, Ella and my favourite Nora.

GW
    Free Member

Even if she’s born in May probably best not to go with “May” – never really liked the sound of Sodamay 😉

passtherizla
    Free Member

Islay or Isla depending on how you would like to spell it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Fanny

Always welcoming, and never forgetable.

andygreener

Lily
    Aimee/Amy
    Louise
    Hannah

prezet
    Free Member

We’re having exactly the same thing at the moment… currently I like Elsie, it was my nan’s name – never met her, she died around the time I was born.

RustyMac

as everyone else is just battering in there with names what about

Caitlin or
    Katarina

wrecker
    Free Member

Molly.

Sodajim

Some fine suggestions above thank you so far!

In response to the questions our surname is 2 syllables starting with “S and ending ER”

A couple that were rejected that I though were fine choices were
    Esmee – unfortunately I didn’t know that here friend had called her daughter this, and Georgia -reminds her of America apparently.

No real capital letters that I don’t like, I tend to like shorter names but then I’m open to anything, even Vajazzle!

poly
    Free Member

You were very unlikely to have the casting vote in naming your daughter. The fact you have suggested 30 names which have been rejected confirms this. The fact you are going to register the birth tomorrow means her mum has already decided. Start to like it – looking for alternatives is not the solution.

IHN

Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Harry_the_Spider

Bob.

Sodajim

Poly I am fairly aware of this though she she currently claims that she was unawre that I really wasnt to keen (!!) and recokons she is willing to change…. 😉

Nice name by the way! 🙂

RustyMac

That one has already been sudgested Harry. anagallis_arvensis beat you to it.

GrahamS

Five things to consider when choosing a name:

1) does it pass the doorstep test? (e.g. imagine shouting it from the doorstep in a your preferred regional accent: “How.. sshhaaarrr-don-eh, yer tea’s oot!”

2) Nicknames: What would you have called someone in school with that name? Be very careful with initials or anything that easily rhymes.

3) Nominative determinism

4) Meaning: what’s the meaning of your surname? How does that fit with the first name?

5) Alts: does the name offer your daughter any alternative versions/shortenings?

totalshell

no.1 one daughter we chose lauryn… no. 2 daughter we let 3 yr old no.1 choose.. she picked LUCY from the kids programme ’64 Zoo Lane’ best thing we did, nice name simple spelling sister obviously loves it

smoothchicken

I feel your pain and ended up reaching for the drink with my two whcih inspired both thier names. Isla (as in Islay whisky) and Ruby (as in port). No.3 on the way so name game in progress, not sure about Bacardi or Chardonnay but Jose, Jack and Cherry B may get a look in!

hels
    Free Member

Or just decide what name you want, make that her middle name (wife can’t refuse that surely ?) and refer to her as that instead and see what she responds to. It’s like the proverb of the Caucasian Chalk Circle. (well kind of) Let the kid decide what name it likes.

You don’t get summararily executed or anything for not using the name on the piece of paper.

Both of my parents were referred to by their middle names, I have no idea why.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

We’re having a baby in January so have also been bouncing names around.
    I think we’ve settled on a final for both boy and girl, and I’m not telling you those, but in very close second for a girl for us was Mia.

You can have that one if you want?

camo16
    Free Member

a pretty and reasonably unheard name

Rhian

Aidy
    Free Member

Cadence

philconsequence
    Free Member

maximus
    bumplesteelskin
    rhianyl (rhianna and cheryl mixed together for a guaranteed pop phenomenom
    shelly (short for bus-shelter)
    Rose (but pronounced ‘rose-ay’ like the wine)
    *looks around the office for inspiration*
    master copies
    conny (short for confidentiality, so she grows up good at keeping secrets)
    Abi (short for abilify, a dopamine system stabiliser)

Bregante

Thea

Thea \the()-thea\ as a girl’s name is pronounced THEE-ah. It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Thea is “goddess”. Short form of names like Althea, Mathea and Dorothea (Greek) “gift of God”. Mythology: the Greek goddess of light; mother of the sun, moon, and dawn. Actress Téa Leoni.

StuF

My 3 girls are:
    Bethan
    Esther
    and Iona

mrblobby
    Free Member

Interesting to check out what’s popular (and what has been popular)…. linky

Mia and Lily, very now. Lauren so 2001 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Names for a baby girl – HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.