• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Name these bits
  • rossburton
    Free Member

Mid-build and as usual I’ve a small bag of parts that I can’t remember the use of…  pretty sure they came with the shifter if that helps.  I’m also fairly sure I went through this exact thing two years ago…

So, what do I have?

timoth27

I think the silver part if for attaching I spec shifter to brake

russyh
    Free Member

Depending on size, the metal bolt looks like a road bike Caliper bolt  and the other black items look like cable outer ends.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

John, Paul, Ringo and George.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sex Toys

rossburton
    Free Member

Huh I thought I used all the bits to attach the I-Spec lever to the brake.  I’ll dig out the manual for that!

I’ve used “normal” cable ends at both ends.  What end do these pointed ones go at?

Phil_H

The black things are 2 tounges & a shield.

They go on the end of a gear cable before it goes on an exposed section to seal the outer from water ingress. The narrow bit pokes through the cable stop on the frame and the rubber bit slides over the tounge and cable.from the other side to form a seal.

If you are using full length outers you don’t need them

rossburton
    Free Member

Aha http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-MBSL001-01-ENG.pdf suggests that the right most and one of the middle two are to be used if the cable has exposed sections.  I don’t have any open runs.

It also doesn’t show the leftmost part in any of the I-spec installation.

Edit – beaten to it by Phil!

mrpeaski
    Free Member

Silver ‘bolt’ is to direct mount shimano shifter to shimano brake think this is ispec A

2 plastic bits with ‘tail’ are outer cable ferules

rubber bit goes on either ferule to help seal out crap.(inner cable passes through it)

Could use the ferule and rubber part at the end of the rear mech cable. Ferule should go through the adjuster, then slide on the rubber before attaching the inner to the mech bolt.

Beaten to it!!

andy4d

The black rubbers are indeed cable ends that I too have a collection of as i dont use them. Maybe I should, but dont see a reason to (or know exactly how/where to put them).

rossburton
    Free Member

Turns out the cable end with a groove and a needle end is designed to lock into the shifter.

DezB
    Free Member

yep, the one second from the right is the same as goes in a Shimano Road STi unit to hold the cable in the side of the shifter.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Name these bits’ is closed to new replies.