Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • N Wales – base for a lads trip
  • brack
    Free Member

Heading up there in mid May.

Plan – climb Tryfan,bike Coed y brenin ( or other?), and SUP somewhere ? Rhosneiger?

Location – near as dammit to a couple of pubs and central to all our activities

Pref a cottage that sleeps 8 / or one of these Ger/ Yurt trendy glamps

Any ideas ?

jekkyl

Betwys Coed

summittoppler
    Free Member

Yep. It has to be Betws y Coed for a central location for any activity in Snowdonia.

jekkyl

it has loads of pubs, restaurants & waterfalls – the Marin trail & penmachno right on the doorstep.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

There’s a bunk house in Dolgelleu just down the road from CyB, that is owned by the guys that used to have the cafe at CyB, good location, decent pubs near by and within distance of everything, damned if I can remember the name though

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d seriously have a look at Machynlleth as well.

hammerite
    Free Member

Last May we stayed at Ogwen Bank in one of the lodges (family trip). http://www.ogwenbank.co.uk/ has a pub onsite. Little bit away from CyB, although we managed a trip there on the way to the lodge. Perfect for Tryfan and Snowdon though. The site backs on to the Lon Las cycle way too

Few years ago stayed in the Vagabond in Betws y Coed which for a lads trip was pretty good too.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

About 40 of us descend on the Glan Aber hotel in Betws every year. It has bunkhouse or hotel rooms to suit varying budgets within the group, welcomes bikers and such and does a decent breakfast too. About 2 minutes walk from everything in town.

frogstomp

There are log cabins just down the road from CyB which sleep 6-8 (or get 2 next to each other). CyB is a 10 minute ride from the site and ByC and Snowdon are not too far, plus there is a pub on site..

rhid

If you want Rhosniegr too I’d be looking around Llanberis and ride Penmachno + Marin. Loads of campsites, bunkhouses, Hotels and pubs. Also near enough to Bangor and Caernarfon should you want to sample the high life there.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

have a look here there are good links

http://www.anturstiniog.com/accommodation-snowdonia-blaenau-ffestiniog/

The centre is near Penmachno, Marin Train and CYB

binners

Bala. Everyone’s trip will be greatly enlivened by that impending sense of doom as you walk into any of the local pubs. That slaughtered lamb moment as all the cross-eyed hunchbacks turn and stare at you in unison, blinking in disbelief at your bizarre, unrecognisable form, with your ten toes, non-webbed fingers, and only two arms.

What fate will your future hold? As you cower at the bar, while the locals sniff you, like dogs. Will they feel threatened by you, and beat you to death with splintered bones, like the monkeys at the beginning of 2001, only less intelligent. Or… horror of horrors… will they see an opportunity to widen their stagnant-since-the-dawn-of-time gene pool puddle, by attempting to breed with you 😯

brack
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies…

Binners – a career in literature me thinks?

geoffj

Also near enough to Bangor and Caernarfon should you want to sample the high life there.

😯

rudebwoy
    Free Member

my B-in-law runs the Gerlan Bunkhouse above bethesda– discounts for group bookings– 5 mile to tryfan, you also have the carnneddau behind you, some good routes up there for scrambling, bethesda is a working town, with five pubs, a few cafes, a decent indian takeaway -think its £13 per night or maybe less with discount–all bedding provided etc…

martinhutch

Holyhead. For nightlife with the invigorating whiff of potential violence around every corner.

Betws-y-Coed is a central, decent call for pubs, food and accommodation.

geoffj

I hear Bethesda is nice at this time of year.

lapierrelady

Can I recommend http://www.tynant.me.uk/
    We’re going back for the second time next week- it’s finished to a high spec, comfy, and reasonably priced.
    It also has a heated bike store/tinker room!
    10 mins to coed y brenin

rudebwoy
    Free Member

depends what you like/want–betsws y coed–choclate box tourist place–bethesda is a working town, there is llanberis, more climbing orientated, myself, i would camp in capel curig— plenty of alehouses, central enough–what floats yer boat..

jag61

lol@binners sums the place up well used to go there often for slalom competitions on the trywryn. worked in holywell for a while ..makes bala look a hole lot better not a great fan of these areas really 😯

boblo
    Free Member

I may (dependant on availability) be able to sort you out with a climbing club cottage just above Bethesda. PM m if you wish to find out more.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I can highly recommend Bikers Retreat in Dolgellau. Been going for the last five years. Excellent hosts, secure bike storage, bike washing facilities, drying room, etc

rascal
    Free Member

Betws good location but I’ve always found it quite limiting for beers…Dolgellau has more pubs but is very provincial (and I say that being Welsh). Forget Llanberis – Muppetsville. Camping in Capel Curig is a good shout…or camping at Llyn Gwynant near Beddgelert – great site and access to big mountains but no pubs close by so take a vanload with you 😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If camping try http://www.caegwynfarm.co.uk 2 mins from CyB maybe not quite as close to pubs.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘N Wales – base for a lads trip’ is closed to new replies.