Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Name this (?) newt…
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Found him under some asbestos sheeting that’d been on ground for >1yr, moved into sheltered housing.

Very distinctive very gold stripe down crest of tail.

Ta

camo16
    Free Member

Simon

qwerty
    Free Member

Ha, Ha!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I have one that size.

I called him Tiny because he’s my newt.

[edit] Google says it’s a smooth newt. I’d be careful about moving any newts as there’s lots of laws about it…

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

greater crested

BigJohn

Pistasa.

qwerty
    Free Member

greater crested

it is???????? 😀 😀 😀

A baby? male or female? No crest on it.

maxtorque

“Goldie looking newt” ??

yunki
    Free Member

Newton Faulkner..?

natrix
    Free Member

Well, he’s sat in your palm and he looks friendly so I’d say a Palmate newt 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No crest on it.

IIRC the crest is a seasonal thing associated with the aquatic/breeding period in the year.

There is no crest the rest of the year.

wwaswas

I’m still going with smooth newt:

great crested:

qwerty
    Free Member

qwerty
    Free Member

Above guide only mentions female great crested as having an orange stripe on tail, didn’t look too warty but was young, belly does look like wwaswas pic of a smooth newt, maybe skin looks a little bumpy in my first pic…

natrix
    Free Member

Seriously, I think it is a palmate newt. Smooth newts tend to have a spotty throat, see http://www.surrey-arg.org.uk/SARG/08000-TheAnimals/SARGSpeciesData.asp?Species=Palmate_Newt

Cougar

I’d be careful about moving any newts as there’s lots of laws about it…

Well, I laughed. Tough crowd, mate.

Drac

Rebecca but no one calls her Rebecca except her Brother.

tron
    Free Member

It’s been years since I’ve done anything newt related, so I’m not much help in IDing it. If it’s a GCN, they’re relatively easy to spot as they’re much bigger than the other species. The crest usually isn’t very obvious unless it’s actually in the water.

England basically has most of Europe’s greater crested newts, so whilst they’re endangered on a European scale, they’re not hugely uncommon.

neninja
    Free Member

If it’s Great Crested then it’s illegal to handle or disturb them without a license from Natural England (or other regional equivalent).

Up to £5000 fine and custodial of up to 6 months. Lets hope it’s Smooth or Palmate 😯

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Did you sauté it in butter or oil?
    Or, poach it a nice Chenin Blanc?

CountZero

I found a newt marching in a very purposeful manner across the floor of our warehouse once. We’re at least half a mile or so from the nearest water, so I’m damned if I know how it got there. I put it into a little plastic box with damp tissue, and took it to the nearest pond. I didn’t bother checking to see if it was a Great Crested before moving it, or if I needed a licence; it was a sure thing that if I didn’t, a half-ton forklift would render it geography.
    I called it Tiny, too; what a coincidence! 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I found a newt marching in a very purposeful manner across the floor of our warehouse

Not inebriated then ? It just goes to show how reputations can such an exaggeration sometimes.

wwaswas

Not inebriated then

Probably just tired and emotional.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I like the Palmate gag 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

If it’s Great Crested then it’s illegal to handle or disturb them without a license from Natural England (or other regional equivalent).

Up to £5000 fine and custodial of up to 6 months. Lets hope it’s Smooth or Palmate

I think i should point out that my thread title of Name this (?) newt… indicates that i did not & do not and at no point never have know the true breed of this newt. I would like to point to the photographic evidence above that clearly shows my 7.75 year old son handling this unknown newt & not me, i have since informed my 7.75 year old son of his potential crime and his risk of detention in a penal colony, he is now inconsolable, i left him in tears at school. In my sons defence the said newt was residing in an area hazardous to his health so my sons actions could be interpreted as humanitarian. Anyone know any good legal aid specializing in nature crime?

shermer75
    Free Member

Question mark

brooess
    Free Member

You are Gussie Fink-Nottle and I claim my five pounds!

natrix
    Free Member

I put the photos on the RAUK (Reptiles Amphibians UK) forum and the newt people agree that it’s most likely a palamte newt. The location would help to confirm the ID.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Brill. And with that, I christen him Isaac.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@brooess – [whisper] Eulalie [/whisper] 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Name this (?) newt…’ is closed to new replies.