Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Myth/Truth/Things you were told that were or mighgt be a bit true
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Was reminded of this the other day – In the 70s I had long 70s hair. One evening an older friend of ours told us to keep away from bats as they will fly down and get stuck in your hair. I believed this, unquestioning. Only recently reconsidered that he might’ve just been trying to freak us out! Echo-location would be a bit crap if they flew into

I dunno, seemingly if you put a blanket out vertically you can catch them as it doesn’t reflect.

Obviously that should say ‘flap’. I could edit the typo but…

And now I’m never going to look at those Bug-a-salt guns the same again.

maccruiskeen

I remember the collective shock wave across the internet  (in a pre Facebook era) as the North West English diaspora realised at once that Purple Aki was real. It was like a disturbance in the force.

maccruiskeen

And now I’m never going to look at those Bug-a-salt guns the same again.

Officer I was just cleaning it and it went off in my hand.

nicko74

It’s more likely to rain on a Thursday than any other day of the week. Told to me at school; the logic being something around factories run Monday to Friday, and by Thursday the concentration of particulates in the air is high enough to cause cloud formation and precipitation.
    Always sounded quite plausible, but I never bothered to check if it was true.

thols2

I remember the collective shock wave across the internet (in a pre Facebook era) as the North West English diaspora realised at once that Purple Aki was real.

I’m still not sure what to believe about Purple Aki.

binners

87% of swans have sneaked into someones bedroom during the night and repeatedly whispered to them that swans can break your arm, in order to maintain their tyrannical grip on a fearful nation as the mythical scourge of the fracture clinic

IdleJon

It’s more likely to rain on a Thursday than any other day of the week. Told to me at school; the logic being something around factories run Monday to Friday, and by Thursday the concentration of particulates in the air is high enough to cause cloud formation and precipitation.

Our weekly night ride is on a Thursday. It definitely feels like the weather is worse on a Thursday than on any other day of the week. (I ride all week, so obviously this can’t possibly be bias confirmation! 😀 )

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The chewing gum thing isn’t entirely without foundation.

It doesn’t digest and can harden over time which has, on rare occasion, been known to block the intestine of children with poor digestive motility.

I’d wager they didn’t swallow one tiny piece either but probably a whole packet of that menthol licorice pk stuff you used to get in a single go.

IdleJon

Just going back to the first post:

I will pass on my paternal grandmothers pearl of wisdom. Girls can only get pregnant when gorse is in bloom.

Your granny was right, gorse can bloom all year round. There’s plenty of the stuff on the coast around here, and I’ve seen it in full bloom in the middle of the winter.

From https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/ :

It generally flowers from January to June (although it may flower sporadically throughout the year), while its close relatives – Western gorse and dwarf gorse – flower from July to November. Common gorse is a large shrub and a member of the pea family.

I didn’t know it was a pea!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Masturbation will make you go blind

@ Maccruisekeen I had a friend who he approached in a Warrington Gym.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Conkers can repel spiders & earwigs can give you a nasty bite.

Cougar

Masturbation will make you go blind

Can I not just do it until I need glasses?

jambourgie
    Free Member

As kids we were kept quiet by being sat in front of the telly watching that trippy off-air holding screen thing. You know, the little girl playing noughts and crosses with a clown or something. Crafty adults used to tell us that occasionally the girl would stab the clown in the eye with the chalk. We’d watch for ages before turning round in disbelief, whereupon they’d point to the telly and shout “there! you missed it!”

Not true.

onehundredthidiot

Put bicarb on a bee sting and vinegar on a wasp sting. Just nonsense although vinegar may denature the venom it’d have to get under your skin so be injected in.

Come to mind as I’ve just had to change a test to remove this question.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cooling towers actually cloud factories.
    Wind is caused by trees moving their branches, like giant fans.

ta11pau1

I’ve cream vans only sound their chimes when they’ve run out of ice cream.

Oh and also (having just had to re-type ‘their’ 5 times), “I before E except after C”.

Bollox.

Cougar

You know, the little girl playing noughts and crosses with a clown or something.

Test Card F. The little girl was the designer’s daughter.

IdleJon

You know, the little girl playing noughts and crosses with a clown or something.

Test Card F. The little girl was the designer’s daughter.

You think…

Myth/Truth/Things you were told that were or mighgt be a bit true

😀

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

“I before E except after C” when the sound is EEEE

Without the last bit there are so many exceptions that it isn’t much use. Mind you, this works best with a strong Chorley accent where they pronounce their as thee-er

Cougar

Beat me to it.

funkmasterp

My brother told me that spare ribs actually came from people who were born with too many and had to have them removed, hence the name. I didn’t eat them for years as a result. To be fair I was about six when he told me this, the bastard.

ta11pau1

That’s just reminded me of the foreskins scene from Preacher… 🤣

leffeboy

so you shouldn’t fap at them in a panic. No?

i may just have strained something laughing at picturing that.  thank you

not

Sandwich

Haven’t tried this one but I’m pretty sure that swords are better if you want to stab someone.

You’ve not seen Jason Bourne do his thing with a Bic? Bourne in a Rymans branch would need some serious fire-power to dislodge.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.