Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Name them please – charities that work in africa
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

which build things, like schools, hospitals, water stuff etc…….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wateraid

Oxfam

Two that I contribute to

mbydmt
    Free Member

Childreach International

crikey
    Free Member

Bob Geldof.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ll see your Bob Geldof and raise you a Lenny Henry

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

UNICEF

5thElefant
    Free Member

Save the Children.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Can we ask why?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

there must be literally thousands

ernie_lynch
    Free Member
    ianpinder
    Free Member

Well, in an ideal optimistic world, I would like to raise enough money, i’e’ 40-50k, enough to build a couple of classrooms etc, then go out as a civil engineer and help construct it, as a pm type bloke….

toby1

I know sonmeone involved with the US version of thisEngineers without borders and she’s often heading off on big projects to work with them, as an engineer it sounds like it might be a fit for you?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This for your african holiday IanPinder? Worked out how you gonna raise the money yet?

ianpinder
    Free Member

tj, I have a few ideas. everything needs to be set in stone

maccruiskeen

How about http://www.habitatforhumanity.org.uk/

For general interest rather than anything specific to Africa, this might be an interesting read
    KAPIT and more Kapit I spent sometime with some Architects who’d been out to help rebuild after the Earthquake – intentionally in the same role as your own. From their experience I’d say something you need to be prepared for is the help you want to give and the help people want might not be the same thing.

Anyway I thought KAPIT was facinating, KARAVAN isn’t an aid agency – its more the equivalent of English Heritage – aiming to preserve traditional vernacular architecture. However it was exactly that architecture that killed so many people in the earthquake – so now rather than preserving a tradition – they are creating a new vernacular that will be safer next time the earth moves

grum
    Free Member

My friend runs http://www.steppingstonesnigeria.org/ – working to help children accused of witchcraft in the Niger Delta. Was featured on a C4 doc a while ago.

Smaller charities are much more efficient!

intode_void
    Free Member

Grum, I’ve spent a number of years in a few “3rd World” areas and could happily list a host of inefficiencies, mismanagement and corruption by lots of NGOs both large and small 😥

headfirst
    Free Member

http://www.funzi.org.uk/

This is a small charity that I know of, as I teach the founder’s daughter, you might feel like you can make a bigger impact in something like this?

Rastapopolous
    Free Member

I can heartily recommend Butterfly Tree.

http://www.thebutterflytree.org.uk/pages/

A small but very well run charity that helps provide water, education and medical facilities for orphaned children in Zambia. They actively encourage people to go out and help them with construction work.

ianpinder
    Free Member

@ Rasta, that’s exactly whaat I was looking for…. through the links of someone else I found another called, buildaschool or something like that.

So the rough plan is raise about £20k doing the tour d’afrique and getting sponsored, (some people think this is optimistic, but oh well) and then get my company to double it, (they have already partially agreed) and then once I’ve raised enough money go and build a school in africa….

Rastapopolous
    Free Member

Nice one!

Be sure to post your sponsorship details on here. 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Name them please – charities that work in africa’ is closed to new replies.