Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • N Wales (ish) Biking/Running recommendations
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got a week off work next week.  I will be based in Oswestry and look for mtb/runs hopefully in big hills/mountains up to 1.5hrs drive away.

My only real current thought is biking up Cadair Idris.

What other routes would people recommend mtb or running, prob a max of 4 hrs at a time.

I’ve done Snowdon straight up/down before on the bike so not that bothered about doing it again.

Thanks

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bump ?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’ve always enjoyed Cadair Idris.

You also have the Long Mynd area and Eastridge woods both just  South of Shrewsbury. Llandegla to the north off you which has some nice more natural off piste stuff. North of you you’ve also got Drum mountain and the hills west above Conwy( not been here myself but mean too)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Stwlan Dam climb from just outside Blaenau Ffestiniog is a bit different, closed to cars, rated very highly by some…

https://www.strava.com/segments/1398283

coley
    Free Member
    beicmynydd
    Free Member

Not sure about stwlan dam, there is some work going on by the hydropower company and parts of the road had  been dug up.  Check out the climb to manod quarry opposite  side of the valley, starts from ffestiniog.

There is also marchlyn dam climb  similar to stwlan.

Road bike climbs.

thesquaredog
    Free Member

Assuming you are not from Oswestry and haven’t already done these:-

Trail Running:-

Long Mynd up Ashes Hollow and down Carding Mill Valley.

Up and back down the forest track to Rodney’s Pillar on Breidden Hill. Some nice views at the top.

Plenty of ace trail running in and around Nesscliffe woods.

Mountain biking:-

Long Mynd. There’s a trail map online somewhere.

Llandegla and check out Llantysilio mountain nearby.

There’s some good riding on Berwyn mountain but I guess it will be bog central at the moment.

Eastridge woods and the Stiperstones and Hopton Woods which is brilliant this time of year.

Cadair Idris a good day out but quite a drive.

There’s also the Marin trail, Coed Y Brenin etc within 1.5 hours as well as the superb (IMHO) Nant Yr Arian.

Stu

stever
    Free Member

If you can work the logistics the Clwyds end to end is a cracking run – Llandegla to Bodfari. The Carneddau at good running hills too, Ogwen out and back for however long you want.

olly2097
    Free Member

Why not just stay local. There is loads. Just run out of town up the racecourse and down through the candy woods.

Or ride. Again out of town and up round the Glyn valley. Plenty of green lanes and bridleways. Loads of riding round the Berwyns.

Could run the wayfarer. Could bike the wayfarer.

Cheeky rides from town include the candy woods, llynclys common and llynclys quarry. All have really good routes made by the kids that can be made into a nice loop from the town itself.

tillydog
    Free Member

check out Llantysilio mountain

I know the suggestion was well intentioned, but please don’t. It was badly damaged by fire earlier this year and is very, very fragile – the heather was completely burnt away (roots and all) over large areas, and there’s nothing holding the soil together. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was washed bare this winter. The fire burned for almost 6 weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45253063

Please spread the word – it needs time to recover.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘N Wales (ish) Biking/Running recommendations’ is closed to new replies.