Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Nadine! Dorries!
  • pondo

The gift that keeps on giving.

Dorries mixes up codes at Rugby League World Cup bunfight

Where DO they find these people?

leffeboy

I’d be surprised if she wrote that speech herself though

IHN

Which makes it funnier, one of her staff set her up. And, let’s be honest, you would if you could.

To the wider, more important point though, even by the woefully low standards of the current crop of ministers, she is spectacularly unqualified for the job

MoreCashThanDash

Don’t be mean, she’s doing her best etc etc…

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

The public are sick of experts…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

To the wider, more important point though, even by the woefully low standards of the current crop of ministers, she is spectacularly unqualified for the job

That’s not true, not at all.

By the current standards her being spectacularly unqualified makes her exceptionally qualified for the job in hand.

They’re only there to do as they’re told and make Boris look like the least worst option. Sadly they’re doing a good job at both.

Sandwich

The public are sick of experts…

Some basic competence wouldn’t go amiss before we try the advanced expertise stuff.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Some basic competence wouldn’t go amiss

In this instance that is a bit mean, most people who don’t live in the m62 corridor – probably including the one who wrote the speech, I don’t think it’s likely to be a stitch up – won’t have a clue or care there is more than one “rugby”.

It’s not like she confused it with cricket.

grahamt1980

Blame the inhabitants of Bedford for that example of a humanoid shaped object being an mp

Richie_B

How long do you have to edit comments on this forum? (I only ask because I described the cabinet as a bunch of third raters on the Boris Johnson thread)

desperatebicycle

That’s bloody brilliant.
    Leicester Tigers to win the next State of Origin series!

Minister for sport ffs!

slowoldman

In this instance that is a bit mean, most people who don’t live in the m62 corridor…

Dorries, born in Liverpool. OK, OK. not exactly League country.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Dorries, born in Liverpool

The word you’re looking for is spawned.

But yes, point taken.

So far as clueless goes mind I doubt she realises they have two* football clubs. That said I don’t think most Liverpool or Everton fans would admit that have two.

*obviously rather more than that but you get the point.

ElShalimo

yet only a few miles from St Helens, Wigan, Warrington, Leigh etc.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Is it just me…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

St Helens, Wigan, Warrington, Leigh etc.

Not exactly famous for their union sides mind… (Sale being the only one that immediately springs to mind)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is it just me…

Yep

Houns

No…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Don’t listen to Houns. It’s just him too.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The caption under the photograph of her might explain the problem.

convert

In this instance that is a bit mean, most people who don’t live in the m62 corridor – probably including the one who wrote the speech, I don’t think it’s likely to be a stitch up – won’t have a clue or care there is more than one “rugby”.

She’s the chuffing minister of sport. And the speech writer employed to give her something to say is employed to write for the chuffing minister of sport. Sport, not defence or health. The easy gig. The one that is simpler to get right. And she still **** it up.

A spot of Rumsfeld feels appropriate here…..this mob have so many unknown unknowns that they don’t know that they don’t know, it makes them flipping scary.

Houns

😂

nbt

Not exactly famous for their union sides mind…

Orrell were quite successful for a few years, then collapsed when union went professional

MrOvershoot

stevenmenmuir

That has to be deliberate 😉

dc1988

I’ll have you know she’s not MP for Bedford, rather mid Bedfordshire which doesn’t encompass Bedford

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

this mob have so many unknown unknowns that they don’t know that they don’t know

They don’t have any unknown unknowns, everything is an unknown, so it’s easy to know they don’t know it.

She’s the chuffing minister of sport

Yes, true, and I’m not suggesting that it’s a perfectly reasonable thing for her not to know, more that it’s not incomprehensible that she wouldn’t. Let’s face it, on a list of things that prove she isn’t qualified for the sport part of her brief not knowing the different codes of rugby isn’t even going to feature. She’s then got three other distinct portfolios in her brief to be equally inadequate for.

And the speech writer employed to give her something to say is employed to write for the chuffing minister of sport.

And is likely not a pick of the current govt but a departmental staffer. Probably one qualified to be a senior CS by virtue of which school they went to.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ll have you know she’s not MP for Bedford, rather mid Bedfordshire which doesn’t encompass Bedford

Do you think she knows that?

Sandwich

In this instance that is a bit mean

I don’t live in the M62 corridor and I know the differences between the two codes, I don’t really follow either. As has been stated above she’s minister for culture and sport, better she remains silent and thought a fool. . .

If you want to see mean have a read of Chris Patten’s recent interview in the Guardian.

kelvin

Yeah, but does she know that?

EDIT: TOO SLOW !!!

kelvin

To be honest, I was going to defend her… I’ve played both and still get it wrong! But then I saw what event she was speaking at, and that she was giving a speech about the sport, not just chatting off the cuff. It’s as if her and her team haven’t even tried. Embarrassing.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

EDIT: TOO SLOW !!!

You’ve still time to change it to

As has been stated above she’s minister for culture and sport,

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

t’s as if her and her team haven’t even tried. Embarrassing.

You see, now you’re confusing rugby with cricket.

It’s harder than it looks this sport malarkey.

kelvin

You see, now you’re confusing rugby with cricket.

Did you miss my (poor) “try” joke? [ works in both League and Union, well, I say “works”… ]

You’ve still time to change it to

👏🏼

I think she’s well aware what her job title is, just has no idea what it entails. Or rather it used to entail… before half the cabinet roles were transformed into talking/campaigning rather than governing jobs.

pondo

To my disbelief, on hearing it, it’s actually worse than I thought. 🙂

Brace yourself

dissonance

But then I saw what event she was speaking at, and that she was giving a speech about the sport, not just chatting off the cuf

I dont have any real interest in rugby and so dont have a clue about the difference between the two.

However I do know there is a difference and so would have invested a few minutes in learning the basics rather than tweeting support for Johnson.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Me too, for several reasons. Not the least of which is that she’s so thick that it must hurt.

But this is the whole point of the modern libertarian hard-right – they find the least suitable candidates, give them a hotline to whichever opaquely funded think tanks are en-vogue and put them in a cabinet post. We saw it in the Hungary, the US and now the same thing is happening here. The only people I can think of that are even thicker than Dorries are her constituents, who’ve kept her in a job since 2010.

martinhutch

Two Dorries threads on the front page. It truly is the end-times.

Northwind

It’s not just “she doesn’t understand her brief”, though that’s no surprise considering the channel 4 stuff. It’s “here is a little story I will tell you about how normal and human I am when enjoying your sport, which is clearly completely made up and was provided by a scriptwriter”. Dorres is from the post-truth world where there’s literally no value placed on truth or lies or reality or not. I understand why people lie for a reason but she just lies because there’s a y in the day. Is her name even Nadine? Who knows. Maybe someone just handed her a bit of paper that said “You are now nadine dorres” and she read it out.

Cougar

See, this is what I never understood with our politics.

We can argue that Dorries is thick as mince, and we can point at laugh that when the Minister for Sport was asked at a sporting event for her favourite moment in that sport she regaled them with a tale from an entirely different sport. But.

Why is she in that position in the first place? Why are any of them in the positions they’re in? Surely it make sense to have ministers who have knowledge and at least a vague interest in their field rather than (say) a transport minister who was shocked to discover that ports are slightly important to a goddamn island nation? And then when they just might start to have an inkling of what they’re doing we have a reshuffle and everyone gets new jobs?

Is it just me? Am I missing something here, or is it absolutely barking? You wouldn’t do it in a corporate environment, rock up one day and go “right, Sales, you’re now in Engineering. Engineers, you’re all in Accounts. Accountants, you’re off to HR.” I admit I’m a late starter to the wold of politics but it makes absolutely no sense to me.

funkmasterp

Do you think she knows that?

If not does she know that she doesn’t know it? Is it a known unknown or an unknown unknown. Makes you think.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.